How clingy is too clingy?

Moxie

Forums Novice
So my half Sheltie-half Collie puppy is quite clingy. And I'm reading mixed things on it. Some places says its natural for a dog of this breed(s) to be clingy and follow it's master. Other places say if a dog follows its master everywhere they go then it's overly attached.

So I don't know if I need to curb this behavior or accept it. Levi is by my side 99% of the day that I'm home. If I am at my computer, he's three feet away just watching me or sleeping. If I get up and go downstairs to get a drink, he follows. If I go to the bathroom he lays at my feet until I'm done. Anywhere I go he is there. It's only me he follows around, nobody else.

I don't mind any of that and I actually like it, as compared to my snobby, aloof sighthound, but I don't want it to create problems. I need him to be able to be left with family when I travel. I need him to relax when I'm not home. I have a feeling those later two things he won't be able to do yet.

I'm slowly working on making him comfortable in the crate when I'm not in the room. He's getting there slowly. I no longer hear him screaming as I pull into the driveway.

So do I let him follow me around like a shadow, or do I need to train this out of him?

Thanks.

But I just don't know how much of this is just his breed.
 
I tend to think that it's pretty typical of the breed. When I'm home the dogs are almost never in another room. They like to be right near me all the time.

But, I think as a puppy it's a good time to start practicing being apart. I would start crating Levi while you are home, just for short periods so he learns to be quiet and relax even while you are home.
 
My 12 year old rescue, Casey, does this. We've had him just over 2 years now. Just in the last few months has he felt secure (or whatever it is) enough to leave my side and go lay by the patio door so he can bark at the ninja squirrels.
 
IMHO, if a dog (well, Sheltie) is following you everywhere, but doesn't exhibit any signs of separation anxiety, then obviously, they just like being near you, or are herding you.

Some stories. Miko always follows me around. Even the breeder asked me, do you want a dog that follows you and greets you at the door, or one that doesn't care (guess the other pup available was way more independent in that sense). BUT, the thing I noticed....if there are more than one person in the house, he situates himself to either one person, OR he finds a spot where he can see both of us....or at least see us leave the room. To me, that's more of his herding instinct. Keep an eye on the herd so to speak.

When I read the title, I was thinking the dog was trying to always sit on you, be in your lap, up against you, had major separation anxiety, etc. So far, sounds kinda normal.

I would definitely work on crating him for short periods of time while home. I'd also work on leaving and coming back. It sounds like he has some anxiety, or maybe he's screaming when you pull in the driveway because he's so happy you're home. It does make a difference.

e.g. Miko will bark when I get home. He's happy and excited, but has no (separation) anxiety at all. Therefore, I accept the barking (although, quite embarrassing when I come home REALLY late/early, lol).

My other dog, he's got separation anxiety and yes, is way too clingy and it's not a good thing. He will whine if we don't allow him to lie against/on us. To me, that's not healthy.

Hope that helps. This is just my opinion. But I don't think lying near you and following is "clingy".
 
Thanks for the imput! Yeah, I described it as "clingy" because I've pretty much only owned sighthounds. And in all those years, I've only had one who wanted to be with me just for the sake of being with me. The others all just care about the most comfortable place to sleep but will "put up" with you petting them or loving on them if it means they'll maybe get fed. lol

Having a dog who wants to be me for the sake of being with me is so alien to me. I do love it. Except I keep tripping over him and stepping on his tail.

He does get nervous if my children walk way ahead of us. He will bark at them to come back. Glad he is looking out for them. But that's the extent he's wants to be with them. He generally could care less, but I must be in his eyesight at all times.

We are working on the crate because I do want him calm if I'm not in eyesight. He's getting a little better at it. Still will whine and yelp for a bit, but finally has begun settling down.

On a completely off question... Does anyone know what I can do to protect my senior Italian Greyhound from him playing? She doesn't have many teeth left and he will play rough with her. She'll yell and try to get away but he's just pins her down. I've started giving her privledge of the couches and beds and making them off-limits to him, so she can get away if she needs to.
 
On a completely off question... Does anyone know what I can do to protect my senior Italian Greyhound from him playing? She doesn't have many teeth left and he will play rough with her. She'll yell and try to get away but he's just pins her down. I've started giving her privledge of the couches and beds and making them off-limits to him, so she can get away if she needs to.

You will need to keep a close watch and set limits for your pup. My sheltie was rough with my parents 14 year old beagle when we would visit. She learned quickly that if she was rough we would stop the play and leash her up with us for a few minutes. We made sure that when we could not supervise both of them together, we would crate our Sheltie.

When she was playing around the old beagle, we kept a close eye on them and if any rough play occurred we would say NO. separate her and have her calm down. It's something pups need to learn.

As for the clingy question, I agree with the others. It isn't something to be worried about but it's important that they learn to be alone also with some crate time. Good luck with your pup!:wink2:
 
Thanks for the imput! Yeah, I described it as "clingy" because I've pretty much only owned sighthounds. And in all those years, I've only had one who wanted to be with me just for the sake of being with me. The others all just care about the most comfortable place to sleep but will "put up" with you petting them or loving on them if it means they'll maybe get fed. lol

Having a dog who wants to be me for the sake of being with me is so alien to me. I do love it. Except I keep tripping over him and stepping on his tail.

He does get nervous if my children walk way ahead of us. He will bark at them to come back. Glad he is looking out for them. But that's the extent he's wants to be with them. He generally could care less, but I must be in his eyesight at all times.

We are working on the crate because I do want him calm if I'm not in eyesight. He's getting a little better at it. Still will whine and yelp for a bit, but finally has begun settling down.

Zoey is very attached to me...to the point where she whines and barks if I block her from following me. Not good. We've had all sorts of insecurity issues with her since she was a pup. Hope your situation isn't similar.

On a completely off question... Does anyone know what I can do to protect my senior Italian Greyhound from him playing? She doesn't have many teeth left and he will play rough with her. She'll yell and try to get away but he's just pins her down. I've started giving her privledge of the couches and beds and making them off-limits to him, so she can get away if she needs to.

Sounds like he's bullying your older dog. Be watchful and step in where necessary until your pup gets a bit older (and can control himself better). I have to watch Zoey (my 2.5 year old Sheltie) when she's playing with Murphy (our newest rescue who's about 6 years old). I can tell when he's had enough because he'll run over to me or sit in a corner. That's when I stop the play and quiet Zoey down. They are a bit dense...sometimes they don't know they're being a pain.
 
This is normal sheltie behavior in our house. Sally is usually within eyesight of both of us if she can be and wherever we are if just one of us is home.She is just near us, doesn't have to be on us. I love the attention myself.Good idea to have the pup crate trained and polite around other dogs.Always good to redirect undesired behavior before it becomes a hard to break habit - i think.
 
Yep, love my Toffee shadow, would feel weird if he wasn't there!!
You learn to watch out for their tails, lol
My friend's Borzoi finds a cozy spot too, and goes to bed early!! Mr T would never do that, he'd rather sit on cold floor than go to bed, if that is the only way he can be with me, lol
Crate games is a great way to train your dog to accept and get to like the crate, I am slowly but surely getting somewhere finally, glad I didn't give up!
As far as your Iggy goes, I agree you need to step in, stop the play when it gets too much, put him on lead/crate to cool off and that's all. Wouldn't leave them alone together uncrated until you trust all is well.
 
Back
Top