Would Another Sheltie Help?

suristo

Forums Enthusiast
Well, Shelties seem to be like potato chips... You can't have just one. I really, really want a confident, happy go lucky sheltie. I read the tales of some of your alls, and I just miss having it from my last dog. I love Monet dearly, but I know it will be a long time before he gets anywhere close. I'm not giving up on him (or giving him up), but I was wondering if a confident dog would help him? And would allow me to actually have an obedience dog?

I don't care what color, gender, or height, though it would be neat to have another merle to match him. ;)

Am I being silly... Do I need to just focus on Monet and not worry about another dog? Or, would it be beneficial to him? I have to wait until I see if I get this higher paying job before I even consider it. But, I want to research into a dog and find one that has the personality I want.
 
I have a bunch of more confident than your average shelties, with one who is backward due to what happened to her in the past. Being around the more outgoing ones doesn't change her. Out in public, she is who she is whether by herself, or with the others. The only thing that has changed what she is like is hard work. Lots of getting her out, and clicking and treating for positive reactions to the world around her, people, and other dogs. Lots of getting together with dog savvy friends, loading them with treats, and having them feed her while not looking at her if she chooses to approach them. If you want Monet to be a more confident dog, you've got a lot of hard work ahead of you. Some shy dogs will never come completely out of it, but yours is still a puppy. He isn't 100% set yet. Get him in an obedience class that uses positive methods, and keep getting him out there, letting him learn that the world/dogs/people are a positive experience to interact with. Just be aware that if you are going to take him out to work on his shyness, you need to be able to spend the whole time he is out and about paying attention to what is going on, and being ready to reward good reactions. Make sure not to overface him, and let him build confidence slowly. Agility has also made a world of difference for her. It has really helped to build confidence.
Just curious... if you wanted an obedience dog, which takes a certain type of dog to really be successful, why did you purchase a shy dog? There are plenty out there who are suitable to be future obedience dogs without the extra hurdle of being backward. Some will overcome that anyway, but in my personal experience with performance dogs, it is the dogs with a strong bond with their person who truly want to do something, and really want to please their owners.
 
Good questions, Hope. I have him in an obedience class, and he's gotten much better. Last class, we made a huge breakthrough. He actually worked on sit and down with everyone around - before then he was too terrified to do anything else. We've also been going to a conformation class to watch, and I would love to start playing with him in that. I regularly take him on walks and runs, I took him to a horse show, and I am trying to expose him to everything I can without overfacing him. He's not food motivated, unfortunately... So sometimes he will take liver or hotdog treats from people, but other times he won't.

Why did I get him? Good question. Honestly, it was a bad decision. I should have kept looking, waiting for a more outgoing dog. It was impulsive, and I will be more careful the next time I buy a dog. I didn't realize the undertaking it would be, I thought it'd just take him a while get out of his shell. But, now that I've had him a month (and gone through the heartbreak of losing him for that agonizing 16 hours), I just can't let him go.

It's frustrating to realize I was so hasty in my decision. I should have kept researching before purchasing him. I did exactly what I told myself I wouldn't do. But, I had gone two agonizing years without a dog, and when I finally got to a point I could get another dog, I tried to research but apparently failed miserably.
 
You could very easily end up with 2 dogs with a problem. I recall one of the behaviourist (could be Ian Dunbar) saying never get another dog to solve a problem. Remember habits rub off both ways.

Monet is an adolescent and we all went through angst in this phase. I still think he needs time to develop confidence, esp as he is in a new home. Its a lot harder to process information as an adolescent and must be doubly so when he has gone through upheaval.

Why can't you do obedience with him? Shy dogs are great at obedience. There is a good book called Help for Your Shy Dog: Turning Your Terrified Dog into a Terrific Pet which has a number of examples of shy shelties who excelled at obedience. My female sheltie would not leave the house after being attacked as a pup. She now does flyball and agility and places fetch with other dogs. She will never be the most confident dog but in fact this makes her the easiest to teach as she is so willing to please and so trusting of me. I did an article for the current Club newsletter on our journey http://www.bdoc.asn.au/BDOC_Newsletter_Feb_2011.pdf (p18).

