When is the Best time to put down a Dog ?

FedAce

Forums Enthusiast
This may sound kind of strange but i always wondered if there are any signs to look for before deciding to put down a terminally ill dog.
I only bring this up cause i still feel really bad about what happened with my 1st sheltie. Dogs tend to not show really bad signs of pain or sickness til the very last days of its death. 1st sheltie i had died in my arms in the kitchen and i could tell the dog was in excruciating pain. I literally couldn't pick up the dog cause it was in so much pain. but just couple days before this, the dog was able to walk and was able to take medicine.
But ideal time to put down a dog is about 2 weeks before this happens to avoid the incredible amount of pain it has to endure before its death. My Vets were not very helpful. they never told me it was time, not sure what they were afraid of. :cry:
 
My vet was by my side the whole time. During Sadie's last week i called her every day and explained how she was doing - and what she wasn't doing. We both decided together that Sat. of that week would/should be the day. I feel much relieved having a great vet by my side.
 
Its always a heart-breaking and second-guessing decision to make. You really have to judge their quality of life and a pet can't tell you in words. With our cat Rocky my husband just couldn't let him go. Rocky was unable to keep any food down and just wasted...but Alan was the optimist who'd say "I think he's tolerating this new food better....he can still jump up to the counter", etc. I finally had to say Alan, Rocky is not getting better and he looks hunched and unhappy. We scheduled the vet appointment within the week. Our vet was very kind, examined Rocky before administering the shot and confirmed that it was time to let Rocky go.
 
That is a tough call. My last sheltie, and first dog, had to be put down last year due to cancer. He stopped eating. I tried this and I tried that, and maybe this will work etc. just like Alan I kept hoping that he would turn around. I finally could not look at him just laying there, eyes open and not moving. The day he was put down, he still was running and walking (but would not do stairs anymore) and barking at the blowdrier. I second guessed if I did the right thing by calling the vet to our house to put him down. When she got there, and examined him, she said yes, I made the right decision - he was skin and bones. Still I second guessed myself. I don't think you ever really 'know'.
 
I've been through this three times. The first time was my beloved pet rat, Ratt-a-Tat. She had cancer, we knew. Yet she would still run over to say hello when I came home from school. Finally, Brad told me that she rested the whole day just to gather enough strength to greet me when I came home. We went to the vet that afternoon...

When Bear the Big Red Dog was 13, a non-malignant tumor we'd had removed returned much more quickly than our vet had anticipated. One day, my sister, whose dog he was, called, saying that he wouldn't come downstairs. She knew, but asked me what I thought. I told her that this was a decision she shouldn't have to make -- I would. I called the vet, and the I came home with fillet mignon and a big brownie. Bear's last meal was a joyous feast -- he was so happy! The vet arrived at 6 pm, and we all held him as he slipped over the Bridge.

Lassie, our splendid, old crippled rescue Collie, was a gallant lady, loved by all who knew her. She had a splendid 16 months with us, cherished and beloved. Her greatest loves where car rides and pad thai, but more than anything, she loved her daily walks. I swore she would never lose her dignity. When it became apparent that within one day, maybe two, she would no longer be able to stand and walk, I called our wonderful vet. He came to our home, and Lassie, having devoured a final feast of pad that, stepped across the bridge as I sang her speical lullabye, and ran, healthy and whole, across Rainbow Bridge. Lassie knew a single moment when she couldn't walk...
 
That is a tough call. My last sheltie, and first dog, had to be put down last year due to cancer. He stopped eating. I tried this and I tried that, and maybe this will work etc. just like Alan I kept hoping that he would turn around. I finally could not look at him just laying there, eyes open and not moving. The day he was put down, he still was running and walking (but would not do stairs anymore) and barking at the blowdrier. I second guessed if I did the right thing by calling the vet to our house to put him down. When she got there, and examined him, she said yes, I made the right decision - he was skin and bones. Still I second guessed myself. I don't think you ever really 'know'.

I think it is little easier if you have a definite diagnosis like Cancer. You know there is no Miracle coming so you do what you have to do to save the dog from Pain. but in my case, we had what was suspected Liver cancer and didn't have definite diagnosis. We had to do a Liver Biopsy and it was needless with a dog that maybe had only 1 month to live. We did an Autopsy and her liver was full of Cancer and pretty much Gone. But we were hoping for a Miracle to the end. I won't make that mistake again..:cry:
 
I've been thru this only once,just 4 years ago,when my domestic shorthair Nick got so gravely ill. He had suffered for some time with kidney issues,and in the last weeks suffered with a terrible blockage. Nothing was helping him.

He gave me 15 beautiful years. But the day before he passed over the bridge,I called my vet and talked with him about what I really thought was the best for Nick. As I talked with Dr. Mike, Nick was looking at me as he was curled in my lap,with something very differant in his look.As if to say,mom,its time,please.

Very emotional moment for me,as Nick was my oldest son's cat,and losing Nick to me was my last tangible thing I had left of my oldest boy.Now they are together~
 
A hard decision..

I think as owners of our dogs it is our responsibility to make this call. Our dogs look to us their whole lives to make the best decisions for them. And they deserve for us to make the tough ones too. They have given so much.....unconditionally. Too many times people keep their dogs going for themselves. Vets in their kindness, sometimes give us more time, and want us to come to the decision on our own.
I also believe every owner should stay with their dog until they pass. Your soft voice in their ear and loving arms around them.
 
My story is very much the same as Ania's. Cleveland just stopped eating and rested more and more. That last week, he still played a light game of fetch with Ron. The last day, he just wanted me to sit and hold him and pet him and I did.

We just knew it was time.

I learn more and more from missjenny everyday. I wish I was able to not cry. I wish I could have just sung soft lullabies to my darling as he went to sleep. But we stayed with him. I regret crying, for it was selfish and probably scared him. I can see that now.

Oh they are precious and sometimes go too quickly from us.

Peace be with you.
 
Vets want you to make the decision when it is right for you, not necessarily right for your furbaby. My first sheltie, Crystal, is a good example. She had kidney failure and the Vet & I tried everything. I cooked a special diet for her & she had weekly Vet visits for medicine and shots. Finally, the Vet hooked me up with huge syringes to fill up with water and shoot it into places all over her body.

I took them home and gave her her first round of about 10 large syringes to keep her hydrated. Crystal and I were able to communicate better than I've ever been able to communicate with people. I looked into her eyes and all the light had gone out of them, instead I could see nothing but pain and she had given up on life. I promised her that I would get her out of her pain as fast as I could, and I kept that promise.

Everybody is different about when to put a dog to sleep. One of my friends has always had pets, but refuses to put them down, because we wouldn't do that to people, would we. And as others have said, you wish so hard for a miracle that you try to see one.

Since you have waited too long before (as have many of us), I think you will just know when the time is right.

My prayers for you and your furbaby. I know what a difficult time this can be.
 
Back
Top