5 week old puppy! help!

Skrodlada

Forums Novice
I just purchased a sheltie with the intention of taking him home around 6 weeks even though that is still a little young, now the breeder is calling and saying the puppies are fully weened and we can take them home at 5 weeks. I've been to the house and the area is great for these puppies so its no puppy mill, and the parents are good looking, healthy dogs. But now I'm a little worried because they are coming home at 5 weeks old. I have the intention of taking him to the vet the first week I have him just to get him checked and see what the vet says but I cant ease my mind. He won't be alone at all there will be someone there for him 24/7 for the next month or so, so I wasn't too worried about him being lonely I just don't want any health issues. I've googled as much as I can but I really want this puppy but I'm really worried about it now.. Help!

Thanks!!
 
Anyone who would want you to take a 5 week old puppy home is irresponsible.
This would be like you raising a singleton puppy.
We don't even give the first vaccination until their 8th week. I would add that this puppy, and all it's littermates have probably not been vet checked. That is very important BEFORE you purchase your pup. There are genetic things that a vet will test for.......like a heart murmur, loose knee joints, obvious eye anomalies, that the breeder may miss.
There will be another puppy for you from a more reputable breeder.
Walk away.
 
I would walk away, I know it will be hard to do but in the long run the best thing. They need to be with mom's till 8 to 9 weeks. Not a good sign.
 
I would have serious misgivings about a breeder who wanted me to take a puppy home at 5 weeks. That is too early.

I live in a condo in an area with a high density of dogs. When I explained to my breeder I would have a hard time finding a potty area where I could be absolutely certain no other dog had been, she happily kept my puppy until after his second set of shots. A good breeder shouldn't be trying to send her puppies to their new homes as soon as possible.
 
Don't do it.. I made the mistake of taking a BC once at 5 weeks and I regretted it to this day. I had 2 other BC's at home for him too a male & a female... pups learn so much from Mom between weeks 6-8 its amazing. I am with everyone else here 8 weeks is Ideal 6 is doable but 8 is so much better. definately sounds like she in too much of a hurry to unload herself from the extra puppy burden.

Just tell her look I want the pup but I am not prepared to take Him/her before such and such a date. for whatever reason ( if you have to make one up do so)
 
puppies need to be with mom and littermates to learn how to be a dog and develop doggy manners- 5 weeks is way too early.
 
I agree with the others. I would never send a puppy to a new home under 8 weeks old!! As a matter of fact I kept a puppy until he was 3.5 months because the new owner wanted to wait until she got back from her vaction in Florida.
 
I agree with the others. 6 is to early and 5 is far worse. I got Sca at 10 weeks though the other pup in the litter was gone by then so I think I could have gotten him at 8. If the breeder is willing to cut corners at 6 weeks then reduce that what other shortcuts are they willing to take?
 
Back
Top