visitor/invader?

tesslynn

Forums Enthusiast
Life with shelties is just so amusing. This morning we had a visitor...sitting outside of the glass slider was our squirrel peering in, it has NEVER done that before. Usually it hangs out in the trees, or on the pergola over the patio. Kaleigh has chatted with it many mornings...it makes chirping noises sitting in a tree, and Kaleigh replies with soft woofs. But this morning, being right there at the door. I thought I was going to lose a door as both dogs went nuts BARKING and trying to get through the closed door. OMG, not sure what prompted the interaction, but highly entertaining...Mean person that I am, I opened the door and both were in hot pursuit...I don't want the squirrel coming that close
 
Much excitment. No, we like to keep our wildlife way out in the fields where they belong. We have the same scenario, though, with a bat or three that come to get bugs from the porchlight. I end up with 3 cats and 3 dogs lined up watching the bat right outside the door. Ick.
 
My little boys are now 8 months old and they had discovered the squirrels few days ago....It's funny their faces under the trees looking at them while they seem to laugh to them because they can't catch them...:lol:

But I don't want them to get in contact with the squirrels bacause they could transmit rabia...although they are vacinated it could be dangerous or have healthy problems....

Some people in the park leave bread for the squirrels and my male dog steels the bread to the squirrels...:uhoh:
 
Some people in the park leave bread for the squirrels and my male dog steels the bread to the squirrels...:uhoh:

:lol: Any food item available is always fair game for a Sheltie...they are such foodies...although mine think that bread should always have some peanut butter spread on it!

Trini
 
Oh, those critters... attached is a picture of "all day, every day" at our apartment in NJ last winter. The suet feeder is for the small birds (it was a deadly bad winter), and Shirley Squirrel there would climb all over the screen door to try to get to it. Meanwhile, Betty Cocker would watch... and whine... and whine...
 

Attachments

  • IMG_4850.jpg
    IMG_4850.jpg
    35.7 KB · Views: 34
Great posts, love reading them. Oh yes the squirrels, we have Rocky and he is a riot. He runs the fence line with my two. Rocky plays on the patio but the shelties just watch him through the patio door. They tell Rocky don't go on our fence or touch our trees, cause we will herd you. FUN!
 
Oh, those critters... attached is a picture of "all day, every day" at our apartment in NJ last winter. The suet feeder is for the small birds (it was a deadly bad winter), and Shirley Squirrel there would climb all over the screen door to try to get to it. Meanwhile, Betty Cocker would watch... and whine... and whine...

Your Betty Cocker is a very well behaved lady...mine would have been going totally bananas with a squirrel that close! I have all my bird feeders located at least 50' from the house or there would be zero peace around here.

Trini
 
Your Betty Cocker is a very well behaved lady...mine would have been going totally bananas with a squirrel that close! I have all my bird feeders located at least 50' from the house or there would be zero peace around here.

Trini

She is a very good girl! She is one of those little dogs that tries so hard and is over the moon if you tell her she's done well. (Though this doesn't preclude the occasional unspooled toilet paper roll or stolen sock... sometimes she just can't help herself.)

Once she learned that I didn't want her to bark and hit the glass, she would grab her favorite squeaky toy whenever she saw the squirrel and would just squeak-squeak-squeak it instead - while staring at the squirrel. I don't know if it's a gundog thing ("I feel better when I have something in my mouth") or some transferred prey drive ("I will munch on this toy like I wish I could munch on that critter"), but it sure is cute.
 
Once she learned that I didn't want her to bark and hit the glass, she would grab her favorite squeaky toy whenever she saw the squirrel and would just squeak-squeak-squeak it instead - while staring at the squirrel. I don't know if it's a gundog thing ("I feel better when I have something in my mouth") or some transferred prey drive ("I will munch on this toy like I wish I could munch on that critter"), but it sure is cute.

That is interesting. My Pixie is the self appointed behavior police in our house but she knows she is not supposed to nail one of the others when she decides they are not behaving properly (according to her definition of proper behavior). So, she will grab the nearest stuffed toy and shake it and growl at it...I have always assumed that this is her way of "substituting" something to attack since she isn't permitted to discipline the real culprit of her disapproval. Perhaps the stuffed toy that squeaks is Betty Crocker's way of "getting" that squirrel...wish they could tell us what they are thinking!

Trini
 
Back
Top