Young Puppy won't poo where he goes pee

Butler

Forums Novice
We brought our new boy, Butler, home from the breeder on Monday. He is just 8 weeks old. He is a very sweet boy and we love having him home.

He fusses when he needs to go pee or poo and I take him out immediately. I have been keeping him on a leash attached to me during the day or he is in his crate when I can't watch him. After he goes potty I do let him play off leash in our fenced yard or a confined room. During that short time I watch him constantly to avoid any accidents. I also take him out at regular intervals and after naps or meals. We have a section of the yard about 3 feet by 6 feet that is just a patch of dirt that we have set apart for his potty, and I give him a potty command every time we go there and praise him when he goes. I have trained other puppies successfully this way, but butler has a quirk I am not sure how to deal with. The other puppies I have potty trained had no problem going both pee and poo in the spot we set aside for them. We don't currently have any pets other than Butler.

He goes pee in his potty spot without problem, but he will try not to poo there. Twice yesterday he needed to go poo so I took him out. Once there he wouldn't go. I waited several minutes then brought him back in. A few minutes later he tried to squat inside. We went out again and he refused to go in that spot. This pattern continued for an hour until he had to go so badly that he had no choice but to poo there. Then he seemed a bit peeved at me when I tried to praise him for it. We still have no problem with him when he needs to go pee, but he has started to try to hide behind me when he wants to poo. Since he is always confined he can’t go far so I can catch him but I am concerned that he has begun to try to be sneaky. Away from home he likes to poo on rocks. Is there any reason he would not want to go where he pees, or on the dirt for some other reason not like the place I take him? If there is something going on that I am missing I can adapt, but I definitely want him to learn to go in a designated spot.

He is learning quickly and will fuss when he wants to go outside to play but not go potty. It didn't take him long to figure out that I would take him out when he fusses. I don't let him play in the yard unless he uses the potty area first. He loves to run in the grass, so I hope that the opportunity to have free play there will motivate him to go potty where we want him to, but I don't want to create a problem either if there is some reason what I am asking him to do is unreasonably.

Has anyone else ever dealt with this? Will he just get over it eventually and conform to my desire to have him go potty in my chosen spot?

Thanks,
Butler's Mom
 
Just keep doing what you are doing. He will get it and he will not be damaged. He is 8 wks old and they are like that. :smile2:

You are doing a great job.
 
Sca has separate spots and he is teaching Spitfire the same habit. He can pee anywhere but #2 has to be done certain places and there is always a lag between the two :rolleyes2:
 
My 8 week old Maggie is the same way. She will pee in the spot but likes to wander a bit more before going #2. I think you are doing the right thing as well. Puppies are puppies!:smile2:
 
As an adult, my boy's favorite place to poop was in the far corner of the yard, as far away as possible from the house back door.

Wherever he pooped, he made sure that he didn't poop in what he considered to be a "good area". Instead, he pooped at the edges of the yard. He was very tidy, and didn't want to poop in areas where he was likely to walk.
 
Mozart would only pee and poo on grass area. But he needs to walk around a bit to do the poo part. I usually let him wander a bit and guide him back to the place he peed to do his poo. :biggrin2: So even though his potty area looks like its an open field, it's actually a 4'x4' area on the field. Puppies are stubborn though, Mozart would definitely not potty on anything but grass. :rolleyes2:
 
We brought our new boy, Butler, home from the breeder on Monday. He is just 8 weeks old. He is a very sweet boy and we love having him home.

He fusses when he needs to go pee or poo and I take him out immediately. I have been keeping him on a leash attached to me during the day or he is in his crate when I can't watch him. After he goes potty I do let him play off leash in our fenced yard or a confined room. During that short time I watch him constantly to avoid any accidents. I also take him out at regular intervals and after naps or meals. We have a section of the yard about 3 feet by 6 feet that is just a patch of dirt that we have set apart for his potty, and I give him a potty command every time we go there and praise him when he goes. I have trained other puppies successfully this way, but butler has a quirk I am not sure how to deal with. The other puppies I have potty trained had no problem going both pee and poo in the spot we set aside for them. We don't currently have any pets other than Butler.

He goes pee in his potty spot without problem, but he will try not to poo there. Twice yesterday he needed to go poo so I took him out. Once there he wouldn't go. I waited several minutes then brought him back in. A few minutes later he tried to squat inside. We went out again and he refused to go in that spot. This pattern continued for an hour until he had to go so badly that he had no choice but to poo there. Then he seemed a bit peeved at me when I tried to praise him for it. We still have no problem with him when he needs to go pee, but he has started to try to hide behind me when he wants to poo. Since he is always confined he can’t go far so I can catch him but I am concerned that he has begun to try to be sneaky. Away from home he likes to poo on rocks. Is there any reason he would not want to go where he pees, or on the dirt for some other reason not like the place I take him? If there is something going on that I am missing I can adapt, but I definitely want him to learn to go in a designated spot.

He is learning quickly and will fuss when he wants to go outside to play but not go potty. It didn't take him long to figure out that I would take him out when he fusses. I don't let him play in the yard unless he uses the potty area first. He loves to run in the grass, so I hope that the opportunity to have free play there will motivate him to go potty where we want him to, but I don't want to create a problem either if there is some reason what I am asking him to do is unreasonably.

Has anyone else ever dealt with this? Will he just get over it eventually and conform to my desire to have him go potty in my chosen spot?

Thanks,
Butler's Mom

Can you find a seperate spot for him to go poo? Mally does not poo where he goes pee. He has repetitive spots for pee in our yard and repetitive spots for poo. Same thing one walks special places for each.
 
Both my Shelties like to walk around to find just the right spot to poop. One of my Shelties likes privacy for the pooping duty (but not for peeing) & goes as far away as he can. He wouldn't poop if we were watching him & he would glance over to see if we were looking... it really bothered him if we were. So, we would turn our backs & pretend we weren't watching! Since you mentioned your puppy wants to go behind you to poop, that may be why.
 
Back
Top