Bailey's Weight

For what it's worth, when we fed ID I tried both the canned and the dry kibble. I found the kibble to be more cost effective and easier to use than the canned, since the canned is harder and tougher to mush than most canned foods. It's worth buying a 5 lb bag of the kibble ID, I think, and keeping her on it for that length of time. When you are ready to transition her, you can always mix the next food easily with kibble.

BTW when we did transition off the ID after several months, I put her on California Natural Chicken and Rice after doing extensive research. It's one of the foods that has limited ingredients which seems to be a factor in pups who have gastric issues. It's an Innova product and really worked well for Pixie and she stayed on that for nearly two years.
 
Sorry. I mis-read the question. She was on the canned. The kibble wasn't offered to me, so I didn't even know it was available. It IS hard to mush up like Ann said, but Ember didn't mind. When I transitioned, I just threw in the pieces of kibble, didn't really mix it. Ember didn't mind, but she is FAR from a picky eater!
 
On Monday, the vet gave me the i/d kibble, but it didn't work. So on Thursday, the vet gave me the canned version and medicine. I'm hoping this will work.

Ann, I will look into California Natural Chicken and Rice. I'm not switching her food until she has normal stool and the vet says it's okay.


I didn't mush up her food. Was I supposed to? I put 1/3 of the can food in her food bowl and she ate it right up.
 
You don't have to mush it up, I have just always found it a pain to scoop out of the can once it's been refrigerated. And it's so hard that I usually mix a bit of warm water in with it. But it's certainly not necessary -- just me being picky!

I wouldn't be in a hurry to transition her even after her stools are solid. I'd give her a good few weeks to make sure she is A-ok before making any changes, and before you do the food, I'd reintroduce the Vibrant Pets. That way, you'll know what, if anything, causes a problem for her.
 
I know this food isn't the best, but I'm def not in a hurry to switch. The most important thing right now is for Bailey to have normal stool. If this food works, then I will stick with it for a few weeks or a month or two.

The good new is....she had a normal BM this morning!!! She did try to poop in the kitchen, but I got her outside just in time.

Anyone have any recommendations for a treat? I was thinking of cutting up a carrot. She's had a lot of accidents from all this and I want to start getting her back into training mode.
 
Great news!!! gosh we have been thinking of her every day,and hoping she gets on the right track soon.

I have no thoughts about the treats for potty outside.But I would guess any thing that really you can say is a high reward treat,one that you do not give often.

When Trapp does potty outside,I basically did a happy dance & praised him,like over the top,really got excited..he knew he did something REALLY good,because of the sound of my voice.

I have not had an accident going on two weeks with him,he is now going to the door,and with a bark that is very differant than his other barks.

But your little one has had a tough go of things.They are smart dogs,it will not take her long,I'm sure to get back on track.

I will tell you catching her in the act,and scooping her up,and placing her outside.. and say "potty here" or what ever your choice of words...was a step in the right direction for sure.

Sending big sheltie hugs that she continues to improve!
 
Great news! Sounds like things are looking up.

I give Bentley carrots every once in a while as a treat, and he loves them. It's good, too, because he takes his time chomping it up (even if it's just a small piece).
 
I know this food isn't the best, but I'm def not in a hurry to switch. The most important thing right now is for Bailey to have normal stool. If this food works, then I will stick with it for a few weeks or a month or two.

The good new is....she had a normal BM this morning!!! She did try to poop in the kitchen, but I got her outside just in time.

Anyone have any recommendations for a treat? I was thinking of cutting up a carrot. She's had a lot of accidents from all this and I want to start getting her back into training mode.

I'd be careful of giving her vegetables until you know you have her system sorted out. I found when I went through this with Pix that veggies tended to make her runny again. I found some treats at Drs. Foster and Smith that are pumpkin based with very few other ingredients and are high quality. You'd have to order them, but you get a lot and they'd last you a while. These were all I gave Pixie for a year. Here's the links:
http://www.drsfostersmith.com/product/prod_display.cfm?pcatid=854
http://www.drsfostersmith.com/product/prod_display.cfm?pcatid=12530

Other than that, if you still have the dry ID kibble, give her a kibble or two as a treat. I keep a little dish of kibble by the door and when they come in from outside runs they each get a piece as a treat. They don't know the difference and are just as happy with it. For now, I'd be really careful about what you give her across the board. If things go well for a week or two, you can probably ease up a bit.

So glad to hear this morning's good report!! Yay Bailey!
 
I have plenty of kibble i/d. I think that's a great idea. I'll even cut them into halves, so she won't be eating as many. Thanks!
 
You don't have to mush it up, I have just always found it a pain to scoop out of the can once it's been refrigerated. And it's so hard that I usually mix a bit of warm water in with it. But it's certainly not necessary -- just me being picky!

I wouldn't be in a hurry to transition her even after her stools are solid. I'd give her a good few weeks to make sure she is A-ok before making any changes, and before you do the food, I'd reintroduce the Vibrant Pets. That way, you'll know what, if anything, causes a problem for her.

Totally agree here! If you want to reintroduce Vibrant Pets sooner rather than later, make that your next step once everything else is stabilized. And then wait a couple of weeks before you make any other changes.
 
Back
Top