when another dog plays aggressively?

Our westie would be good in that role. If you have been reading Tinsel's Journey you would remember that she made Gem back off when she got fiesty with Tinsel. Every dog that comes here knows enough to listen when Phoebe has something to say no matter their size. She is a force without using force like Vanna before her and Tagg, westie, before her. What she puts up with amazes me but cross the boundary she sets and she will put them in their place - quickly. She hasn't had to resort to aggression, just firm body language and the occasional lift of a lip or snarl if they don't get the message fast enough.
 
Waaayyy too rough behaviour even among puppies! I would have been wading in and separating. That sort of behaviour is never, ever allowed at my club's puppy playgroup.

It only teaches the boisterous dogs to be too boisterous and the quieter pups to be scared:no:
 
Thank you everyone! Appreciate your understanding in how we've been feeling at puppy school! The one was an Aussie, so really had it out for her as far as biting her legs & tail (tail envy! :wink2:) & would be bad for grabbing her neck too! One extra play time, we did just drive away, when we saw he was there! But we couldn't escape him in pre-class play, until the last 2 weeks, he actually wanted nothing to do with her?! We were SO happy, but that lasted 30 seconds until bad dog #2 then completely took over bullying her.

Thru this 7 week course (was 8 weeks but 1st class was no pups), yes myself & hubby would pull Aussie or #2 (labradoodleish looking thing) off of her. Often my husband would pick Julip up to rescue her! (you know it was bad then! As he isn't as much of a "worry freak" as me) So for him to think it was a bad situation - it was bad! :no:
The trainer was not very good, half the time he was on his phone/texting/ checking email? When play time was happening, so no he didn't see half the stuff!
I DID email him, my concerns about this Aussie being fixated on Julip & actually hurting her! It was after that email, in the next class that he did pull the Aussie off her the few times. But the NEXT class, he went back to his phone & not noticing anything Grrrrr.

NO, we will not be returning to that place for future training.

To answer some posts ...
I was (am) worried that it would make Julip reactive & mean! As after a couple classes, she would get "braver", & try to defend herself - she'd still be under the chair, but trying to bite back from there! I was pleased she started defending herself - BUT non of this seemed like the right way?

Luckily I don't see any permanent damage to her lovely personality. She is perfect with our cats & she plays wonderfully at the dog park (again, we ONLY go in the small dog side) - butt in the air, all bouncy pouncy puppy like, trying to get dogs to chase her. She actually loves to be chased, as SHE can set the running route, which always includes under anything she can fit, around every tree & thru everyone's legs! Of course the other dogs don't do the agility stuff she does, but they are running after her & she thinks that's perfect! (as unlike puppy school, they aren't catching & biting her!) She does chase other dogs too, usually its a couple of them all running crazy.

Someone suggested play dates at the breeders - they are over 2 hours away. She's had 2 play dates in our yard, a 1 yr. Shih Tzu that went wonderfully. And a Boxer that is 2 months older then her, but a great personality, a bit timid, so she wasn't playing rough. She was the 1st pup/dog Julip actually chased! So that did give Julip some confidence. The Boxer would then chase Julip, & then they'd switch. It was back & forth for the whole time, it was good for them both. I'm looking for more yard play dates!

Thank you for the fear imprint stages Tagg! Julip was 12 weeks at her 1st class. We thought starting her early was best for her socialization, but when we got there, the other pups were all more like 5-6 months! 2 great danes, labs, everything was huge!

Very much appreciate Toffee Mom's comment - "don't listen to advice about people telling you are over protective... at this point in your dog's life it's important she gets the best protection and learns she can trust you to manage the situation"
Thank you for that - its very helpful!
 
.The trainer was not very good, half the time he was on his phone/texting/ checking email? When play time was happening, so no he didn't see half the stuff!
I DID email him, my concerns about this Aussie being fixated on Julip & actually hurting her! It was after that email, in the next class that he did pull the Aussie off her the few times. But the NEXT class, he went back to his phone & not noticing anything Grrrrr.

GRRR!!. I am afraid my mouth would have gotten me in trouble there. You where paying for instruction not for him to be on his cell phone/texting and whatever. I would have been demanding my money back ASAP. I hate cell phones when people are supposed to be paying attention to you. When I was in practice I walked out of the exam room several times because people couldn't even look up for more than 2 seconds to answer questions or listen. I just told them that when they were done let the tech know.:mad:
 
I'm in total agreement with everyone. Totally unacceptable.

With Timber, my forever pup, we were in a puppy class that seemed to consist of nothing but lab and retreiver pups. Timber spent his whole time cowering under a chair during the "free play".

With Bacca, I went to another school. This trainer separated dogs by temperment and size for free play. And she was quick on the draw if someone misbehaved. She didn't do it herself, but she instructed the owner how to handle their dog. Sometimes she would single two dogs that seemed to need extra handling and ask the rest of us to hold back our dogs while they did free play.

While I did not agree with all her approaches, in this, she certainly knew what she was doing.

It's probably too late to ask for a refund, but I would have objected earlier (i.e. taken her aside). You probably should still do that. She may not welcome the feedback, but she needs to know. Everyone can learn, and hopefully she'll learn and do better in the next class.
 
Another thing with puppy/ dog play one has to be aware- play style is different for many breeds. What is totally acceptable for lets say lab puppies with a lot of wrestling and body slamming is not acceptable to herding breed like shelties whose favorite activity usually chase. Often it does become a problem at dog parks as not only people yapping their mouth without watching their dogs but dogs are all different in their play style so what acceptable for one dog is not desired by another dog.
As for classes, there are always lessons to be learned. I had signed up for one class in agility which left me in tears, was my mistake total as I misunderstood who was teaching. Thankfully dog training world is a small one and one can always find references or visit and see if this class looks like something you want to enroll your dogs. I do take some classes that are less than perfect but I am learning to use it to my advantage and "do my thing". Takes time to figure it out though.
 
Back
Top