Recent content by Moxie

  1. M

    How clingy is too clingy?

    Thanks for the imput! Yeah, I described it as "clingy" because I've pretty much only owned sighthounds. And in all those years, I've only had one who wanted to be with me just for the sake of being with me. The others all just care about the most comfortable place to sleep but will "put up"...
  2. M

    How clingy is too clingy?

    So my half Sheltie-half Collie puppy is quite clingy. And I'm reading mixed things on it. Some places says its natural for a dog of this breed(s) to be clingy and follow it's master. Other places say if a dog follows its master everywhere they go then it's overly attached. So I don't know...
  3. M

    Dangerous seperation anxiety

    I've had Levi two weeks now. When I got him he was practically feral, never being held or touched. I'm sure coming from that into a loving home is where this anxiety came from.
  4. M

    Dangerous seperation anxiety

    I have a wire crate, which is where he's at when we leave the house and at night. I can't possibly keep him in the crate 24/7. I need him to learn to be relaxed in the house and not jump off the balcony if he gets accidently closed in a room that I'm not in.
  5. M

    Dangerous seperation anxiety

    So I have this new 3 month old puppy. We think he's half Sheltie, half Collie. Anyway, he's quite worrisome. He's attached to me. Has to be with me at all times. Screams in his crate if I'm in another room. Doesn't stop. Anyway, he's scared us half to death twice now, trying to get to...
  6. M

    Sheltie Yearly Costs

    In all my years with dogs I've never encountered this. Once you toss it at them and engage in play with the item they will realize it's theirs. They won't get "their" sock confused with another of yours.
  7. M

    Sheltie Yearly Costs

    While it's good and important to have money (or a credit card you don't use) set aside for emergencies, you can actually care for the usual day to day of your pet rather inexpensively. I've owned healthy, happy dogs my entire life and have always lived paycheck to paycheck. I bought a...
  8. M

    What's the point of bracing?

    Well, a couple days ago they came unglued and stayed perfect for two days. Not sure how long they would have stayed because I found some moleskin today and eyelash glue and fixed them up nice. Just the fact that they didn't start to float back down made me feel hopeful. Going to try to keep...
  9. M

    What's the point of bracing?

    Yeah, I glued the hairy tip of the ear to the hair at the top of his skull. That's correct, right? For the brace I could only use surgical tape to adhere it to the inside of the ear because I couldn't find skin-safe adhesive glue. So he was able to get that out in no time. He looks the same...
  10. M

    What's the point of bracing?

    My Levi (collie/sheltie) has severe hound ears: http://www.flickr.com/photos/27003803@N08/6943444992/ I live in Mexico and tried to find things to cross brace and tip them. Unfortunately I couldn't find the exact right items, so had to make due. Well, not surprisingly, the brace fell out...
  11. M

    A few questions about neutering

    So I have a 3 month old blue merle Sheltie/Collie cross. I think. :) Anyway, we live in Mexico where unaltered dogs roam the streets freely. I definitely want to get Levi neutered but am unsure of the best time. I neutered my last male (different breed) when he was about 4 months old...
  12. M

    New Sheltie owner in Mexico!! Have some questions

    Well, I picked him up today. He's 3 months old and 14.5". So quite oversize. bibluegirl, I think it's an "oops" litter too. That's okay though. He's beautiful and has a great temperament. I actually think that having a little Collie in him will make him a bit more patient with my toddler. :)
  13. M

    New Sheltie owner in Mexico!! Have some questions

    Thanks everyone, you all confirmed my suspicions. I'm only annoyed that the lady wasn't honest with me, but that's very common here. I could have gotten an AKC papered pedigreed Sheltie with parents from New York, but the prices are ridiculous. I only wanted a Sheltie for the smaller size, as...
  14. M

    New Sheltie owner in Mexico!! Have some questions

    Hi Everyone! We are an American family that moved to Mexico a few months ago. I had to give up one of my two Italian Greyhounds to move here (he was way too skiddish and nutty for Mexico). So I've really been feeling down having just my one dog. We tried out a shelter dog but didn't fit with...
Back
Top