Cassie's misfortune with grooming :(

I am so sorry that happened, and that is exactly why I do my two. My concern they would take their coat down to nothing, or burn their butt with the razor, which happened to my sister's dog. Hopefully your new groomer will work out for you, and your pal.
 
I am so sorry that happened, and that is exactly why I do my two. My concern they would take their coat down to nothing, or burn their butt with the razor, which happened to my sister's dog. Hopefully your new groomer will work out for you, and your pal.

OMG Sable... It sounds like you have a lousy groomer. :( Did you have different groomer every time, or the same one?

I don't blame you for "firing" them. You will do the best job ever. We don't live in the house, our space is limited, no basement etc. But like I said earlier, so far we have been lucky with that salon. But one time screw-up is too many. Cassie was in too much distress. I am also hopeful a mobile lady will be good. :yes:

Thank you for your kind thoughts. :)


Many hugs ...
Laura.
 


OMG Sable... It sounds like you have a lousy groomer. :( Did you have different groomer every time, or the same one?

I don't blame you for "firing" them. You will do the best job ever. We don't live in the house, our space is limited, no basement etc. But like I said earlier, so far we have been lucky with that salon. But one time screw-up is too many. Cassie was in too much distress. I am also hopeful a mobile lady will be good. :yes:

Thank you for your kind thoughts. :)


Many hugs ...
Laura.


Those are just examples what has been in my area, and that is why I don't let a groomer around here touch them. I groom them, its not perfect, but they have their coat, like my sister's dog, she went through absolute h$$$.
He is a little Lhasa Apso, ohhhh his butt was really razor burnt. Then it cost her money to clean it all up, along with the worry. The poor little guy was hurting so bad.

I swear the groomers have no clue about shelties, and neither do some of the people who own them around here. In fact the owners don't brush them as the vet tech told me, my vets have to shave them down. They get really upset with those owners. I do have a shedding comb, regular doggie comb, pin brush, but what really works for me to get alot of that coat off is my rake. Like Hopeshelties stated a bath really finishes off that shedding, they do shed quicker with that second coat.

I feel so bad what happened to Cassie (it can happen), but they should be very careful. What you might want to do is clean that area up with some seabreeze (its an astrigent) and spray bitter apple on her feet so she doesn't chew them. I know Cassie has to be miserable, and so are you, its really a tormenting situation.
 
maybe I take this too personal but....

its standard procedure to shave a dogs paw pads close. very close.
she could had maybe burned the paws with hot blades, you really have to make sure the blades are cool because paws are sensitive. BUT sometimes a rare dog can get irritated by clippers and its nothing that a groomer did wrong. I am not sure that what happened makes her a "lousy" groomer. the infection was more than likely caused by her chewing at her feet.

and about clipping black nails....
I dont care if you take your dog to the #1 groomer in the whole wide world, nails can still get quicked. I trim about 8 sets of nails daily, and I quick a probably a couple of dogs a week. It can happen no matter how careful you are. Black nails are a pain in the butt!

Where I live, we shave MOST of the shelties. They are usually outside dogs, not brushed, or owners say they are hot and shed too much. I mean shave the dogs... the white fur will have pink skin showing underneath it its so short. That is how they like it, and there is no way you can convince most people that is not good for a dog.
And those dogs that do come in, and the owners do not want them to have a hair cut still have to have most all of their pants shaved to the skin because of sever matting.

I promise not all groomers are the devil.
 
shaving Shelties? *shiver*

ruckus lover.. oh wow! I am glad I live in colder part of the world, lol
Nobody SHAVES a Sheltie around here!

Poor Toffee doesn't have a thick coat, lol, and I have been waiting for it for so long, I would just about DIE if his first grooming is turning out like that... actually I had kind of decided to do myself until now... I think I found a dog groomer I trust... but for his first time she better be gentle... and gives him a good experience or she'll never see him again!
lol
 
Scary for me as well! I am about to start having my pup go to a (recommended) groomer. I do not have the facitities to do it as she is getting too big for my sink!
 
This is why I'm glad that I am getting a grooming table for Christmas. Smudge does need to have his pants thinned out though. It's to the point that it's so thick I can't get any kind of brush through it no matter how much Ice on Ice I spray. :rolleyes2: Nobody around here will suggest one for me so I'm thinking of emailing the sheltie breeder for the local AKC to ask her if she can give me the name of a good groomer.

I understand about cutting the nails to the quick. I'll be the first to raise my hand and admit that I've done that to poor Smudge. Maybe the infection was an accident to, but I wouldn't go back to that groomer.
 
maybe I take this too personal but....

its standard procedure to shave a dogs paw pads close. very close.
she could had maybe burned the paws with hot blades, you really have to make sure the blades are cool because paws are sensitive. BUT sometimes a rare dog can get irritated by clippers and its nothing that a groomer did wrong. I am not sure that what happened makes her a "lousy" groomer. the infection was more than likely caused by her chewing at her feet.

and about clipping black nails....
I dont care if you take your dog to the #1 groomer in the whole wide world, nails can still get quicked. I trim about 8 sets of nails daily, and I quick a probably a couple of dogs a week. It can happen no matter how careful you are. Black nails are a pain in the butt!

Where I live, we shave MOST of the shelties. They are usually outside dogs, not brushed, or owners say they are hot and shed too much. I mean shave the dogs... the white fur will have pink skin showing underneath it its so short. That is how they like it, and there is no way you can convince most people that is not good for a dog.
And those dogs that do come in, and the owners do not want them to have a hair cut still have to have most all of their pants shaved to the skin because of sever matting.

I promise not all groomers are the devil.

Hi, ... about your statement "..its standard procedure to shave a dogs paw pads close. very close ..". A point I want to make is that a dog should NOT be on 2 different medicines, including antibiotic. Still in my opinion a groomer has done something wrong that caused a huge distress for Cassie. Of course it bothered her a great deal and dogs are dogs - they lick and chew a place that disturbs them. If a doctor told me to just use a medicated shampoo that would be a different story. :yes:
 
I understand about cutting the nails to the quick. I'll be the first to raise my hand and admit that I've done that to poor Smudge. Maybe the infection was an accident to, but I wouldn't go back to that groomer.

This is precisely why I've switched to the Dremmel Stylus! And boy, do I every love this baby! So much more efficient than the Pedicure...small in the hand and easy to turn this way and that, to get all angles of the nail.

I read that if you apply hemmoroid cream to the nails before trimming, it helps push the quick back so you can trim closer. I've not actually tried it myself yet, so I don't know if its true!
 
Aw, big hugs to Cassie. The poor thing.

I have one grooming story and that was enough for me. My mom had a referral for our Yorkie. We took him there, dropped him off for the day and picked him up. He came back.......with laryngitis and razor cut scrotum. Yup. They nicked him in the his privates. Gawd I hope they truly aren't as sensitive as humans. He was cut up everywhere and all they really did was shave him down.

So when I got my first dog, a Sheltie. I bought Sheltie Talk and learned my grooming from that. Miko never looked like he belonged in a show ring, but he was trimmed up. I still do all the grooming myself. And as I'm sure you all know, it can take hours for one dog.

Here's hoping the next person is more sensitive. Now I'm scared to use a razor on my pups feet.
 
Back
Top