Bloody diarrhea then throwing up

danisgoat

Moderator
I am going to start back a couple of days so you all can get the whole picture.

Back to Monday, I noticed that Dandie seemed like she may have been a little constipated, squatting with nothing coming out. Then she proceeded to wipe her butt on the ground. I immediately thought she probably has worms, and put it into the back of my mind to call the vet about it.

Back to Wed. we took our normal 3 mile walk where she always goes to the bathroom. She went, and it was looser than normal, maybe a little lighter colored, and was covered in a nasty mucusy slime. I again assumed parasites. My mom was going to the vet on Friday with her dog, so I was going to see if she could pick up some dewormer for me, and bring a sample. I decided that on Thursday or Friday I would get a stool sample for her to bring.

Last night around 6PM, Dandie had diarrhea in the kitchen that was dark colored and had red blood in it and was very mucusy.

I called our vet and left a message. He called back around 8PM and asked some basic questions like how were her gums (they are red) and how she was acting (perfectly normal). He told me to not feed her and he made an appointment for me to come in today at 3PM. He wants me to bring in a stool sample. She has yet to go again. Hopefully, she will have a bowel movement sometime in the next 5 hours.

At 12:30 in the night last night, she started barking in her crate. I came down and let her out. She did nothing outside. When she came back in, she vomited. The vomit was all mucus that was orangey in color and had little red "blood clot" looking things in it. UGH. I got a little panicky.

I called the 24 hour hospital to see if they thought I should bring her in then. Agian, her gums look fine, she is acting fine, and she is jumping up, so I don't think her gut is in a lot of pain. The 24 hour hospital, that has a reputation of being money hungry, said that it was most likely not an emergency and that getting her in to see my vet is probably fine.

So....ease my mind. Is this really serious? Is there something I should be looking for? Would you call your vet to get her in sooner than 3PM?

I am usually so decisive and I feel like I can't make a decision for my life right now. Maybe since I didn't sleep last night, worrying.

Danielle
 
I'm so sorry to hear about Dandie! I know how scary the runs/gurks can be. I do think as long as you're not feeding her that she'll be OK until you see the vet this afternoon.

Are you able to give her water? You don't want her to get dehydrated. It might also be worth a call to your vet this morning just to update them on last night and see if they want her earlier. Just in case.

She probably just got into something, or picked up a doggie virus, and some meds will help. But I feel your pain. I'd be the same way. Sending Dandie pats and good thoughts...let us know what happens!
 
I would call the vet, as much for my own peace of mind as anything else. If they think it's serious, they will find a way to see her earlier than 3pm.

You're such a good (kid and dog) mom!
 
Oh no! Poor Dandie :(

This sounds very similar to the virus Bailey had last year. It is very scary to see blood in your dog's stool! I'm glad Dandie is at least acting normal. That is a good sign. Bailey wasn't acting herself. She looked like she was going to take her last breath any minute. It was terrifying.

If Dandie starts to act sick, I'd bring her in asap. If you're really concerned, it wouldn't hurt to call your vet, give them an update and see if you can bring her in before 3.

If your vet suspects a virus, I would ask for some medicine for Chloe as well. Just to have in case she starts to have the same symptoms. When Bailey was sick, a few days later Pebbles was symptomatic and a few days after that Cali started to get sick as well.

I hope Dandie feels better soon! Keep us updated on what the vet says.
 
Thanks everyone for your support. It is great to have a place to put down my thoughts and get it all straight. You all are great.

OK...update.

I took Dandie out again and she had a bowel movement. It was really small, but not completely watery, just soft and mucusy. Much better than last night. It actually had form. Their was a little bit of blood noticeable, but not much. I collected the sample for the vet visit.

I called the vet office and my vet is in surgery. After surgeries this morning, he has a couple of Mobile visits and then I am his first visit for the afternoon at the office. They said come in around 2:30 and maybe I can get in a bit earlier. I gave the vet tech her update, and she really doesn't think that it is an emergency.

Here is a video I took after Dandie had her bowel movement. As you can see, she really isn't behaving like a sick dog. And yes, that is snow. Happy April Fools Day :(

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gyRmugg_P3E
 
I'm sure your vet will figure it out today, she seems fine otherwise and having fun in the April Fool's snow we had out this way today. Keeping you all in my thoughts and prayers. Feel better Dandie!!!! :o
 
Poor girl! (and poor you - doggie sickness is never fun.) I bet the vet will figure it out, though - it's a great sign that she's acting like nothing's wrong.
 
Love the video of Dandie and Chloe having a last romp in the snow -- at least we hope it's your last snow for this season. :no:

I agree, if she's this active, probably nothing that serious, but still need to see the vet, since something is obviously upsetting her tummy, and if it's contagious, you need to get it stopped before everyone is sick.
 
I was told that seing blood in stool is far more common in dogs and less dramatic than in humans, what will be critical care patient for humans usually case of viral upset for doggy. Hoping that it is minor upset for Dandie. Same thinking here - if dog looks fine and no behavior/ vigor change I would not rush to emergency hospital.
 
Dani, I am just reading this thread. Hopefully you have already been in to see the vet and he has concluded that it was something minor.

Please let us know how Dandie is doing!! I'm sending good thoughts your way.
 
Back
Top