Aging to fast... need advise

Tabitha

Forums Enthusiast
It's no secret to me that F-kap is looseing his eyes to cataracts. They have been a little clowdy for the past couple of years, not to bad, so I wasn't going to let myself worry to much unless it got any worse. They do seem a little more cloudy now. I know one day he may not be able to see at all and there may not be anything I can do about it. My question is, is there any way for me to slow this down?

He's also not responding to my commands as much. I don't think he can hear me as well. When I call to him sometimes I have to call his name 3 or 4 times before he comes. I want to believe he's being disobedient and just needs some training. But when I call him he doesn't even turn his ear toward me, then after I've raised my voice he'll quickly jerk his head up and come as if he'd only just heard me. I REALLY hope he's just being stubborn. I can train away stubbornness, I can't train away aging.:no:

He's only 9 years old and I hate to see him age so quickly.:( Is there anything I can give him for his eyes? I doubt I can do anything about his hearing, but it doesn't hurt to ask. I think I'm managing his arthritis fairly well, he's been pretty stiff the past few weeks but I've gotten him on some stronger joint meds and it's helping a lot.
 
cataracts can be removed in people in quite a simple procedure - wonder if that applies to dogs as well?
 
I would have him checked for hyptothyroid. very common in shelties

Well, actually I would ask for a full assessment while our are it. Ask for bile acids too.
 
I would have him checked for hyptothyroid. very common in shelties

Well, actually I would ask for a full assessment while our are it. Ask for bile acids too.

I already have plans to get his thyroid checked. But why bile acid?:confused2:
 
I agree with Barb to do a bile acid test, while you have him in for testing.

If the liver is not functioning correctly, the dog will appear "dull" - or sort of spaced out in their own little world.

I don't know how to describe it, except that it is different than a dog with cognitive issues (which can come with age - sort of like doggy Alzheimer's).

My 15 year old Wendell has some cognitive issues, and he acts confused sometimes (like - "Where am I?"). He seems to know that something isn't right in his world.

Landree with the liver issues, just zones out sometimes - staring into space, but with no indication that she is confused. She doesn't seem to know that something is amiss.

I certainly don't mean to scare you, as your boy is probably just aging, with a progression of hearing loss and sight.

It is so hard to watch our fur babies age. Hugs to you!
 
I've never seen him staring into space or seeming delusional, but if I can I'll have it checked out anyway.
 
Some cataracts can be removed. Clients of mine had it done on their 17 year old westie. She got nearly another full year before she was lost to cancer. As for hearing, sadly it might have been going for a long time and you are just able to realize it now. My Terv is in the same boat. She is deaf now in one ear and has a tendency to lay on her good ear. I have to be careful not to startle her when I want her to do something, like go outside and pee and she is asleep when I go for her. I usually start by rubbing her foot or shaking her blankets to rouse her. I have found that dogs can feel more vulnerable and can get a bit self protective when they get to this point, especially if they live with other animals. I have also noticed she is starting to get worried about the stairs so obviously her eyes are more involved than they were a month ago. Carrying her is a no go, she weighs 55 lbs so we will put an afghan collar on her and help her down the stairs. For the most part, the dog just adjusts and you have to become ears and eyes for them.
 
I was searching the internet on cataracts and I stumbled across an article. From what I read, it could be possible that he DOSEN'T have cataracts. Here's the paragraph.

"All geriatric dogs (usually beginning at 6 years of age) develop a hardening of the lens (Nuclear Sclerosis) that causes the lens to have a grayish appearance. The grayish-blue haze increases as the dog ages. Nuclear sclerosis is NOT a cataract, and does not usually interfere with vision. The photo to the right shows a normal geriatric dog eye with normal nuclear sclerosis. Nuclear sclerosis also occurs in humans, and the hardening of the lens with age results in reduced near-vision in people; this is why people in their 40’s and older need reading glasses—because their lenses no longer are soft enough to easily change shape to allow for near vision. Another name for this is presbyopia, which means “old eye”. Dogs do not have good near-vision to begin with (compared to people), so nuclear sclerosis does not significantly interfere with their near-vision."​

I'll ask my vet about this when I take him in. I've been told that it's the beginning signs of cataracts and now I'm reading that it's probably not. I really don't know what to think right now.

Here's the link to the whole article.
 
Aging to fast...

I know exactly what you mean... My rescue Chance has the exact same issues.

My vet did a thyroid test and he needs pill 2x a day... that has helped his mood and activity level greatly!

As for the problems getting up... I had him x-rayed and the vet found several bone spurs on his spine. I have been going for laser treatments twice a week and it has really helped him.

His eyes are cloudy as well... most general vets will want you to go to a canine eye specialist - they will tell exactly what is wrong and if surgery is an option for you.

I need to take Chance to an eye specialist next month. Will post how things go. Good luck with your baby... I know it must be hard as we want them to live forever! Hugs to you ...
 
I was searching the internet on cataracts and I stumbled across an article. From what I read, it could be possible that he DOSEN'T have cataracts. Here's the paragraph.
"All geriatric dogs (usually beginning at 6 years of age) develop a hardening of the lens (Nuclear Sclerosis) that causes the lens to have a grayish appearance. The grayish-blue haze increases as the dog ages. Nuclear sclerosis is NOT a cataract, and does not usually interfere with vision. The photo to the right shows a normal geriatric dog eye with normal nuclear sclerosis. Nuclear sclerosis also occurs in humans, and the hardening of the lens with age results in reduced near-vision in people; this is why people in their 40’s and older need reading glasses—because their lenses no longer are soft enough to easily change shape to allow for near vision. Another name for this is presbyopia, which means “old eye”. Dogs do not have good near-vision to begin with (compared to people), so nuclear sclerosis does not significantly interfere with their near-vision."
​
I'll ask my vet about this when I take him in. I've been told that it's the beginning signs of cataracts and now I'm reading that it's probably not. I really don't know what to think right now.

Here's the link to the whole article.

My late sheltie Jasmine's eyes started doing that when she was about 10-11ish.. I remember I came back from college and I was like, "what have you done to my dog?!" But we took her to the vet and they said she was fine. I honestly think the only way you will feel at ease is if you take him to the vet. You can read all the internet articles you want, but nothing is better than your vet looking at him.
 
Back
Top