Dont despair, as he grows up he will become the dog you want him to be. But you may want to find him some doggie playmates - perhaps through your local obedience club.
 
True. Besides his fear, he doesn't really have any other problems - he doesn't exhibit fear aggression, just trembles. He's really a love bug now. He is really smart at obedience, he picks things up quickly if he's in a thinking mode. When he gets fearful, he does not take treats, just lays there and shuts off. I think if I can get him to start coming out of his shell, he would make a great obedience dog.

I won't give up on him, but it's very depressing. I love this dog because he's really sweet, and it's not his fault his personality is like this... I just wish I'd done more research before purchasing him. I found this website just a little too late! I got lucky with my last dog. We did nearly the same thing, but managed to find a well socialized puppy who was extremely outgoing.

I was kind of hoping that I could research, find another dog that fit my original criteria, and have them both. I will not give Monet back to his breeder or anything like that, but it would be nice to have a friendly, outgoing dog. I hope Monet will break out of this, but he was not well socialized as a pup. His mother, sister, and half sister were all very nice outgoing dogs, but they were show dogs and were well socialized.
 
I'll weigh in here, too :)

Firstly, I think that Monet is still very young, and he honestly hasn't been with you very long. If I were you, I would give him more time to get used to you, his home, and working with you. He is also still a baby, and he's still learning the ropes. Remember that not too long ago his life was very different...he will want to please you, but he's still learning how.

So to answer your question, I don't think that getting another dog is a bad idea...I just think that it's an idea that needs to get put on the back burner for a few months. Let Monet grow up, mature, and learn to be comfortable with you before you introduce another dog into the mix.

It is also true that you shouldn't get one dog to fix the problems that your other dog has. Realize that a second dog could pick up a few of Monet's bad habits, and vice versa. That being said, I also think that picking the right dog could really help Monet further gain confidence.

So...give it a few more months. Consider how much confidence Monet has gained, and how much he has changed in the few months that he has been with you. He will most likely grow and change even more in the few months to come.
 
I agree with Ashley.

Wait a bit and if you do get another dog get it for the right reasons. It would be imperative that the other dog is very confident, social and calm!
I am thinking of maybe rescuing another old dog sometime who has all of the above behaviour traits... I miss my ex roomies ole German Shepherd :biggrin2:
She was good for me AND for Toffee :D
 
Our shy dog didn't suceed in obedience until she did agility. Honestly, not sure what it was about the agility, but it gave Vinca SO MUCH confidence. She is truly a happy dog now. This took 4 long years though. She is still not confident around strangers or strange places, but handles shows very well as long as no one tried to pet her :rolleyes2:
 
Our shy dog didn't suceed in obedience until she did agility. Honestly, not sure what it was about the agility, but it gave Vinca SO MUCH confidence. She is truly a happy dog now. This took 4 long years though. She is still not confident around strangers or strange places, but handles shows very well as long as no one tried to pet her :rolleyes2:

haha
I agree, Agility is a huge confidence booster, and also is great because in the ring it is just you and your dog :biggrin2:

Toffee is also ok at shows and places nowadays.. but sometimes it's
.. bark bark bark.. THIS PERSON IS TRYING TO PET ME, LOOK AT ME, OR TALK TO ME bark bark bark
Usually a guy... lol No matter how many times I say just ignore him, don't look at him don't try and make him like you... Just wait til he comes up to you to be petted, which he usually always does IF given time, but too many people just don't get that?!! hahaha Lab owners, probably!!!
 
Everyone has said what I would have. Another dog won't solve the problem and having two dogs means sharing time, would could potentially leave less time with dealing with Monet (love the name, btw).

Just one thing, not taking treats from strangers does not necessarily mean he isn't food motivated. When a dog is feeling really stressed it won't take the tastiest of morsels.

Also it takes time to bond with a dog and for them to come to trust you. Young pups take to you quicker because they are so dependant and need a 'protector' but older pups are already through that and more independant. Give him some time, no reason why he shouldn't blossom into an obedience dog with patience and training.:wink2:
 
Back
Top