12 weeks

corbinam

Moderator
I think I mentioned before that the litter of puppies that we are looking at this weekend will be 12 weeks old when we can go pick "ours" up. Of course this is all banking that we choose one--but they're so cute and there are several girls to choose from so that probably won't be an issue.

The breeder normally sends the puppies home at 8 weeks, but is willing to keep one for us until 12 weeks. My questions are these...is this a bad age to put a puppy in a new situation?

Also...will we be behind on training at that point? 12 week old puppies seem so much bigger than 8 week old ones!

I just don't know much about puppy developmental stages and what training breeders do before sending the puppies home (housebreaking, leash training, etc...)
 
I don't think 12 weeks is a problem at all. I got Bailey when she was 10 weeks old and she picked up everything very quickly.

Sheltie pups are very smart, so you shouldn't have a problem with training.
 
That's a question for the breeder. I was blessed that even at 8 weeks, my breeder had pup car socialized, traffic socialized (she would sit on the front lawn with the pup to get him used to cars going by), and she had already started crate training, so the first night home was a breeze!

During that 4 week period you want the pup socialized with people and some basic training (including house-breaking). If you are planning on using a crate, then you'll want the breeder to start introducing it. You might even bring her the crate that you plan to use to get pup used to that one.

But even if none of that occurs, 12 weeks is still plenty young to get started.
 
We got Layla at 8.5 weeks. Bits came home at 10 weeks. No problem with either. Beckon was 12 weeks, and he's been easiest of all! Socializing is everything -- Alexandra of Norwood Kennels is a master at that. :yes:
 
Due to family obligations we weren't able to take Tyr until he was 11wks old. Our breeder did a superb job of getting him started...he came to us well on his way with housetraining and socialization.

As long as the breeder is good 12 wks shouldn't be a problem. If you find a pup that suits you go for it!
 
What is so funny around here, my two setters were 12 weeks, and so was Lucky and Lady. I love them at this age, they are with mom longer, and I think that is great. It just so happened that is when we found them.
 
Thanks everyone--I think I'm just over analyzing (who, me?) the situation. The breeder is great, which is why I'm driving all the way to Virginia to meet her and the litter to begin with. I just have to remember that!
 
I haven't been on the forum long, so I hope you don't mind me butting in.

It's easy to over analyze such an important decision! I agonized daily over Nubie's successor. I knew I could never replace him, but it was important to me to find the right pup rather than make an impulse or even unwise decision. Better to ask these questions now BEFORE you're committed.

One thought though is to talk to your breeder about any expectations/concerns and inquire about the training/socialization the pup would have by the she(?) comes home with you. It may make the decision easier.

Hope this helps. On a lighter note it's too bad we had the recent monsoon, otherwise your drive up here would be wonderful w/ the fall foliage!
 
On a lighter note it's too bad we had the recent monsoon, otherwise your drive up here would be wonderful w/ the fall foliage!

I know! The breeder says her backyard is basically in ruin after what happened!

I'm from Harrisonburg, VA, so I was really looking forward to the beautiful fall colors.
Oh---and welcome to the forum!
 
The breeder normally sends the puppies home at 8 weeks, but is willing to keep one for us until 12 weeks. My questions are these...is this a bad age to put a puppy in a new situation?

Also...will we be behind on training at that point? 12 week old puppies seem so much bigger than 8 week old ones!

I just don't know much about puppy developmental stages and what training breeders do before sending the puppies home (housebreaking, leash training, etc...)


Like everyone else said if the breeder starts the early training, 12 weeks should be fine. I got Justice at almost 12 weeks and he is the most rock solid dog you'll ever met. His breeder had him crate trained, car trained, almost house trained, start on retreiving, leash trained. He was so easy!:biggrin2: I got the girls at 9 wk and 8 wks. They are great dogs too but I had to do all the hard work.:smile2:
 
Back
Top