When to Give Bath ??

pixgal

Forums Enthusiast
Miss Sadie is 4 months old. I've had her for a little over a month now.
When should I give her a bath?
Is it too soon?
What kind of shampoo do I use?
How often should I give her a bath?
I brush her everyday. Not her favorite thing.
Right now with the rain she gets her feet cleaned almost everytime she comes into the house. Just wash them because of a little mud.
Any help appreciated.
 
Throw that puppy in the tub! Part of training a puppy, is the total grooming experience...which includes a bath. She needs to learn to stand still, and, that it will be okay. Then towel dry, and you can use a hair dryer on low while you run your fingers through her coat. It will get her used to the sound of the dryer and what it feels like. I try to bath dogs in the morning, so they have all day to dry throughly. End with big hugs and a cookie!

Remember to totally brush and comb out the puppy before bathing. Have fun!
 
I agree that its important to have the pups get used to grooming early, and yes, at 4 months is probably not a bad time to start.

That being said, I caution you about feeling compelled to do full bathes more often than every 2-4 months. My dogs generally get a full bath every quarter. In between, I use dry-shampoo and leave-in conditioners. This products do seem to leave a little build up though. I've noticed that it does not feel as nice as a fresh shampoo, but I do think its less drying on their skin. I'm looking at products that can condition their coat better between baths. I currently use CC and Naked Care.

All to say that I would not bath more than monthly.
 
Definitely give your puppy a bath! Besides getting her clean and averting any potential skin problems, she needs to get used to being bathed. I put new puppies in the tub as soon as I bring them home. As long as you keep them inside until they're thoroughly dry (at least in winter months) she'll be fine.

Use a shampoo made for puppies, to be safe. Don't use a shampoo designed for humans. Dogs' have a different PH than we do. It doesn't have to be a long bath; just lather her up, rinse well and towel dry. As others suggested, you can use a hairdryer on low for a bit. I dry my dogs halfway, not all the way since it can dry out their coats.

I bathe once a month in the summer, less often in the winter. As long as you brush her regularly to avoid mats and knots, she'll be fine unless of course she is dirty and needs it. Always spritz the coat lightly with water when you brush.

Grooming and bathing is a great time to bond with your puppy. Happy grooming!
 
allso, rub her ears and feet...like massage them, i always do this and they love it and so does the vet...they think when vet or groomer touching ears or feet...aaaah, nice, relax
 
Bathing is so important! Best to start early on everything related to grooming. And Rose is so right about those feet and ears! Get Sadie used to being massaged in those places. It really paid off for me. Shadow never objects to nail trimming since he likes to have his feet rubbed!
And most important of all, enjoy your pretty little girl!
 
I brush her everyday. Not her favorite thing.

As an adult, my boy loved being brushed, while laying on his side, on a carpeted floor. He would lay there half asleep, and sometimes let out a contented sigh. When I was done with one side, he would lay there as limp as a rag, while I gently rolled him over to brush the other side.
 
I agree that its important to have the pups get used to grooming early, and yes, at 4 months is probably not a bad time to start.

That being said, I caution you about feeling compelled to do full bathes more often than every 2-4 months. My dogs generally get a full bath every quarter. In between, I use dry-shampoo and leave-in conditioners. This products do seem to leave a little build up though. I've noticed that it does not feel as nice as a fresh shampoo, but I do think its less drying on their skin. I'm looking at products that can condition their coat better between baths. I currently use CC and Naked Care.

All to say that I would not bath more than monthly.

I agree with Barb. I don't bathe my dogs very often. I found a product made by Nature's Miracle that I like. They are bath cloths...like wipes, but they are very large and do an excellent job of getting rid of the dirt and oils on the surface of my dogs coats. Between baths when they start feeling a little grubby, I just scrub them down with the cloth and brush them out. Works great!
 
Back
Top