Why some pet photos make me nervous...

We played football with our St Bernard (he won often). The world is full of risks and fun too (like Bernie ball)
 
Thanks for posting this. It is a wonderful article. As a home daycare provider and the grandmother of 2 young boys I always teach respect for our furkids. They are entitled to the same respect as a human being. If ever a daycare child were to mistreat my dogs they would be asked to leave. I know this is probably harsh but I know where it can lead and it is best for all concerned. I have personal experience of a child being bit and rushed to emergency and the trauma it causes for everyone. (not my dogs thankfully).
 
Doesn't matter how big or small the dog....any dog can do damage. And stressed out dogs more so.

I don't care how well socialized your dog is....never leave him unattended with a child. You never know what could set them off.

I was attacked by a blind and deaf cocker years ago. I still suffer the nerve damage from the bite.

I know this is a 0.1%. But people are so focussed now on the bully dogs and forget that a chihuhua bite can be equally as nasty.
 
I agree that we need to teach children to respect animals. The family dog isn't a toy.

The picture with the Husky doesn't bother me. The little one isn't in the dog's face, but beside his pal.
 
Husky dog is a great photo! Everyone has their own space and it looks like the pup was enjoying himself.

A former coworker of mine succeeded in getting her neighbor's lab put down after the dog bit and nearly killed her 4-year old niece. It was one very quick, unfortunately placed neck/face bite. My coworker blamed the dog, as did her entire family. I asked her what had happened and she said they had "only left her [the niece] alone with the dog for a minute.":mad: The girl was seen through the deck window, playing patty-cake with the dog's face and that's all they wrote. Terrible, horrible thing that could have been completely avoided had the kid's family respected the dog's well-being and not left their child alone to torment him.
 
Some people are so ignorant. I have NEVER allowed my step son (who is now 5 years old and a brat) any alone time with our Shelties. Simply don't trust him. It only takes a brief moment for the dog to reach his threshold and something bad can happen.
 
The picture of the Husky and the little boy is no problem! Look at the dog's expression - happy and relaxed.

We don't have kids, but years ago when we had our first Sheltie who was gentle and liked everyone, a friend's little boy (who was a hooligan anyway) cornered Skye and "patted" her by pounding on her with his hand. I caught him but not before the psychological damage was done to Skye - she did not like kids at all after that experience, and avoided them like the plague. Lucky for everyone she did not retaliate by biting the little monster.

I blamed myself for not supervising a little closer, but I had been distracted by the company, and not having kids myself I wasn't aware there could be an incident. From then on I am VERY vigilant when we are out with the dogs and kids approached.

I feel so sorry for Big Ben who sucked it up for years until he just reached his limit. Shame on those parents for letting their kids treat the dog like a piece of furniture. :mad:
 
Husky dog is a great photo! Everyone has their own space and it looks like the pup was enjoying himself.

A former coworker of mine succeeded in getting her neighbor's lab put down after the dog bit and nearly killed her 4-year old niece. It was one very quick, unfortunately placed neck/face bite. My coworker blamed the dog, as did her entire family. I asked her what had happened and she said they had "only left her [the niece] alone with the dog for a minute.":mad: The girl was seen through the deck window, playing patty-cake with the dog's face and that's all they wrote. Terrible, horrible thing that could have been completely avoided had the kid's family respected the dog's well-being and not left their child alone to torment him.

I remember when I was little I think about 7-8yrs old and my aunt had a black mini poodle who was the same age as me(born in Aug , me sept). I don't know why but I was laying on the floor on my stomach and the dog was near me and I blew in her face. It was quite funny the way she snarled her lip at me. I did it 3-4 times and my mom(who was in the room) saw me doing it and it ended in a big lecture and a warning the dog was going to bite me in the face.

Next week my aunt is again visiting and the dog walked over to me and I was petting her and I blew in her face once and she bit me in the upper lip. Lucky for me she was just warning and it didn't break skin. My mom went ballistic at me and I got a spanking and sent to my room(70's) Boy did I learn a lesson that day. I was taught from very little to respect animals and frankly I don't know why I did it other than I was a dumb kid. It happened to a split second no way to prevent it except for keeping me completely away from the dog or reading my evil child mind.

It makes me cringe to see some of the things people let their kids do to they dogs(for that matter adults who can not read their dogs). I frankly am surprised more kids are not mauled. Speaks to the tolerate nature of most dogs.

BTW the picture of the husky is lovely , each has their own space, the child is not in the dog face or draped on it and each looks totally relaxed.
 
Back
Top