We will always love you, sweet Reese.

Henrie Lee

Forums Regular
I'm beyond devastated to be writing this. We lost our second heart dog, Reese this morning. She was just two months away from turning 11. My car spun out in the snow and hit the corner of a brick building. She sustained injuries to her neck and spine, which would've paralyzed her if she didn't receive an operation. We couldn't get her where she needed to go, even if we had the several thousand dollars it would've costed for the surgery. The nearest place that performed the surgery was nearly 3 hours away in good weather, and my only vehicle was probably totalled in the accident. The emergency vet didn't think it was worth the risk and putting her through more pain and suffering to get her to the nearest veterinary neurosurgeon. It was one of the hardest and worst decisions I've ever had to make. I don't have the words to describe how horrifically guilty I feel for taking her to work with me last night. I didn't think 2-3 inches of snow would have such horrible consequences. I didn't think that trying to get my car out of a snow covered parking lot would result in an accident that took our baby girl from us. She was healthy for her age, aside from normal age- related health issues. She could've been with us for far longer. And we're losing our first heart dog, Donovan. He has end stage heart failure. He was so happy to see us when we returned from the vet this morning. He tried so hard to comfort us as we cried. I think he's realized now that she isn't coming home. I woke to him snuggling at our feet, where Reese used to lay. He's beginning to act depressed already. I know he misses his sister. My heart breaks for both of them. Reese was one of the sweetest most wholesome beings I've ever known. She was kind, gentle, empathetic, and loyal. She just wanted to be with her people all the time, love and be loved, eat food, get belly rubs, ear rubs, forehead kisses, and be sung to. I sang part of one of her favorite songs when we were saying goodbye. We told her what a wonderful, irreplaceable friend and family member she has been to us. We thanked her for bringing so much light and love to our lives, and apologized that there wasn't anything else we could do to help her feel better. We held her and told her we loved her, giving her belly rubs as she fell asleep. I am in shock. I would do anything to have her back with us, happy and healthy. My heart is broken beyond repair. Rest in peace, beautiful girl. We will always love you, and you were so loved by everyone you met.
 
I am so sad reading this. Accidents are horrible, but they are accidents. I hope you can find a way to not feel guilty.
RIP Reese. You were so loved.
Thank you so much. I'm having a horrible time with survivor's guilt. I already had PTSD before this happened. Now I have a new trauma to process, and without my sweet girl who has been one of my biggest supports for almost a decade. I miss her so much, and I wish this never happened. She deserved to live a longer, happier life, not to die from injuries from a car accident. :(
 
I am so very sorry to read this post! It is beyond devastating! Your beautiful memories of sweet Reese describes the best qualities of the perfect Sheltie that she was. Some go beyond that making them our heart dogs. We only are lucky enough to get one in a life time.
The fact that it was an accident makes it so much more traumatic of a loss! Please know that you did everything in your power to help her. You were with her at the end to comfort her. Many owners do not have the strength to be there at that moment. You did!
You if you are able to, in time, please create a tribute on the Sheltie Nation Angels page. She deserves it and it might help you to remember better times.
Again, I am so sorry for your loss. Gentle hugs to you.
RIP, Reese, you were well loved and your memories will never leave their hearts.
 
Last edited:
Dear St. Francis, Thank you for welcoming Reese to the heavenly fields. She is a wonderful Sheltie whose family is devastated. Comfort her Dad and free him from any sense of fault; help him know that accidents are just that, and he made the right decision. Help Reese' family have only good memories, and remind her that it will seem but the twinkling of an eye until they are together again.
In His name we ask, Amen.
 
Henrie Lee, I am so very sorry. Reese's life was filled with the love you gave her and she now rests in peace wrapped in that love. Try to hold onto the precious memories she has left for you as you deal with the devastating pain of losing her. Sometimes it is hard to understand why life can hand us so much pain. My heart goes out to you as you grieve your sweet girl.
Trini
 
I'm so sorry to hear this, Henrie Lee. What a heartbreaking loss this is, and I understand how you feel. I wish there were words to comfort you, but these losses of our precious pups are terribly hard no matter the cause. Please try not to blame yourself. No one expects to have an accident, and you did everything you could. I wish you warm memories of Reese and peace, and time to heal.
 
Back
Top