Alternative to Raw AND RX Diet?

It depends on what you are trying to achieve, and what the underlying problem was to begin with.

The roll is no better than a decent kibble. So if the dog had problems on a decent kibble, the problems will probably continue with this. It is not a raw alternative, because the two things are not equal, it is a kibble alternative.

With that said, anything is better than prescription food, though the Purina foods are better than Science Diet, by a long shot.

The biggest problem with feeding raw is the mental block people have to get over. It took me 18 months to get over it, so I completely understand. If I had an immune-compromised dog, I would have done it long ago. I just didn't have quite enough motivation until I ran out of kibble, and couldn't get it.
 
I don't like that it has wheat in it, but it looks better than the purina prescription food.

Do you know what the protein %, fat %, and etc is? I think you need to look into that as well.

If I recall, Smudge's issue was that he kept throwing up food? Have you looking into California Natural? That's what I feed Bailey. She has a sensitive stomach. I tried so many different food and this was the only one that really helped her. All it has is lamb, rice and vitamins. They also have chicken & rice and Herring and Potato.
http://www.dogfoodanalysis.com/dog_food_reviews/showproduct.php?product=437&cat=all

I believe blue buffalo also has food for dog's with allergies or stomach sensitivities too.
 
It depends on what you are trying to achieve, and what the underlying problem was to begin with.

The roll is no better than a decent kibble. So if the dog had problems on a decent kibble, the problems will probably continue with this. It is not a raw alternative, because the two things are not equal, it is a kibble alternative.

With that said, anything is better than prescription food, though the Purina foods are better than Science Diet, by a long shot.

The biggest problem with feeding raw is the mental block people have to get over. It took me 18 months to get over it, so I completely understand. If I had an immune-compromised dog, I would have done it long ago. I just didn't have quite enough motivation until I ran out of kibble, and couldn't get it.

Agreed.. biggest hurdle was the ewwww factor.. I cut things to manageable level, portion it, freeze it in little baggies, take one out of the freezer into fridge every night, feed him next day when I come home from work. Don't even have to touch it again!
Have also started to cut out the kibble all together now (other than as training treats if I don't have cheese) ... YAY :)
No more indigestion factors, no more sickness, no more throwing up, nice breath and he's looking good.
Poor Smudge is a terribly finicky eater tho... I would hope raw food may entice him...?

I would try it, always worth giving it a try... it hasn't been 18 m onths for you yet, before you'll maybe try real raw, hahaha
 
Last edited:
It can also be used as a treat so I won't use it as a food. That way it does not go to waste.

I've said this before, but I guess nobody remembers? :confused2: My mom told me if I fed raw I had to do it outside. I'm not standing outside in the pouring rain, freezing cold, and extreme heat, and all the while fending off the neighbor's cat who manages to steal EVERYTHING that isn't tied down.

Toffee - not even sure raw would work, because he sometimes refuses chicken (used to be his favorite!), and hot dogs (yes, I know hot dogs are not part of a raw diet!). Doesn't matter if raw would work or not, because I'm not doing raw for the reasons stated above. I was just wondering if this would be a good alternative.

Question answered. :)
 
Last edited:
... I've said this before, but I guess nobody remembers? :confused2: My mom told me if I fed raw I had to do it outside. I'm not standing outside in the pouring rain, freezing cold, and extreme heat, and all the while fending off the neighbor's cat who manages to steal EVERYTHING that isn't tied down.

Toffee - not even sure raw would work, because he sometimes refuses chicken (used to be his favorite!), and hot dogs. Doesn't matter if raw would work or not, because I'm not doing raw for the reasons stated above. I was just wondering if this would be a good alternative.

Question answered. :)

awwww, I DID forget the Mother threats, lol
 
She is a good person though. :yes: I promise. If something ever happened to me I know she would take very, very good care of both Smudge and Fluffy.

hahaah
that is what counts!
I will forgive her for not letting you try out the raw diet on Toffee's twin ;)
 
I've said this before, but I guess nobody remembers? :confused2: My mom told me if I fed raw I had to do it outside. I'm not standing outside in the pouring rain, freezing cold, and extreme heat, and all the while fending off the neighbor's cat who manages to steal EVERYTHING that isn't tied down.

I hate germaphobes.

My mother fed my dogs out on the deck when she had mine (my father didn't). My dogs eat their food in less than a minute, so even if I fed them outside, it takes them longer to find the perfect place to poo than to eat. Could you offer to get him a special mat to eat on? Like a plastic place-mat. Then you could just wash it off, or put it in the dishwasher. The dogs learn quickly to eat on mats. Some people even use old towels, then just throw the towel in the wash once a week.
 
I hate germaphobes.

Hate is a strong word, and I do not hate my mother. :rolleyes2:

She is not moving from her position on the argument, and neither am I. I'm not saying raw will never be an option for me, but at this point in my life it is not.

Again, question answered. Thank you.
 
Back
Top