What shots should I talk to my vet about this time around?

mikebdub

Forums Enthusiast
I thought my girl was due for her shots last month, but after going through all of her paperwork I realized that she is not due until the end of this month. She has already received her 3yr rabies shot last time I had to take her in for having the puppy "flu" so that is out of the way but what should I talk to the doc about for this round? I am a bit confused on what shots are for what by going through her old vet paperwork. My gf was the one who took her for almost all of her shots last time because I was at work so I was not there to get the explanation.

What "should" she be getting this time around? She is one year and 4 months old. She is on interceptor for heart worm as well as a flea/tick med monthly. She got tested for heart worm when she got her rabies shot and that was negative. I do currently live in a area that has a lot of deer, geese and other wildlife if that makes any difference. What should I ask my doc about for her? Reason being this will be only my second visit with my new vet so she has not been around my pup for long obviously. As far as I can tell it looks like she only needs to get bortadella, distemper and one other that I cannot remember off the top of my head. Thanks in advance for any help!
 
Mike

Look on the bottom of the vet receipts you get when you pay for the visit. It usually tells you which shots are due when? At least any vet that I have gone to have done this.Some shots are good for 2-3 years and rabies is usually good for 3. If it's not there call your vet and just ask what's due when.:winkgrin:
 
Also, do some research as to what kind of things are in your area.

I always get (not at the same time) bordetella (kennel cough), distemper, parvo, lepto (it's in feces/urine and wild animals can carry it) and rabies.
 
that was the problem with the other vet unfortunately.. they were not very thorough at all along with a few other problems I had. She got all of her puppy shots, but as far as the paperwork goes it does not say what is due next. The date I have is from my new vet for her visit and to get on the ball with all the shots. It was a huge battle with the old office and even giving me her records to give to the new doctor. We asked 3 days in a row to please give us the records or to fax them to the new office so the new vet could go over them. The day of her appointment the doctor had nothing and the other place basically refused to give them up saying they were too busy even though it was supposed to have been sent days prior. I have all of my recepits, but they do not have all the information on them as you can imagine. I just want to make sure she gets everything she needs. What is due for a second round of shots?
 
Also, do some research as to what kind of things are in your area.

I always get (not at the same time) bordetella (kennel cough), distemper, parvo, lepto (it's in feces/urine and wild animals can carry it) and rabies.

the lepto I definately want then because like I said there are alot of animals where I live. The other one I could not remember says its her "lymes" shot. If I never plan to kennel her, do I need to worry about bordetella? What about distemper? And I thought that parvo was only something puppies could get. I will definately have to do some research but I was just curious what everyone else gives.
 
the lepto I definately want then because like I said there are alot of animals where I live. The other one I could not remember says its her "lymes" shot. If I never plan to kennel her, do I need to worry about bordetella? What about distemper? And I thought that parvo was only something puppies could get. I will definately have to do some research but I was just curious what everyone else gives.

Kennel Cough: if you plan on taking her out in public places, where there are a lot of dogs (dog parks, dog shows, dog classes etc), I would vaccinate her for it.

Distemper: same thing. It's airborne.

Parvo: http://marvistavet.com/html/body_how_parvo_infection_happens.html Not just puppies.
 
Narmowen is right, and parvo is high on my list too. That disease can spread, it goes right up through their paws, or if they lick from another dog's urine or saliva.

I never take my pup out into the public until they have all their shots, but that is just me. My sister took her pup to Petsmart and ended up with kennel cough from a training session.

People go from kennel to kennel looking for a pup, they have contaminated shoes because a kennel had parvo, and those shoes have spread the disease to other kennels.
 
Back
Top