12 weeks

Lacey was 16 weeks when I brought her home. It's been so long between each dog, but honestly is didn't seem to make a difference. Each dog has had different personalities. The first two were brought home at 8 weeks. One was Ms. Diva who didn't like to play (I think she thought that was beneath her) and hated getting her feet wet or dirty. However she loved people and was very social. The second was a ball-a-holic who was really a one person dog. She was an incredibly smart dog. The current pup is very social and likes her toys, but it's like I'll play for a while then it's time to do other stuff. The only thing is she seems to really like other dogs. I assume that is because the breeder also had two other puppies she was keeping. So she played daily with other dogs for a longer period of time.

As far as potty training, if they are a little bit older their bladder is going to be more developed and they should be able to go for longer periods of time between potty breaks. All three of my Shelties have been females and were very easy to train both for potty and general commands.

Sounds like you have checked out your breeder, so she is probably socializing the pup. Actually if you have never had a puppy, a little bit older one will probably work better for you.

You'll only miss out on the "cuteness factor" between the 8 and 11 weeks.
 
Puppy pictures!

So I promised puppy pictures...so I'll share! We just got back from our loooong day (15 hours in the car in one day!) to visit a litter in Virginia. It ended up being totally worth it since we put down a deposit on a pup and are picking her up in December.

A quick recap of how we picked her...we got there and there were 6 girls and 1 boy. Talk about overwhelming! There were 2 girls that were available as pets right off the bat because they both have underbites. The breeder is going to wait the other ones out until she can tell which ones will go to show homes and which ones won't.

As soon as we walked in, every single puppy ran up to us wanting to get some attention. I was hoping there would just be one to make our choice easier! We decided to look closely at the 2 available since we won't be able to get back to look again when she knows which ones will go to companion homes. Both girls were on the small side, but one of them really caught our attention. She was the bigger of the 2 (still small, though) and just melted when we picked her up like she was totally at ease. The breeder said that one is one of her favorites of the litter and that if she didn't have an underbite she would have kept her to show and hope she ended up big enough. We were sold! So we pick Lexi up on 12/27 and will be sure to share more pics then!

Until then...here she is at 6 weeks old:

http://picasaweb.google.com/lh/photo/UAHD4enz9JvQIb-9orHJQw?feat=directlink

http://picasaweb.google.com/lh/photo/UU4SCDwvSO6h7-dsjW2HEA?feat=directlink

http://picasaweb.google.com/lh/photo/psROs6YGzMIbkLk0nMm7Tg?feat=directlink

http://picasaweb.google.com/lh/photo/QHTN97m2VPOCJfeMDZF5-g?feat=directlink

http://picasaweb.google.com/lh/photo/VROBbzYSgzTp4mOJ6wq00w?feat=directlink

You can see the whole litter here: (Lexi is Puppy5 and the other one we could choose from is Puppy7)

http://www.whisperwind.com/Nursery/tabid/55/AlbumID/444-43/Default.aspx
 
She is darling!:smile2: Congratulations on your new addition. I bet your counting the days until you can bring her home. Good thing you have the wedding to distract you.
 
Congrats!! Lexi is adorable!! Her underbite must be slight..atleast you can't tell in the pictures...
My Abby has a underbite..hers is pretty severe and you can see her teeth almost all the time..LOL We have to be vigilant with brushing..even then she has had 3 teeth pulled..which actually helped with her bite...
She's pretty scary looking if she curls her lip..which she does a lot to Clancy, her bratty older brother..LOL

On waiting to 12 weeks..I've heard alot of talk about how its better for them especially smaller breeds of dogs...I don't remember all the reasons..LOL and of course it would depend on how well the breeder and momma dog worked with the pups...

I got Abby at around 14 weeks...and no issues with her from it...

Julie
Clancy & Abby
 
Congrats on the new puppy and I love the name. I bet you can't wait to go pick her up!! With the wedding and all the time should just fly by plus it always seem's to this time of year. I am so happy you had a good trip.
 
This is kind of random, but I love the names of the dogs the woman you are getting your dog from has. That was a long sentence. :biggrin2::uhoh:

Maybe you will get some new puppy stuff for Christmas.
 
Back
Top