What about these ears?

Phebe*DD

Forums Enthusiast
Phebe just turned 6 months. From photos I know that her breeder glued her ears before I got her at 12 weeks. I think he probably took out the glue when he bathed her before sending her to me or it may have just come out on it's own. Anyway, sometimes her ears look about right to me and other times they fly straight up, or sometimes just one.

I'm not going to show her, but I do like the look the of a tipped ear. Should I try gluing for a few weeks? I've never done it before, but I've read all the instructions and think I could probably pull off gluing. I'm not certain I could do the moleskin braces on my own.

Here's a couple of pix from this morning.
 

Attachments

  • 3-Qtr108-640x480.jpg
    3-Qtr108-640x480.jpg
    31.8 KB · Views: 34
  • Side107-640x426.jpg
    Side107-640x426.jpg
    20.4 KB · Views: 42
Last edited:
What a gorgeous Merle Phebe is !

I myself just let the ears do as they like but , if you want the tipped ear you will have to glue. If I remember correctly they did a whole thing on glue of ears try looking up in the forum for grooming??:wink2:
 
Like Elaine, I just let Meggie's ears do what they would and they did not tip.

If you have not glued Phebe's ears since she was 12 weeks old and they look like this, I wouldn't bother. They tip at a nice place and even when dogs have properly tipped ears they can still stand pricked at times. I'm no breeder or expert, however, and there are those on this site who would know better than me. I'm sure they'll let you know.
 
I think her ears look pretty good myself ;-).. However, if you want them to stay tipped..you'll need to stay on top of it. Our boy Baron's ears were nicely tipped..and then when he turned 1...one of them went straight up. I didn't know enough that I could have continued gluing..just thought it was a done deal ;-).. I love him with one up and one down though..gives expression!! lol Now, with our Rookie...I wanted to have one sheltie with the properly tipped ears.. Not a one of all of them over the years has had this..lol So, I kept on it with fabric glue. Worked like a charm...but whenever I saw that ONE ear (with him too!) go up...I re-glued it for a week or two.

By the way...Phoebe is gorgeous!
 
Last edited:
Ears, ears old good topic :winkgrin:
My ears of my Lala time to time "stand up". This happens for a few weeks before the heat.
Your Pheobe is young - perhaps for any time, for a few weeks she will be in heat?
Or she is "fresh" chaged teeth?
Just watch her and if you will, glue or load to her ears by chewing gum :wink2:

(sorry for my english - I still learning)
 
Ears, ears old good topic :winkgrin:
My ears of my Lala time to time "stand up". This happens for a few weeks before the heat.
Your Pheobe is young - perhaps for any time, for a few weeks she will be in heat?
Or she is "fresh" chaged teeth?
Just watch her and if you will, glue or load to her ears by chewing gum :wink2:

(sorry for my english - I still learning)
She's done teething and hasn't had her first heat, yet. I will probably get her spayed next month after her agility class is done.

Thanks for the reminder about the gum trick. My vet mentioned it to me and I had forgotten.
 
At 6 months, I would be tempted to glue still. Although her ears are pretty good at the moment, there is still potential for them to fly.

But it really is just personal taste and how fanatical you are about it. If you are not going to show, you may not want to bother. I tried it up till about 7 months, then I made a big mistake by putting in too much glue and had to cut away most of the fur - it took so long for the hair to grow back - enough - to glue again, that I just gave it up. (Although tipped ears are not Bacca's issue....his need to be glued between...and now he's a hound dog! But he's MY hound dog!)
 
I've never bothered with gluing. Layla has prick ears and Bits has lovely tipped ears. But since Beckon may show, he's going to wear his "high and tight" until I'm satisfied that his ears will stay put! :wink2:
 
Back
Top