Blowing coat?!?

Can the furminator be ever so gently used on an 18 week old puppy? I THINK I might have caused a tiny little thin spot, so I was just curious:uhoh:

Yes though shouldn't be necessary with an 18 week old. A good comb, slicker, and pin brush should be sufficient. And spritz with water or conditioner first to reduce breakage.

It's a great tool, but I would limit it when you've got big undercoat build up - not likely with an 18 week old puppy. And when you do decide to use it, go gently

Whatever you do, do not be as aggressive with the furminator as they are in the infomercials.
 
Yes though shouldn't be necessary with an 18 week old. A good comb, slicker, and pin brush should be sufficient. And spritz with water or conditioner first to reduce breakage.

It's a great tool, but I would limit it when you've got big undercoat build up - not likely with an 18 week old puppy. And when you do decide to use it, go gently

Whatever you do, do not be as aggressive with the furminator as they are in the infomercials.



Ty, excellent sugg with the water/conditioner spritz first. I thought I was going gentle enough, but I guess not:o. Unless the little spot on her spine are her coat getting ready to grow in and she's getting some waves or cowlicks?? Honestly, I did the same thing to one of my cats on accident, of course the hair grows back in, but geeze!

Okay, now I'm worried, what did I do to my poor dog:eek2:
 
Last edited:
I forgot puppies blow their coat around 9-12months. Part of the yearling yucks. Diva lost hers near the end of Sept and is just getting it back.
Tell me about it! Phebe is 10 months and I feel like I'm brushing and vacuuming constantly. This coat thang really blows sometimes.
 
Tell me about it! Phebe is 10 months and I feel like I'm brushing and vacuuming constantly. This coat thang really blows sometimes.



Does Phebe sit still for you long enough to brush her? Sheesh, I have to bribe Megan with a "no no" treat or hold her to brush her:o
 
Does Phebe sit still for you long enough to brush her? Sheesh, I have to bribe Megan with a "no no" treat or hold her to brush her:o
She will sit still after I get my hands on her. :lol: When she sees the brush, she likes to play a little game of tag before we start. After I get started she really doesn't mind and prefers to stand while I spritz, brush and powder. She gets a treat after I'm done. I was just looking at her nails this afternoon -- time for a little snip-snip tomorrow. :razz::razz:
 
She will sit still after I get my hands on her. :lol: When she sees the brush, she likes to play a little game of tag before we start. After I get started she really doesn't mind and prefers to stand while I spritz, brush and powder. She gets a treat after I'm done. I was just looking at her nails this afternoon -- time for a little snip-snip tomorrow. :razz::razz:



Megan likes to play with the brush before, during and after grooming, which is kind of a pain!! She's still young, but it may be one of her quirks, not liking to be brushed:eek2:
 
Have you taught her a settle yet. Best thing for line brushing. They lay flat on their side so nice. Just keep at it she learn.
 
Last edited:
She will sit still after I get my hands on her. :lol: When she sees the brush, she likes to play a little game of tag before we start. After I get started she really doesn't mind and prefers to stand while I spritz, brush and powder. She gets a treat after I'm done. I was just looking at her nails this afternoon -- time for a little snip-snip tomorrow. :razz::razz:

Miss Phebe
You mentioned powder,what is it you use? Is it a bit of baby power for the fine hairs around the ears?

Also since I'm asking about a powder,what exactly is chalk used for? The gentleman that I ordered detachol,(back when I thought I was going to attempt gluing ears) also sells chalk.
 
Back
Top