Why????

sheltiemom4

Forums Enthusiast
I have to start by asking Why???? Why do people abuse and mistreat their dogs to the point that it jeopardizes their lives????

I rescued Sable (aka: Pee Wee) 3 yrs. ago from an Amish puppy mill. They openly offered to give her to us because their male died and they couldn't make money off of her anymore. My DH snatched her up and brought her home without a second thought. She was underweight, heartworm positive, teeth were infected, and the stench of her body was UNBELIEVABLE!! My Vet stated she would be been dead with 2 mos. from the infection in her mouth and she lost 12 teeth.

Now, after 3 yrs. of weekly brushings, dental rinses, plaque removal, and yearly dental cleaning, she has lost 5 more teeth!!! I don't know what more I can do to prevent her from losing ALL her teeth.....

When I called the vet to check and see if she was ready to come home, I openly cried when they told me! I know they thought I was an idiot...:o
 
I think, more than anything, it's how people view dogs. The people on the Forums view their dogs as beloved individuals to be treasured and protected, but there are many people out there who see dogs as livestock to be used and exploited. Some people think that horses are magnificent animals that deserve to be cared for into old age; some think that horses make fine steak. For some people, rabbits are members of the family; for others, they're hutch-animals destined for dinner. I happen to think that the slaughter of cattle (and any other farmed animal) is morally equivalent to the slaughter of dogs (and so I don't eat any meat); you may think differently.

I do think that the correct ethical answer is not to exploit dogs, a la puppymills, but I can see where some people wouldn't agree. For some people, dog = cow = horse = living being that I can use for profit until it is no longer useful.

Ann, here on the Forum, had a puppymill dog who (I believe) had a lot of trouble with teeth rotting out. (I could be misremembering all of this, and I apologize if I am!) Maybe she can chime in with some insight on care for your girl.
 
Tofu pup

You said this very well!

My brother is a sheep farmer. He has a number of dogs. He treats them well, but it is clear that these are working dogs, not pets. These dogs don't go to groomers, or wear raincoats when its wet or booties when its cold. For sure, not one of them is named "Precious" - He has several Sheltie mixes in his pack.

He will not allow me to greet his dogs He is pack leader and he leads the pack. And yes, when my brother comes around they are excited and leaping and ready to go to work. They are cared for, because the sheep need the care. But the live outside year round. But they do get vet care. I doubt that a single one though has ever been brushed.

This is a world outside our experience....our experience where our pets live a pampered existence. Some would say that my brother is cruel, I suppose, I'm one of them.

But I do understand that there are people who think of dogs differently than us, on this forum, and anyone who owns a dog as a pet. The same farm folk that think of animals as collateral (like my brother) are the same folk that think its ok to run puppy mills. They don't think of dogs like pets. As Tofu said: dogs=cows=sheep=horse

I'm not excusing it....just trying to put an explanation to it.

And btw....my brother and I grew up always with a pet dog around us.
 
Poor little Pee Wee. Thankfully she has you to take care of her and give her food she can eat without the benefit of a full mouth of teeth. She knows you love her and I'm sure teeth or no teeth she thinks the day you came into her life was the best day ever!

Why people do the things they do, I'll never understand. What I do understand is all the love for dogs that I see on this forum and it warms my heart to know that good, kindhearted people still do exist.
 
yes people use and view dogs as livestock..its a different mindset and they think no different of it. My brothers neighbors are fine examples. They raise livestock to eat, and yes while I do like a nice piece of steak (and theirs is really good), I think I would have a hard time eating molly moo who ive been feeding and taking care of for the last 5 years...to them its nothing new and they dont bat an eyelash at it.

Now as far as the teeth it may be just do to poor nutrition and care during her life that is leading to her teeth rot and there may be little outside intervention that will slow this...what did your vet say about it? Did he think this was could be the cause?
 
Puppymills and backyard breeders generally care for one thing - MONEY. So they breed the female dog every time she is in heat until she is just worn out. They get the worst food hence bad teeth and infections. Sometimes it gets so infected their jaws disintegrate. These breeders do not even like dogs or cats etc. To me it is evil to treat them so badly as we all know they are smart sensitive creatures made to be mans best friend. Even farm animals or livestock should be treated with care for their well being. I think ALL puppy mills should be closed down and as a society should stop supporting an industry that thrives on the pain and cruelty and neglect of these poor dogs.
People that don't like dogs shouldn't breed them. If you like them you will take good care of them.
 
If there is one thing that really gets me utterly furious, it's mistreatment and neglect of animals! My precious Laddie was found as a stray. God knows how long he was out there before he was found and brought to sheltie rescue. He lost his right eye (I don't know how and I don't think I want to either!), had an ear infection, has medical issues (high blood pressure, early glomerulonephritis), and his gums and teeth were bad. We got his ear infection cleared up, he is responding beautifully to his medication, had his teeth done - fortunately he lost only one rear molar, and is doing wonderfully. He (and Katie) goes to the vet every 6 months to be checked out. We can't fathom how anyone could just dump him on the street and leave him! It's just sickening. He gets tons of loving every night (and just wait until his "gramma" gets here next week!!) and I tell him every day how handsome he is and how much we love him! I watch both of them like a hawk and anything they need, they receive. I'm so glad they will have mom with them all day once she is here.
I'm sure your baby knows she is very loved and will thrive despite her dental issues. I have nothing but the utmost respect and, yes, love, for anyone who takes in and cares for a "special needs" dog.

_______________________________
Rob
Katie - 14 y/o Diva
Laddie - 5 y/o One Eyed Cookie Thief and Casanova
 
So sorry to hear about the dental problems. My Bela, the former puppy mill mama, has broken teeth and several missing. She'd had a dental while in rescue, so I don't know how much of this she came into rescue with. But I do know I sat down and cried after my own vet told me exactly what she had missing and probably why (chewing on her cage, mostly). This vet was with me through all Neechee's senior problems, and knows me pretty well, so he just let me cry and patted me on the back. He also found scars on her ears from a likely dog fight. Well-healed, but makes one ear stick up sometimes.

The dental problems can also come from purely hereditary reasons - I know this from sad experience. My dad had full dentures by age 13, and my mom has extremely brittle teeth and is constantly at the dentist's office. My teeth were over-cared-for while I was growing up - braces, etc. and brushing three times a day. I continued this as an adult - cleanings every six months, etc. So at age 48, I should have perfect teeth, right? No, I've had to have four teeth extracted in the past 4 years, and have 4 more that will be coming out in the next couple of months.

My hematologist (whose wife is my former vet) tells me that bad teeth are also due to chronic hemolytic anemia (which I also have). Neechee also had that, and had to have ten teeth pulled two years before he died.
 
All that I can say, these people can't find their own self-worth, so why should they think a dog is worth the while to take care of. They should not even have a dog. They should be strung upside down by their toe nails.

Just aggravates me for you, I am so sorry you are dealing with these problems, and pee wee shouldn't have to either. Idiots!

Hopefully all goes well and improves in the future.
 
Back
Top