What should he weigh

Generally speaking, I think 25 lb for a 14" dog seems heavy. I would start monitoring weight. My guys are 17-18" and weigh about 30 lb.

Agreed. I have a moderately boned 16" female and she weighs 23-24 lbs. She's very athletic and if she wasn't, she would probably be closer to 25. I think 25 lbs for a 14" dog sounds a little heavy, but you will need to use some hands on evaluations to determine if he's carrying a bit too much weight. Weight can vary from dog to dog. For example, Corbinam's Bentley is a quarter of a inch shorter than my dog, but he weighs 6-7 lbs less than her. My dog is by no means overweight, and Bentley is not underweight. They're just built a little differently.
 
Thanks for the replies. Casey eats between 3/4 - 1 cup of dry with a little canned mixed in. I fear the training treats are the problem, so I am cutting back more towards the 3/4 cup. I can feel ribs easily right now but I need to slow down the weight gain.

I did once get nearly 8 lbs off Cooper, my 17" sheltie, but he gained it back as he aged. Randy had Cushings, plus Lymphoma for which he took, along with the chemo, pred, so he had no chance of ever losing weight.
 
I agree, 25lb is way too heavy for a 14" sheltie, it's a better weight for a 16".

Deska is 16" very long and heavy boned and weighs 23lb - he's got a lovely trim figure. Tully is 13" and is currently chubby at 15lb.
 
Back
Top