Any comments on Trifexis or Iverhart Max?

Trifexis does protect against fleas.

If you haven't already, you should check with your vet to see if its safe to give two flea preventatives at the same time, or else you risk overdosing your dog.

There is a collar on the market that is just for ticks that works really well. Its called the Preventic Collar.

http://www.virbacvet.com/products/detail/preventic-tick-collar-for-dogs
ooOOooo idk why I thought it didn't :lol: my vet is actually the one that recommended the double dosage. I use the Preventic collar on my pup though.
 
Buying Heart Worm Meds

Hi to all,
I have four rescued Shelties. Heart worm medication is expensive when you have several dogs.
My vet forces me to buy all medication from him. It costs $35.00 a month more to buy it from him than buying it from Drs. Foster and Smith catalog mail order. I got the vet to write one prescription but he said no more and Foster and Smith requires a perscription. $35.00 a month really adds up over time. Does anyone have a better way of buying Heartworm meds?
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Some possible choices are switching to the injection that lasts for six months, or even switching vets so you can get it cheaper mail order....
 
I have had a couple of experiences where vets are reluctant to ok meds they sell. One vet will price match to keep the business. Some will write you a prescription if asked (forced to) & you can send it in to the company. When I have a vet that is not keen on working with me I ask them why. Is it worth losing you as a client to get your money for that prescription? Here is what the AVMA says in their policy. Show it to your vet.

The AVMA encourages veterinarians to honor client requests to prescribe rather than dispense a drug when a veterinarian-client-patient relationship exists and the veterinarian has determined that the drug is medically necessary. If the veterinarian does not have a veterinarian-client-patient relationship or does not believe the drug is medically indicated, the veterinarian should not write the prescription.
If the veterinarian has determined that dispensing the drug from the clinic may be best for the patient or client, the veterinarian may wish to explain the reasons for this to the client. If, however, the client prefers a prescription to a dispensed drug, veterinarians should honor client requests to prescribe rather than dispense a drug. The client has the option of filling a prescription at any pharmacy.

Some state regulations require a veterinarian to provide a prescription rather than dispense a drug when requested by the client. None of these laws require the veterinarian to write a prescription in the absence of a veterinarian-client-patient relationship or if the drug is not medically indicated.
 
Hi to all,
I have four rescued Shelties. Heart worm medication is expensive when you have several dogs.
My vet forces me to buy all medication from him. It costs $35.00 a month more to buy it from him than buying it from Drs. Foster and Smith catalog mail order. I got the vet to write one prescription but he said no more and Foster and Smith requires a perscription. $35.00 a month really adds up over time. Does anyone have a better way of buying Heartworm meds?
I actually wrote a post about this a few months back of if I should buy online. Ironically, I still buy from the vet. My vet will write prescriptions, but charge $15 per prescriptions. An option might be seeing if you vet will charge you for the prescription versus flat out no. Vets don't like writing prescriptions because they lose money in the end from it. Imagine if everyone bought their medicine online.. businesses would crash. For me, Trifexis online would save me about $5 if that, but it's not worth it when adding in everything. At least this way my vets know my dog has been taking Trifexis and it says it on their chart.
 
I bought some at the vets today, the vets highly remcommend it. They even gave me some paperwork to receive a $25 rebate. That was pretty darn neat.
 
I bought some at the vets today, the vets highly remcommend it. They even gave me some paperwork to receive a $25 rebate. That was pretty darn neat.
If you're talking about Trifexis, I buy it 6 months at a time and get $10 rebate. $25 is for a year supply. Just be patient with the rebate, I did my rebate info back in October then got an e-mail in Dec. that they processed it and then got the actual rebate in Feb. Just so you know, it takes forever..
 
Back
Top