Bailey's Weight

I just spoke to the vet. She still thinks her diarrhea is a dietary issue. She's giving me science diet i/d canned food now. One can a day fed over 3 meals. No more rice and chicken. Nothing else. Still give her the vitamin C pill for her uti/vaginitis and she prescribed metro(something) for the diarrhea. She said her BM's will probably be loose tomorrow. Saturday she probably won't have a BM and to call her Monday to see how she's doing.

She did gain some weight, which is great. She was 7.13lbs on monday and now weighed 8.4lbs. Much better than her gaining .3 ounces in two weeks.

I'm hoping this works!

This sounds like a good plan. The vet has probably given you metronidazole, which is also known as Flagyl. It's a very strong drug with antibiotic properties but it will stop diarrhea in its tracks. That is what Pixie was on for such a long time when she was sick. The ID will help too, even though it might not have the ingredients you want. I would not give her anything else at this point, but maybe phase back in the Vibrant Pets once she seems OK because that also has probiotics in it which will help her system. Glad she is gaining weight and it sounds like you are making progress!
 
How long have you had her on each food?
I believe Wellness is known for causing loose stool in some dogs so I don't doubt that.

I got her the beginning of August. I forgot what the breeder had her on, but after two weeks, I switched her to wellness. She was on wellness for about 6 weeks. She never really had solid stool. Always a little loose, but nothing to be concerned about. Then in early October, she started getting very loose stool. I put her on chicken and rice for a few days. When her stool started getting solid, I tried Innova, thinking maybe it was the wellness. That didn't work either and it just got worse, so I took her to the vet
 
From what I have read in this thread, this is my recommendation,
grain free kibble with 3/4 of a tablespoon of pumpkin twice a day over the kibble.
If your going to do what the vet says regarding diet, go ahead. Just keep us updated. It also wouldn't hurt if you posted some pictures of her. :wink2:

I'm going to do what the vet says for now. Once she has normal stool, I'll wait a month and then transition her to something better.

Here's a picture from two weeks ago:
http://www.facebook.com/pages/State...ref=ts#/photo.php?pid=3422867&id=149028321525
 
She is darling!! :biggrin2: What a sweet face. Thanks for sharing the photo. Fingers are crossed for her...
 
that is certainly good news about her gaining weight.Sounds like the vet has a good plan for her and her diet. Glad to hear she was put on Flagyl,it will help.

Thanks for the update!! And her picture is darling~
 
Been there, done that....somewhat

Ember is also 22 weeks old. We spent 2 months working through the loose stool issue. She didn't have a UTI though. Like you, I wanted her on a high quality diet, but it wasn't working. Our vet suggested we try either chicken and rice or the Science Diet I/D. I opted for the chicken and rice because I HATED the I/D ingredients! Chicken and rice did no good after several days. Out of desperation I got the I/D. Dummy me was so desperate to get something besides that junk in her that I added a few pieces of kibble....loose stools continued. FINALLY, I tried the I/D only and it did the trick after a few days. I kept her on only I/D for 2 weeks then I started VERY gradually adding Innova Puppy Kibble (seriously like two pieces in the first meal and adding an additional two pieces with each meal thereafter). She has been fine since, except if we forget the other dogs or cat food is down and she gets some, she has the loose stools for a day. I've come to the conclusion she just has a very delicate digestive system. Maybe your pup is the same way. I know that you have the UTI issue though that may be the culprit. Best of luck and keep us posted!
 
Thanks for all the support everyone! It really helps to have a place to talk about this. :smile2:

Embersmom, is your pup on the canned i/d or kibble?
 
Ember is back on the kibble after a very slow transition off the i/d and doing fine. I just really suggest ONLY feeding the i/d for at least a week after the stools are normal. I got to anxious to add kibble, and when I did we went backwards. I think we would have gotten through it much quicker if I was more consistant. Live and learn I guess. Good luck!
 
Back
Top