Recent content by dream2012

  1. D

    Peroneal Hernia in 6-3/4 year sheltie, having surgery today

    Thank you, everyone, who responded. Several months have gone by and I haven’t had a chance to update the group, but Jax came home after the surgery and was doing well but we noticed that he was dribbling urine throughout the house. We were not warned that this was a possibility after the surgery...
  2. D

    Peroneal Hernia in 6-3/4 year sheltie, having surgery today

    Update on Jac. The surgery went well yesterday and the surgeon called this morning to give an update. Jac had a small amount of canned food this morning, had a bit of diarrhea, which is expected. I will be picking him up today and monitor him closely when doing his business. I sure hope this...
  3. D

    Peroneal Hernia in 6-3/4 year sheltie, having surgery today

    Thank you, Piper! Having done the obedience classes with the previous three shelties, i have worked and trained Jax on the basic commands. I tried to enroll him in agility classes, but the class was over one hour away and just didnt work with my schedule, I do run hi every day in the yars and he...
  4. D

    Peroneal Hernia in 6-3/4 year sheltie, having surgery today

    Thank you for your prompt reply, Sharon! Your shelties are beautiful! Appreciate your comment about the neutering. As you suggested, I have used positive reinforcement on Jax since he was a puppy and I never leave the house without his favorite treats. this often works, other times it does not...
  5. D

    Peroneal Hernia in 6-3/4 year sheltie, having surgery today

    Have any of your dogs had a peroneal hernia? Jax has had trouble defecating for several months, but would always have at least one BM per day. Of late, he has been straining harder without luck, we walk a few steps, squats, nothing. His mood and temperament has not changed, has been in good...
  6. D

    Feeling like a prisoner lately...

    I have a four-year old sheltie who has been a wonderful pet but seems to be unstable at times with certain dogs. He has many friends in the neighborhood, he has playtime with several dogs during the week, but there is a Golden Retriever that he despises. Mind you, there are two other Goldens in...
  7. D

    Another med not for Shelties

    Jackson squeals with excitement when i say, "time to clean your teeth!" I think he loves the Arm and Hammer Vanilla Ginger toothpaste. I started brushing his teeth as a puppy and he is used to my opening his mouth, checking his teeth, etc. He is so compliant while i brush and runs to his...
  8. D

    Flea and tick prevention

    Thanks, everyone! I think I will stick with Frontline since it is working. My vet wants our dog on it year-round, but once the temps drop and the ground freezes, i see no reason to use it. Have not found a tick on Jax since being on Frontline. Fleas have never been an issue. It is interesting...
  9. D

    Flea and tick prevention

    Thanks! Do you live in an area with deer and wildlife?
  10. D

    Flea and tick prevention

    I'm interested in what many of you use for flea and tick prevention. I started using Frontline last year April through November and it has worked effectively. I've used it in previous Shelties without an issue. Now, my vet wants me to use Simparica. What flea and tick med has been found to be...
  11. D

    Help with aggressive behavior when leaving play group

    Thank you, Piper's mom. Just this morning, in the rain, we took a short walk and he spotted a new neighbor dog, whom he has seen on occasion while the owner was running with his dog, a Golden Retriever. Dog appeared happy, smiling and enjoying the jog with his owner. We have the invisible fence...
  12. D

    Vet concerned about sheltie's weight

    Thank you, everyone, for your advice. Always appreciated.
  13. D

    Vet concerned about sheltie's weight

    I agree, Sharon. With my previous three shelties, trying to keep weight off was sometimes a challenge, now i have the opposite problem. He does eat well and on his schedule most days. it is 12:40 and he has yet to eat his food, but by four, he wilhave devoured it. Then another cup in the early...
  14. D

    Vet concerned about sheltie's weight

    Thanks, all! My three previous shelties were not as bony and i guess that is why i was a bit concerned. I guess, like people, some dogs are more muscular, others skinny, bony. I know i am not a large boned human. Small boned. I know feeling the ribs is a good test and i can definitely feel the...
  15. D

    Vet concerned about sheltie's weight

    Can you feel their spine bone? IF i run my hand down Jax's bacl. it is not covered with much fat!
Back
Top