Blowing coat?!?

Megansmom

Forums Sage
I am still new to the world of being owned by a Sheltie and keep hearing the term, "when they blow their coat"! What does that mean, look like and at what age does it start? :biggrin2:
 
Oh, trust me, when they are blowing coat, you'll KNOW!

You'll have fur bunnies in every corner of your house and all over couches, chairs, clothing!

Some dogs blow big time, others not so much! I'm thankful that (so far) mine appear to be non-blowers.

Normally happens 1-2 times per year (spring and fall - as they prepare for the next climate season), but different with bitches and dogs. Bitches will blow their coat (I think?) when they come off heat and after birthing pups.

Some dogs, like mine, don't really blow at all, but when you pet them, you realize that their butt has just grown to gargantuan size, and their undercoat needs a major brush out!
 
The undercoat is shred all at once. It looks like clumps of fur coming though the guard hairs(outercoat) If you brush them it comes out really easy.

Males and spayed females tend to blow the coat once a year in either the fall or spring. Unspayed girls twice a year, after a heat cycle,after a litter, or if you just spent a lot of money entering a show.:wink2:
 
Oh, trust me, when they are blowing coat, you'll KNOW!

You'll have fur bunnies in every corner of your house and all over couches, chairs, clothing!

Some dogs blow big time, others not so much! I'm thankful that (so far) mine appear to be non-blowers.

Normally happens 1-2 times per year (spring and fall - as they prepare for the next climate season), but different with bitches and dogs. Bitches will blow their coat (I think?) when they come off heat and after birthing pups.

Some dogs, like mine, don't really blow at all, but when you pet them, you realize that their butt has just grown to gargantuan size, and their undercoat needs a major brush out!



Ahhh, I see, so it's basically a major shedding deal!? I thought it meant that their coat gets all funky, sticks out everywhere and every which way. Kinda like Alfalfa and Don King at once, ha ha!
 
I forgot puppies blow their coat around 9-12months. Part of the yearling yucks. Diva lost hers near the end of Sept and is just getting it back.
 
Last edited:
I forgot puppies blow their coat around 9-12months. Part of the yearling yucks. Diva lost hers near the end of Sept and is just getting a back.



Being that we live in warm, muggy climate usually year around, it will be interesting to see what Megan's coat does!
 
furminator

Can the furminator be ever so gently used on an 18 week old puppy? I THINK I might have caused a tiny little thin spot, so I was just curious:uhoh:
 
Back
Top