Any comments on Trifexis or Iverhart Max?

JeanieNDavis

Forums Novice
I just detest giving all these meds to kill different worms and fleas. They have to be harming our dogs to some degree. Trifexis is SOOO expensive. Then there is the problem of giving some of them to herding breeds. What does everyone recommend. It's so confusing.:hide
 
I have one Sheltie that is allergic to Trifexis. He's allergic to the Comfortis in it. He breaks out in hives.

We use Heartgard now and so far, no problems.
 
I have used Iverhart Max for years on my shelties & other dogs with no problem. I love that it does tapeworms since my guys like rabbit poop when they can get it! I have used Comfortis for fleas with no issues but have started using K9Advantix because it does fleas, ticks & mosquitoes. We have a small tick occurrence from time to time but do have mosquitoes in the summer. I'd rather a pill because sheltie hair & topicals are tough but whatever works.
I prefer doing 2 different meds in case a dog has a reaction I know what it's to.
 
I've used Trifexis since December on my female with no issues at all. It does NOT protect ticks or fleas though. Just the worms. I use scalibor flea and tick collar on her as well and haven't had any issues (but my pup did just have a tick, so i'm assuming her collar works) Trifexis is not expensive if bought in bulk. You can buy 6 months at a time. Individually it gets up there, my pup is in limbo of the puppy one and the 20-40lbs and it's about 20$ a month for a pill for him. Luckily, he should be 20 lbs the next time I need to get it. Also, on the topic of Trifexis being harmful.. it honestly depends on the dog. When I got my pup from my breeder/vet I asked her how early I could start him on heartworm medicine and if it was okay to give him Trifexis (since my female was already taking it) she said I can start asap on the pills and that Trifexis is really one of the few options remaining for shelties to take safely with no issues. That being said though, each dog is different and reacts differently to medicines.
 
I just detest giving all these meds to kill different worms and fleas. They have to be harming our dogs to some degree. Trifexis is SOOO expensive. Then there is the problem of giving some of them to herding breeds. What does everyone recommend. It's so confusing.:hide

I used Trifexis last year with no problems at all. I've started using it again this year too.

Just to be clear, Trifexis is NOT as expensive as it might first appear because its a flea and heart worm preventative in one.

If you look into pricing, it is quite a bit less expensive than purchasing flea preventative and heart worm preventative separately. Especially for those of us with multiple shelties.

Another FYI, Trifexis is basically the brands Comfortis (flea) and Interceptor (heart worm) in one pill. So although the brand name is relatively new, the active ingredients are not.

If your dog tolerates Comfortis and Interceptor together, it should have no problem with Trifexis.

If you want to use it but your dog won't eat it, you could always try pill pockets. One of my shelties this year refused to eat the Trifexis after eating it with no problems last year. A pill pocket changed that. :smile2:
 
Last edited:
I've used Trifexis since December on my female with no issues at all. It does NOT protect ticks or fleas though.

Trifexis does protect against fleas.

If you haven't already, you should check with your vet to see if its safe to give two flea preventatives at the same time, or else you risk overdosing your dog.

There is a collar on the market that is just for ticks that works really well. Its called the Preventic Collar.

http://www.virbacvet.com/products/detail/preventic-tick-collar-for-dogs
 
Missy has been taking Trifexis ever since I got her. She hasn't had any problems with it. I've found that buying it online from http://www.drsfostersmith.com/ is significantly cheaper than buying it from my vet. I told the receptionist that last time I was in there buying some. I was desperate, otherwise I would have waiting a week and bought it online. It irritated her.. but when it's marked up by 50%, that's a little ridiculous.

When I buy it online, it comes out to be a little less than $20 a month, and it covers fleas and heartworms. It doesn't take care of ticks, but so far we haven't had a problem with ticks.

We do have a dog park friend who is a standard poodle that does NOT tolerate Trifexis. Every time they tried to give it to him he vomited, so they have to use something else.. I'm not sure what they use.
 
I have used trifexis with my dogs in the past with no issues. I like that it's a heart worm AND flea preventative all in one. I have never used Ivermectin, since I have not yet tested my dogs for the MDR1 genetic mutation. All in all, I highly recommend trifexis!
 
My dog is on trifexis. When I got him I was given one tablet and told that is what he was on, so when he got his yearly shots and tags I bought another box, so far no problem. We have a mosquito issue here in southwest florida so since it covers heartworms I was happy. I use the preventic collar after being at the dog park and seeing someone pull a tick off their dogs head , we went back to the vet and got that collar asap. I am not someone who deals with bugs of any kind very well.
 
Back
Top