Sharon7
Moderator
Update
Thank you all so much, as so many have said before me, it is with humble gratitude that I say Sheltie Nation folks are the best. It helps to feel supported.
Ally came home for overnight after a full day on IV fluid. She also had an abdominal ultrasound at my request. I was worried about a mucocele in her gallbladder, since we never identified a reason for her getting pancreatitis. I just wanted to know how many battles we were fighting. The good news is, gallbladder is normal, spleen, GI tract, liver normal for age, but kidneys are looking a little diseased. Lymph nodes all normal. I was quite relieved.
For some reason, Ally has always had slight kidney issues. Her BUN was elevated at 1.5 years old when she was spayed, and stayed that way all her life, finally creeping up very slowly. She never really showed clinical symptoms but always was a big drinker.
She got some IV antibiotics at the hospital but I was instructed to keep giving her the oral ones at home also. They gave her an anti-nausea med that lasts 24 hours so we thought she might have a better appetite. I tried every kind of people food that she likes, chicken, cottage cheese, rice, scrambled eggs, and she would only lick it off my fingers. I was so bummed out. Then my hubby grabs the dog food can out of the frig and offers that on his fingers, and guess what? She ate!!??? She's been ignoring her dog food for DAYS!!
But of course we were thrilled.
She was worn out by the stress of being at the vet so she is sound asleep. Another full day of fluids tomorrow, then they will recheck her kidney numbers and we'll see where we go. My vet said the fact that she has remained active and energetic is a good sign. Hoping to knock those numbers back down to where they were. I will update tomorrow again when I know more. Hopefully, good news.
This photo is how we want to see her again! It was taken in Feb.
Thank you all so much, as so many have said before me, it is with humble gratitude that I say Sheltie Nation folks are the best. It helps to feel supported.
Ally came home for overnight after a full day on IV fluid. She also had an abdominal ultrasound at my request. I was worried about a mucocele in her gallbladder, since we never identified a reason for her getting pancreatitis. I just wanted to know how many battles we were fighting. The good news is, gallbladder is normal, spleen, GI tract, liver normal for age, but kidneys are looking a little diseased. Lymph nodes all normal. I was quite relieved.
For some reason, Ally has always had slight kidney issues. Her BUN was elevated at 1.5 years old when she was spayed, and stayed that way all her life, finally creeping up very slowly. She never really showed clinical symptoms but always was a big drinker.
She got some IV antibiotics at the hospital but I was instructed to keep giving her the oral ones at home also. They gave her an anti-nausea med that lasts 24 hours so we thought she might have a better appetite. I tried every kind of people food that she likes, chicken, cottage cheese, rice, scrambled eggs, and she would only lick it off my fingers. I was so bummed out. Then my hubby grabs the dog food can out of the frig and offers that on his fingers, and guess what? She ate!!??? She's been ignoring her dog food for DAYS!!
But of course we were thrilled. She was worn out by the stress of being at the vet so she is sound asleep. Another full day of fluids tomorrow, then they will recheck her kidney numbers and we'll see where we go. My vet said the fact that she has remained active and energetic is a good sign. Hoping to knock those numbers back down to where they were. I will update tomorrow again when I know more. Hopefully, good news.

This photo is how we want to see her again! It was taken in Feb.

