What they mean to us~

mbfrench

Forums Celebrity
As I sit here thinking about Jasper's birthday,which is the 30th,I have thought about what this last year has brought to our family. These babes have brought so much joy.

Even on the saddest of days,or days that have not gone quite right,they manage to bring smiles to our faces. They have that special power that puts your mind at ease with either a gentle nudge or asking for a belly rub.

For me each one of these babes here is so very special,each having thier own little quirks. Which we sometime laugh,and say..gee they have such personalities!

They are not "just dogs", they are family members.They are the reason for some of us,why we can look at each day,and put one foot in front of the other with special meaning.

Jasper has been the clown of the pack,since he joined us.He makes us wonder sometimes..what is he trying to say.He is such a talker. On the flip side,he looks to us for guidence,sometimes not sure if it really is ok.But all we have to do,is say..ok bud..it's ok!

Trapp is the sensitive one,always looking to make it all better,whether it be with me,or Earnhardt,and most recently Mia.

Earnhardt is the patient one,he thinks first.He is the gentle soul that keeps the pack in order.

And Mia...gosh what is there not to say about this special angel.She has givin me the inspiration to trudge on.Even in these last few weeks when things have gone very wrong.I think about Mia. She gives us the reason,to pick up the pieces,and get going.

So I share with you,a video.It is one I am sure some have watched.I find myself watching it again and again. And so true it is~

http://www.lifewithdogs.tv/2010/06/just-a-dog/
 
Thank you for sharing your thoughts Michele. Our lives would be so much poorer without our Shelties in them. I know for the last year, Emma and now Liam have added so much and brought so much comfort to us.

That video says it all. If you think "just a dog", then you lose out on so much.
 
Gavin is not "just a dog", and has converted many a non-dog person :D
And if he doesn't, they are "just a person". I really think that a true companion animal is so much more than any label could possibly imply.
They become an extension of their person and expander of their life and experiences, and the lucky ones are extensions of a good person and pet guardian.

And if some people think I go a little overboard when it comes to my dog, the ones worth knowing realize how much the time and money spent on gavin have allowed him to blossom into the wonderful pet and companion dog they appreciate and admire.
 
I think I posted this video a couple of months ago...or maybe it was on Facebook. Doesn't matter. I never get tired of watching it.

There are times when my dogs drive me crazy. Bacca with his health issues and Indy with his ever insistent "love me, pet me feed me".

But when I come home after a not-so-good day at the office, and see them bounding around with joy that Mommy is home, it just sets my world to a whole new perspective. All of a sudden, the work day doesn't seem so important anymore. Or the petty squabbles amongst my family. Or even the greater issues of the world.

Thank you for sharing this video again. It never hurts to have the reminders of the most important things.

It all comes down to pure, uncomplicated and simple love.
 
Beautiful. Thanks for posting the link. My two dogs are very different in personality as well, yet each one has taught me a lot.

I'm very grateful as well that each of you are out there that feel the same way about your dogs.
 
http://www.sheltieforums.com/showthread.php?t=6119
was the original thread BUT you know it is amazing how it has gone viral. The poem, the music and the photos together make it art, doesn't it?
It was made here in Halifax at the local Point Pleasant Park, and even in this forum I think it made the rounds 4 times, because people come across this and it moves us in all corners of the world.

It is one of my very very favourite videos, ever... Here in this forum we can all relate to the sentiment and I for one NEVER tire of it!
I must admit I am very proud to say I know two of the dogs in the photos and Point Pleasant Park is special... this photographer is there most Saturday mornings, he owns the springer spaniel... He has a blog called dogs for point pleasant park...
 
Sadly I cannot watch it, something about the music being blocked for copyright here:no:

What my dogs mean to me, they are my everything. I think I could cope with anything providing they are with me. Not a day goes by when I am not thankfull for them. The reason they are so special: because they are 'just' simply...dogs.:smile2:
 
I love the second link in that thread too, 'God and Dog.' That one brings tears to my eyes every time.

This has been a truly difficult year for me, between my health issues, family issues, the death of my grandfather and my husband's employer not treating him fairly, not to mention Sadie suddenly becoming paralyzed.

I felt like I would get through it all, until I was faced with the prospect of losing Sadie.

Sadie was my comfort and joy through everything, she always seemed to know what I was feeling, was always there for a cuddle when I needed it. My little Bean Ginny was always there to try and cheer me up with her crazy antics, but Sadie was the one who seemed to really understand. I was so devistated that I didn't know how I would ever be able to make the decision to put her down if I had to, my grief and heart break was already over whelming me.

Thankfully, it never came to that and with months of rehab Sadie is more or less back to her old self, with only slight weakness in her back legs. As horrible as the experience was, it has made the bond between us even stronger. I truly don't know what I would do without my Sadie girl, my best friend.
 
Back
Top