DianeP
Forums Enthusiast
We all know shelties love to bark. Does yours bark at you for attention when there’s nothing going on? You know, like, “You’re just sitting there, so PAY ATTENTION TO ME!!” If so, how do you respond?
Follow along with the video below to see how to install our site as a web app on your home screen.
Note: This feature may not be available in some browsers.
Faith is my alarm barker for sure. Elijah is fairly quiet for a Sheltie. I can't remember any of our dogs barking at us for no reason, but we get THE LOOK quite often!! Or a toy dropped on our feet. 

- when I am inside and she is outside in the garden
-So cuteThey just look at them and then up at me as if to say "what is their problem?"

Mindy would go insane if she could see one of us driving around on a lawn mower. Fortunately, she can’t see any moving cars from our condo. She is a car chaser out in public. We can only get within about 40 feet of a fast moving car before she barks and lunges. We’ve improved though, it used to be worse. Now I can get her attention by running the other way and throwing treats or asking her for jump touches. And, she can now handle slow moving vehicles (under 10 miles an hour).Brodie goes NUTS barking at cars, oh my, the drama that ensues when I even go move my truck out to the road. Or I sit on the big orange noisy thing that I drive around on the lawn - he feels he needs to attack it! Kooper sits on the top of hubby's chair by the window and Brodie sits in the chair and they stare out the window looking for something to bark at.
But weirdly, since lockdown, I have been VERY successful teaching him to sit and wait. He won't do it for hubby, but I no longer have to deal with the nutso maniac who appears when I head to Koopers kennel in the morning. He sits and waits, sometimes sassing me a bit, but waits for me to put Kooper's leash on before attacking Kooper and getting in his morning 'herd' moments. I can also get him to sit and wait when someone comes to the door. Or sit and wait to leave the house. But he doesn't do it for everyone - apparently I mean business when I say it.