Wesley is still humping

Wesleymom

Forums Novice
Wesley was neutered at 4 months but he would still continue to hump some on my leg or foot if sitting. Now he is two years old and he seems to be doing it more. Asked the vet and he said some male dogs continue to do it even after being neutered. Does anyone else have this problem?
 
I've seen Dickens's little female friend Callie hump him like there's no tomorrow. There are other aspects of behavior involved, I think, apart from the sexual (and hormonal) ones.

Look at it this way: as humans we understand sex on a rational, thinking level. Dogs don't have this attribute, so nature has to program them to get the job done without really understanding what it is they're doing, or why. It's a complicated thing! It of course involves a lot of instinct, which relies on certain things that trigger the instinct. And some of the instincts evidently aren't limited by the sex of the dog, or the presence or absence of hormones.
 
My 3 year old female humps quite a bit, and she was spayed at 6 months. She seems to mainly do it to my younger dog when they've been running and playing like crazy together. Not sure that it's dominant behaviour though. My younger sheltie has never humped anything to my knowledge. I agree with Mignarda that there are other aspects to it than sexual.
 
The main reasons for humping are, in order: play; anxiety; boredom/attention-seeking; being obnoxious.

Mignarda's right, it is a programmed behaviour, which is why it tends to show up as play behaviour.

Like any unwanted behaviour you need to work out the cause and then re-direct. So if it's play behaviour say 'no' get him to sit and get a toy out and play. If it's attention-seeking, don't even bother with a 'no', just withdraw your attention.

Deska didn't hump as a youngster, but developed the annoying habit when he got older. He started doing it when he was on Tramadol, so I took him off the Tramadol but he obviously decided he enjoyed it too much. Nowadays he tries it on after he has a full belly and is feeling good - so I just have to remember to get a squeaky toy out for him after dinner. Unfortunately one of the cats has decided she likes being humped (I guess she thinks he's patting her) and will present herself to him.:rolleyes2:
 
My female tried humping me once or twice. I quickly let her know that was unacceptable and she never tried to hump me again. Now, the only thing she humps is one her favorite dolls. She usually does this before and after her meals. I guess food really gets her going... :lol:
 
Back
Top