Adopting Sheltie rescues are really competitive. Any advice?

angelnov90gmail.com

Forums Regular
Hi!

I fell in love with Shelties when there was this senior one at my old dog hotel job (thought it was a mix at first) and I spent the most time with her when we were told to play with the dogs. Out of my favourite breeds, they are the best fit for me and the other way around.

I have been reviewing the guidelines of Sheltie rescues in my area since I really rather adopt than buy one (not because of financial reasons). They seem pretty strict but I totally agree that they have to be. Also, the ones in my target age range are adopted quickly (1-6 years). A 7-year old that I liked was adopted pretty quicky. So I think my chances are really low since it’s competitive and I haven’t had a dog since I was a kid. It doesn't seem that I can even foster them. I think the only advantage I have is that I don't have kids because some rescues aren't good fits for families with children.

Someone suggested to me to contact reputable breeders for discounted, older ones or returned pups. I really prefer to not buy one, but I am considering asking to be put a waitlist for those returned dogs or the ones who couldn't make in conformation. If I do decide to buy my first one, maybe it'll be easier to adopt one later on.

Do you have any advice? I'd like some input before I decide to buy one or just adopt a different dog from a shelter. Thanks!
 
Hi...
I completely understand your dilemma! Having rescued most of my shelties years ago it was so much easier. Some of the rescues will not allow out of state adoptions. Which I understand in theory. However, if you have owned shelties in the past and have s great network of references I feel they should allow it.

I also have adopted a retired show dog. Many breeders do get returns or maybe need to reduce their numbers. Make sure you go to the home. Make sure it not a puppy mill situation!

They best dogs I ever got were rescues! Good luck!
 
I completely understand :( Here in Northern CA, sheltie rescue is very small. Just not a popular breed here, whereas some states have huge rescues (think TX). Also, some rescues are almost impossible to adopt from unless you are retired or work from home (they don't want the dog left alone for more than 4 hours a day). Like anything, when the demand is higher than the supply they can be as picky as they want. I lived in an apartment for many years, which meant I went with a breeder. I currently have a yard, but that could change.

I don't know that having a Sheltie will put me higher on a list to adopt :( I will never regret getting Gavin from a breeder. NEVER.

Without knowing where you live, it is hard to know, but shelters do get in shelties in some areas.
Also, some rescues adopt out younger shelties without them ever making the website. They seem to have applications already waiting and choose from them sometimes.
 
Hi...
I completely understand your dilemma! Having rescued most of my shelties years ago it was so much easier. Some of the rescues will not allow out of state adoptions. Which I understand in theory. However, if you have owned shelties in the past and have s great network of references I feel they should allow it.

I also have adopted a retired show dog. Many breeders do get returns or maybe need to reduce their numbers. Make sure you go to the home. Make sure it not a puppy mill situation!

They best dogs I ever got were rescues! Good luck!
Thanks! I noticed that people on this forum are saying that good quality Shelties used to be much cheaper but I didn't know that it was also easier to adopt them in the past.
 
I completely understand :( Here in Northern CA, sheltie rescue is very small. Just not a popular breed here, whereas some states have huge rescues (think TX). Also, some rescues are almost impossible to adopt from unless you are retired or work from home (they don't want the dog left alone for more than 4 hours a day). Like anything, when the demand is higher than the supply they can be as picky as they want. I lived in an apartment for many years, which meant I went with a breeder. I currently have a yard, but that could change.

I don't know that having a Sheltie will put me higher on a list to adopt :( I will never regret getting Gavin from a breeder. NEVER.

Without knowing where you live, it is hard to know, but shelters do get in shelties in some areas.
Also, some rescues adopt out younger shelties without them ever making the website. They seem to have applications already waiting and choose from them sometimes.

I actually do live in Texas and in an apartment like you used to. The requirements you mentioned sound just right. Those kind of criteria means I will often be outbid. People are applying even before they see a Sheltie that they like. Glad it worked out for you though! How long did you try before deciding to buy?
 
Well, since CA has no viable rescue I had no choice (and I had no yard with a 6 foot fence rescue was an automatic no). I had relatives from the midwest suggest I 'adopt' from their local rescues using their home as my home visit and then just take the pup home. I went looking for breeders. I would suggest submitting applications to the area rescues and have home visits before you find a dog you like. kinda like getting pre-approved for a mortgage. just so you know, they will decide what dog they want you to have more than you picking a dog.

I was lucky in that I found a breeder with a litter on the way. I did find that breeders are not always the most technologically obsessed as the general population (not checking e-mail hourly, try the phone instead)
 
I had difficulty with our local Sheltie rescue also, I'm in southern California. Shelties in general here are rare. We offered to adopt a 14 year old years ago; told them we'd had Shelties for over 20 years at that time. They got our application and then just ignored us. He was adopted by someone else but they never even emailed us, we found out by looking at the website. I know it's all volunteer run and those folks have their own busy lives, but I thought it was pretty odd not to hear yes or no from them.

If Texas has more Shelties and more Sheltie breeders, you might even look on Craigs list. Sounds horrible I know but a friend found a Sheltie that way that someone wanted to give away. And yes, we've gotten dogs who did not make the grade for showing and came to us that way. Good luck.
 
'Rescue' has become a trend. Not all bad if the dogs get well cared for. However if you want a Sheltie and the rescues don't have them why not get one through a reputable breeder (for instance check the ASSA or other methods that folks here could suggest)? Advantages of going that route is a good breeder can help match temperament, possibly less health issues and a knowledge of the dogs history.

So for instance if you want a dog for retiree company vs flyball. Flyball dog should be much more driven while a couch potato is awesome for many retirees. Size for agility or flyball? Spitfire was the closest to a rescue as he was 6 months when I got him. I think some of his crazy was due to upbringing before I got him.

In the end after the pup has been with you for 6 months the source does not change home :-)
 
Back
Top