Black parents producing brown puppies

Yes, it would be fairly rare to get two B/bs in a mating pair. The bad thing is, if a dog has got that recessive, there's really no way to tell, and you could be spreading the darned thing around without knowing it.

And I want to know where it came from, hence the 3 generation pedigree :)
 
I have been informed about a gene/color called "Maltese blue". In some, the shelties present a slate color, and in others, they appear chocolate colored (not liver). Genetically, the dog is black, but physically, it looks sable.
Rare. Nothing genetically wrong with the dog. Perfectly healthy, just brown instead of black. :confused2:

Thank you all for your feedback!
 
I have been informed about a gene/color called "Maltese blue". In some, the shelties present a slate color, and in others, they appear chocolate colored (not liver). Genetically, the dog is black, but physically, it looks sable.
Rare. Nothing genetically wrong with the dog. Perfectly healthy, just brown instead of black. :confused2:

Thank you all for your feedback!

That sounds like the B locus.
 
Here is a link to my "heart dog" Blue, the breeder said he was a sable, but his colouring was more of a brown colour.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/gja6ctrgwhf547y/blue.jpg

Unless my monitor is really off, I would say he's a blue merle. Gray, white, and tan - he just has more tan coloring than a lot of the blue merles I've seen. It's my understanding that sable merles only have some dilution of black to blueish coloring. Your pup appears to have a significant amount of blue/gray.

Clantyre, what say you?
 
I saw a Sheltie with similar coloring at an agility trial lately. The handler insisted it was a Blue Merle but the local breeders on site and I believed it was a Sable Merle.

I'm curious what some of the breeders on the forums think.
 
The 2 bottom photos are misleading - he really was a "mocha" sort of colour with some grey as he got older. Everywhere I took him, people commented how unusual his colour was. My other sheltie, dallas was a blue merle. Unfortunately I didn't take great photos back then - but in this collage the top photo where my son Ryan ( now 25) is holding them both you can see how his top blended into the sable colour. It really wasn't grey, but more like a chocolate brown.


https://www.dropbox.com/s/dq9jqfsrdwu1xdy/Blue 2.jpg
 
That sounds like the B locus.

Not quite. The "Maltese" is simply an overall dilution gene. We think it's the same as what makes black poodles "Blue" and dilutes brown Border Collies to "Lilac". It's recessive, obviously. There have been a few known ones, like CH Largo Meet Joe Black.
 
Back
Top