Diarrhea: Go to vet or wait it out?

I feel for you. Your really wearing yourself out it sounds. I don't know how your doing all this but it is amazing you are hanging in there. Miko is very fortunate to be loved so well. I had a friend whose pet had to have eye ointment round the clock and she wasn't sleeping so I would come in and sit up with the cat to allow her to catch up on her sleep. I would wipe the cat down and brush her and run some laundry so she had clean towels and blankets to start the next week over again. Is there a friend or family that could come and give you a break so you could have some uninterrupted sleep? It might help you, it just might revive you enough to gain some strength back and not be so run down when you have so much going on and decisions to make on his health.
 
I think I may be sleeping on the couch again.

Look at him. How can I wake him up?

Besides, it's warmer in the living room since I cooked dinner in the oven and it warmed it up. :) Miko has been sleeping for the past 3 hours. I think I'm going to need to start going to bed with him at 9-10pm.

He pooped this evening. Looks like he's back to twice a day. It wasn't watery, but it was gooey. :( Poor thing. I may have to get that food tomorrow to help clog him up. This is getting ridiculous.
 
I feel for you. Your really wearing yourself out it sounds. I don't know how your doing all this but it is amazing you are hanging in there. Miko is very fortunate to be loved so well. I had a friend whose pet had to have eye ointment round the clock and she wasn't sleeping so I would come in and sit up with the cat to allow her to catch up on her sleep. I would wipe the cat down and brush her and run some laundry so she had clean towels and blankets to start the next week over again. Is there a friend or family that could come and give you a break so you could have some uninterrupted sleep? It might help you, it just might revive you enough to gain some strength back and not be so run down when you have so much going on and decisions to make on his health.

Unfortunately, I know no one here, so I'm on my own. I do get breaks, but it seems like it's when I'm wide awake (like 10-1am). I'm going to go to bed now, but I know I'll be up in about 2 hours, then every 30-60 mins until probably 7ish, or whenever he poops, I feed him, and he goes back to sleep for maybe 2-3 hours. I'm not sure how I can get on his schedule.

I am definitely worn out. This has been going on for over a week now and although he seems to be getting better, his poop isn't. But at least it's not liquid diarrhea, so that's progress.
 
We're doing okay. Miko is doing a lot better. His poop is still soft, but, long story short, I gave him some pumpkin in hopes to firm it up. He's also pooping more often. No clue if that's a good thing. He's walking around a lot more. And....he's sleeping in his normal positions and is able to get up on his own. Or if he's sleeping on his side, he's been able to get up. All good signs. He gets tired standing and eating, but he can eat on his own, yay.

He's sleeping right now, but I'm thinking he'll poop soon, so I don't want to go to bed just yet. I noticed he paces a lot when he needs to go out, but sometimes I can't tell if he's pacing or if he's off balance and wandering around.

Speaking of off balance, I noticed when he gets up, it takes about 10 seconds for him to find his balance and he's off. Big, big change.

So, overall, he's almost back to normal, minus the soft poop.

As for me....I sleep from about 2 am to 3-4 pm....if you can call it sleep. I feel okay, but I just get frustrated or upset faster. The only good thing is that Koji hasn't added to the frustrations. Okay, sometimes. Other times he adds to it. I'm surviving, thanks for asking.
 
Well, Miko didn't poop overnight, however, every time he gets up, I think he might so I'm up. Obviously, I didn't sleep well, but I feel rested. May try and take a nap soon.

And Miko just pooped, I think the pumpkin helped. It was orange and firm. YAY!!! And by firm, I mean, not mushy at all. Easy to pick up and no sticking to anything. Poor guy, I follow him around with a potty pad to catch it. hehe. But it works. He probably just thinks I'm crazy.

He's still not sleeping well, but that's somewhat typical. The drugs seem to work for a few hours, then he's up every hour after that. I think last night was the first night I actually got 2 hours straight. Sad, but true. However, he was able to get up almost every single time himself. Which means, if he had pooped before we went to bed, I wouldn't have woken up so much. It's the only reason I get up, so I can stop him from tromping through it and I can clean it up, then sleep.

Now that he's pooped, I'm sure I can get a few more hours in. I shouldn't have to worry about him too much either. Trust me, he'll yelp if he's stuck. But he's sleeping in his normal positions (not on his side), so that means he can get up himself.

Progress. Maybe I can get some sleep. Seriously, if I was working right now, I have no idea what I would have done. He couldn't be alone. This is when I'm grateful to be out of a job. And thankfully, the vet bill wasn't so bad.

I think we've finally gotten to the point of recovery and being able to see it. Again, thank you everyone for your support, suggestions, and well, everything. You don't know how much I appreciate it.
 
Excellent news, really sounds like you've turned a corner now. Your vet sounds great and very caring. I'm sure he'll be very pleased with the improvement. :smile2:
 
Back
Top