Thanks so much for the suggestions everyone!
Toffee’s Mom - I’m going to take your suggestion, and bring the training down to 5-10 minutes. I’m also going to try using a ball - he likes to tug, but he LOVES his ball, so that might be a good reward for him. I also think you’re right about the confidence - we’re both still learning, and he is still very young (14.5 months).
Hurtseverywhere - thanks for the idea on the training sequence - I’m going to give it a try.
Sheltie Che - Fortunately I’m not looking for “sexy” answers, but unfortunately I’m not a huge fan of Susan Garrett

. She has some good ideas - I liked parts of both Crate Games and the 2 x 2 weaves, and adapted other parts to make them work for my dog. I find that a lot of her training methods aren’t really effective for my pup. Different dogs = different training styles

.
Sharon - Check out Debbie Wheeler as well - I love a lot of her training methods.
Ortegah - I agree, but unfortunately the classes in the area don’t meet either my dog’s or my training needs. I’m hoping that as the weather warms up, I’ll meet more people out at the agility yard and find some partners to train with.
Corginam - I tried only rewarding him for the fast runs, but he quickly became disinterested. I tried to check out your video, but the computer froze so I’ll check it out later. Thanks for attaching the visual!
Lunatic Face - thanks for attaching Silvia Trkman’s homepage - I hadn’t heard of her, but I completely agree with her training statements. I’m definitely going to do some more research on her
Phebe*DD - Thanks for attaching the site - I had never heard of bowwowflix! What a great resource!
HopeShelties - Thanks for all of the suggestions - I think your ideas will put us on the right path.
Thanks again everyone - I’ll update soon