When you have a hungry Sheltie you can’t feed….

Piper's mom

Moderator
You just have to try your best to avoid those saddddd puppy dog eyes……
Some background, this morning the dogs were outside with me while I did some yard work. Piper was eating grass and weeds as he usually does, not so much to get sick he just likes to munch on it…he’s part cow lol. But unlike a cow he only has one stomach and he aggravated his. Soon after he threw up the grass. He hadn’t had breakfast yet so it was pretty much just bile. Little while later he vomits again and again later after a treat. Then after drinking water…made him hamburger and rice and after 2 hours of no vomiting I fed him (probably too much) and 1/2 hour later it all came back!
Fortunately I was able to get him into the vet (not our regular) and Piper has gastroenteritis. She gave him a Cerenia injection and some sucralfate 2/day. I must say I was very impressed with the vet we saw, she was incredibly thorough…even checking out his lipoma’s he’s got on his back!
This isn’t the first time Piper has had issues with stomach acids, even as a pup I took him to the vet because of daily vomiting (too much stomach acid) and off and on over the years but never to this point.

a hungry Piper…F040E63A-0819-4968-9E78-C860EC9B1C20.jpeg
Now he’s tired but hungry lol…he was fine all day actually aside from the vomiting, totally bright and active. Just always throwing up poor guy. Cerenia must be working because he had a good amount of water an hour ago and didn’t throw up
The vet said he could have a meatball sized portion of hamburger and rice between 10 and midnight tonight and minimum 6 small meals tomorrow. Said don’t feed him too much no matter how much he tries to make you think he’s starving. I said he’s a Sheltie, he thinks he’s always starving!
 
Poor guy!!! Hope he is feeling better today. How did he get gastroenteritis? Is it a long time, permanent thing or a temp thing?
Piper was eating grass yesterday morning…grass and possibly some dried leaves that made him vomit and basically gave him an upset stomach which caused him to continually throw up whenever he drank water or ate anything. A vicious cycle that irritated everything. He’s just on meds for 3 days and a low fat bland diet. Beyond his upset tummy he was fine. He’s looking quite bright this morning.
 
Poor Piper, I hope he's feeling better today! I have a grazer too. Flurry is always munching grass. Fortunately she doesn't throw it up...yet. I have no idea why she does it. Some of my others will have an occasional munch but not like Flurry. Cerenia is fantastic stuff! I hope it gets Piper back to normal.
 
Poor Piper, I hope he's feeling better today! I have a grazer too. Flurry is always munching grass. Fortunately she doesn't throw it up...yet. I have no idea why she does it. Some of my others will have an occasional munch but not like Flurry. Cerenia is fantastic stuff! I hope it gets Piper back to normal.
Piper has never had a problem before either. Perhaps it’s an age thing? Much like how foods can disagree with us that never did before.
He’s doing good today, had a very small portion of food and water and kept it down. He seems very happy and bright! I’m happy he’s happy…Piper is my heart dog.
 
Piper has never had a problem before either. Perhaps it’s an age thing? Much like how foods can disagree with us that never did before.
He’s doing good today, had a very small portion of food and water and kept it down. He seems very happy and bright! I’m happy he’s happy…Piper is my heart dog.

My vet lets me keep Cerenia in the house for times like that when I need it, if yours will give you a prescription. I get the 60 mg caps and split them in four since it's $10 a pill. As long as you know it's not something more serious, like gallbladder, it's safe to treat them yourself if your vet agrees.
 
Back
Top