Anti-Cuddler?

Spitfire jumped up into the motorhome (impressive) and then onto the couch next to me as me and dad talked. Then laid his head on my leg to beg for petting :biggrin2:
 
You know I was rereading this thread and suddenly thought(during Cheryl's post regarding Koji) that the sheltie need to be near you but not on you was something I really about them. I guess it is because I am not all that touchy feely either and really have not felt bad about them not wanting to cuddle.:lol:

I am one of those people who can not stand(at all) Goldens because they all seem to have this overwhelming need to sit on you even if they don't know you. It is truely annoying to me. :mad::lol:
 
Last edited:
You know I was rereading this thread and suddenly thought(during Cheryl's post regarding Koji) that the sheltie need to be near you but not on you was something I really about them. I guess it is because I am not all that touchy feely either and really have not felt bad about them not wanting to cuddle.:lol:

I am one of those people who can not stand(at all) Goldens because they all seem to have this overwhelming need to sit on you even if you don't know you. It is truely annoying to me. :mad::lol:

lol
OMG so true, with Shelties when they wanna cuddle and say hello, it's a privilege! With Goldens or Labs... (as lovely as they can be) it's super annoying, haahahahahha
 
Danny has never cuddled on me but rather next to me. And sometimes when he feels too close to me he gives me a few good kicks with his back legs to move over! I laugh my head off when he does that. Sometimes he lays on his dad's chest when they are on the recliner. He's a daddy's boy. Danny follows me all over the house. He has to be in the same room with me. He hates it when I pick him up. I think he feels I may drop him. He likes his dad to pick him up though. He is not a lap dog - thank goodness because he is too big.:smile2:
 
Danny has never cuddled on me but rather next to me. And sometimes when he feels too close to me he gives me a few good kicks with his back legs to move over! I laugh my head off when he does that. Sometimes he lays on his dad's chest when they are on the recliner. He's a daddy's boy. Danny follows me all over the house. He has to be in the same room with me. He hates it when I pick him up. I think he feels I may drop him. He likes his dad to pick him up though. He is not a lap dog - thank goodness because he is too big.:smile2:

OMG the sheltie kick. I forgot about that! Ember is the master.:smile2:
 
I've always had really cuddly shelties. But they weren't that way when they were puppies and adolescents, they grew into it as they got older and didnt feel the need to be running around all the time.

I am a firm believer that if you can teach a dog to sit, drop and roll over you can certainly teach them to love to cuddle.

I also find the in-your-face goldies too much, they're too big and boisterous for me. But how can you resist a small fluffy body pressed up against your leg looking up at you with a big smile. Shelties have a much quieter way of seeking affection (when they aren't barking that is).
 
Perry is no genuine cuddler as well. He loves to snuggle at night when I'm about to fall asleep and in the morning when I wake up. Well, his way of waking me up is to jump on me and start licking my face:biggrin2: He wants to be next to me, but not necessarily on me. When I watch the TV, he usually lays next to the sofa or when I work at the computer, he sleeps under the table. I think we both like it this way.
 
Your sheltie is still young, there's a possibility he'll grow into cuddling.

Sadie wasn't cuddly at all till she was approx. 2 years old. She was affectionate and always wanted to be near you, but she preferred to sleep alone and tolerated being kissed and hugged. :smile2:

She is extremely snuggly now, loves hugs and kisses and sleeps cuddled up to me on the couch every night.

It all depends on your sheltie and his personality.

Toby, my rescue, loves to be kissed, hugged petted and generally loved up in all ways, but prefers sleeping by himself. Ginny likes to be touching me when she sleeps or right on top of me. She's not as fond of hugs and kisses but loves to be touched and petted. She's always been this way.
 
Back
Top