Damn those Sheltie Pants!

TaraLynn

Forums Enthusiast
Caliber has a huge case of Sheltie Pants...aka FuzzButt. I never noticed up until about a week ago how hugely fuzzy they are!! What do you guys recommend for it? Do I leave it...should I take him to a groomer to get it clipped down? I mean, it doesn't bother me brushing it all out everyday...it's never matted or tangled. What does everyone else do about the fuzzbutt?
 
I trim the pants to even them up and trim around the anus (when they let me). My male has a huge fluff butt so during summer I shorten it a bit otherwise he picks up grass seeds and burrs. I also use baby oil or vaseline hair oil when we go bushwalking - it helps stop the burrs and makes the seeds he collects easier to get out (also put it on his mane).

Sometimes I will also get a pair of thinning scissors to my males pants and when I wash I give the pants extra oil and cream so it doesnt go static (very dry air here). I have the Sheltie Guide to Grooming and that gives good guidance for clipping the bum - and where to clip if you are looking for a particular look (eg my males tail often gets lost in the pants).

If you dont mind brushing I wouldnt bother - maybe just straighten the straggly bits at the edge.

And do post a pic of his fluffy butt - we had an earlier thread on this, those fluffy butts are a sheltie trademark!
 
haha yes, I have been waiting for more pictures...to make a little funny video, but - nothin' yet! I'll see if I can't get a good photo in the next few days. I do like the idea you have for static tho...that's one thing that bothers me! I can't STAND static in hair! Whether it's mine or his, or anyone's...it's one of those weird feelings that rubs you the wrong way! So - what kind of oil/cream do you use to prevent that? I would assume it would have to be something that is ok for them to lick...I could see him licking away at it lol...I would like to thin out the pants a bit tho...now that you mention the tail getting lost in the pants...I love his big bushy tail, and it would look so much nicer if it wasn't lost :( I have a pair of thinning sheers, and I did a pretty good job on my sisters Golden Retriever...maybe I'll give it a whirl!
 
my altered male has the worse pair of pants Ive ever seen!! :eek2: His behind is totally unruley! I end up thinning them up and making them shorter so it looks neater and then because for some reason his fur gets very dry I use a product called Silk Spirits by Chris Christensen, just rub a dime size into your palm of your hand and than work into the coat, it mosterizes it without leaving it sticky/gummy feeling.
 
I use a product called Silk Spirits by Chris Christensen, just rub a dime size into your palm of your hand and than work into the coat, it moisturizes it without leaving it sticky/gummy feeling.

Where can I find this "Silk Spirits"? I'd like to give it a go...static cling is my worst enemy!! :mad:
 
Usually at any dog show I buy it...they also sell it online...Im not sure if canada has the equalivant of cherrybrook or something like that...I actually brought this bottle at westminster when I went and it was only around $12 so not too expensive and lasts forever!
 
Yep, I bought silk spirits at the dog show last month... and yes it works great! I haven't used in on the pants, as of yet but my male gets really dry on his rump and I tell you silk spirits works miracles on dry hair.

Also, just like people hair, a good doggy conditioner helps with static.
 
This cracks me up that this was brought up..... I was looking at Marlie from behind the other day and instantly the song big butts came into my head!! She has the biggest butt with all of the fluff!! I guess I really need to tame it!! :lol:
 
Back
Top