My sheltie, Jax, will be two this month and he weights 25#, is about 15-16" tall and long in the body. He is a very high energy dog, and most days he gets at least a two or more mile walk. He was on Fromms kibble for the first 1-1/2 years and I have switched around to other high-quality foods. Now eating Acana and I am thinking about buying the dehydrated food. My local pet store gave me a few samples of Honest Kitchen and and Mila and devoured it. It is expensive so i thought i could use as a "topping" on the kibble.
Anywho, cut to the chase...my vet thinks he is too thin. He says he is in his prime (about 18 month at the time) and should be more filled out and not as bony. I have always been able to feel his spine, even as a puppy. He suggested feeding him more - he gets two cups of the Acana, but doesn even touch it until early afternoon, then finishes his second bowl late in the evening. He also suggested indulging him more with treats. Previous shelties always ate first thing in the morning. He appears to be perfectly fine. High energy, playful, always ready to play ball or go fora walk and he DOES eat, though not ravenous first thing in the morning. Another reason I was thinking about adding the dehydrated food and sweet potatoes to his kibble to help him gain weight.
I am posting because i know there are breeders here and knowledgable sheltie owners who know the breed. I have had all shapes and sizes of shelties and he is just on the thin side. Two were more compact in the body and shorter in length. One was built more like Jax, but taller. I was not too worried about his weight, but the vet has planted the seed. Should i be worried about malabsorption? What other symptoms might he exhibit. He has not been neutered yet. Stil trying to decide about that. Purposely waited due to the growth plate issues, etc.
Suggestions?
Anywho, cut to the chase...my vet thinks he is too thin. He says he is in his prime (about 18 month at the time) and should be more filled out and not as bony. I have always been able to feel his spine, even as a puppy. He suggested feeding him more - he gets two cups of the Acana, but doesn even touch it until early afternoon, then finishes his second bowl late in the evening. He also suggested indulging him more with treats. Previous shelties always ate first thing in the morning. He appears to be perfectly fine. High energy, playful, always ready to play ball or go fora walk and he DOES eat, though not ravenous first thing in the morning. Another reason I was thinking about adding the dehydrated food and sweet potatoes to his kibble to help him gain weight.
I am posting because i know there are breeders here and knowledgable sheltie owners who know the breed. I have had all shapes and sizes of shelties and he is just on the thin side. Two were more compact in the body and shorter in length. One was built more like Jax, but taller. I was not too worried about his weight, but the vet has planted the seed. Should i be worried about malabsorption? What other symptoms might he exhibit. He has not been neutered yet. Stil trying to decide about that. Purposely waited due to the growth plate issues, etc.
Suggestions?

