Diary of a Mad Housedog: Ellie's post board and train

Lahree

Forums Enthusiast
I have decided to keep a diary of sorts to track Ellie's progress after her two week board and train.

Day One:

Well, our first Ellie report isn't that good I'm afraid. Last night she slept like a drunk (which we expected) and that's fine. The cat came out and tried to interact with her about 5 different times but Ellie just opened her eyes and never even sniffed her. Something very disturbing is that now Ellie avoids coming near us at all costs (maybe she assumes she's going to get worked?). We crouch down and call her and she takes off the other way. She actually runs away from us in the house and she's never done that before. The cat got near her food bowl this morning and Ellie dove at her and snapped. She has never ever done that. She shares the food and water dish with the cat. Maybe this is her way of showing she's the boss of something?? For this first time this morning when she was outside she did not come when called. I had to actually go get her. She ran away from me and she has never done that before. Would it be a bad thing to give her a treat just for coming when called when she is outside? Would this do more harm than good? Since coming when called could be a life-saving thing, I worry about her not responding to that. Of course it's easier to reel her in with a leash dragging behind her, but this new thing of running away concerns me. I am assuming because she is testing the limits or, again, that she thinks she's going to get worked.

It's all very disturbing to me, but I realize that she has been away from home for two weeks, in a different enivornment, with a different handler, and with different rules. I expected different behavior when she came home but right now it's all a little disconcerting.
 
What kind of training was this? It almost sounds like you have a new rescue dog to deal with, one who is not sure of her surroundings, and does not trust her people.

Why would it be a bad thing to treat when the come to you? I keep a jar of cookies next to the door, they never know when they will get a cookie, so they all come running just in case this is the time.
 
I agree--random treats during recall are a great thing. Maybe she just needs some time to readjust. Give her a little time to remember that this is her home with people that love her. Let her know that all good things come from you.
 
What kind of training was this? It almost sounds like you have a new rescue dog to deal with, one who is not sure of her surroundings, and does not trust her people.

Why would it be a bad thing to treat when the come to you? I keep a jar of cookies next to the door, they never know when they will get a cookie, so they all come running just in case this is the time.

No, she isn't a rescue. We've had her since she was 8 weeks old. She's now 16 months old. She is a very, very willful dog and outside our scope of knowledge training-wise. We had an expert take her for two weeks to do board and train. The woman has been training dogs for over 30 years. She raises and competes in obedience with Shelties. She's a Sheltie expert.

I think Ellie s just going through a tough re-adjustment period. She's still stressed out and reaclimating herself. In other words, she's still pi$$ed off at the world, lol. She had to OBEY for Heaven's sake! LOL!
 
Use a tether, tied to you or dragging(in house) and long line(outside) until you are sure she'll come to you.:smile2: Ember went though that phase too at about 7 months. Sigh. Always praise and reward her for compliance even if she only took 1 step towards you before you got her.
 
Use a tether, tied to you or dragging(in house) and long line(outside) until you are sure she'll come to you.:smile2: Ember went though that phase too at about 7 months. Sigh. Always praise and reward her for compliance even if she only took 1 step towards you before you got her.

Very good idea! She has a leash and collar on during the day right now so we can get her for corrections easily. I take it off at night for sleeping.
 
... I think Ellie s just going through a tough re-adjustment period. She's still stressed out and reaclimating herself. In other words, she's still pi$$ed off at the world, lol. She had to OBEY for Heaven's sake! LOL!
Yep! Dog's are very contextual. She expected to come home and get away with same old stuff. She didn't know that you were being trained, too. :wink2::wink2:

I would do what Justicemom suggested. I know it's difficult when she acts like you're torturing her, but this is definitely a case where 'this hurts me more than it hurts you' applies. You're doing great!
 
We crouch down and call her and she takes off the other way. She actually runs away from us in the house and she's never done that before.

For this first time this morning when she was outside she did not come when called. I had to actually go get her.

I am assuming because she is testing the limits or, again, that she thinks she's going to get worked.

A couple of questions / thoughts come to mind:

In crouching down you may be giving her the impression that you want to play and she may be taking off with the hope that you will chase her ?

The suggestion to work on lead inside and out is a good one. At this stage you want and need for her to be successful in what she does. So keep your voice upbeat, praise the smallest successes with a party, and keep to short / frequent training sessions.

Does she like to play ? Will she tug ? or is she particularly food motivated ? Respond well to a clicker ? You might want to get creative with your rewards.
 
Ineresting I never expected her to come back such a different dog and I almost wonder how she was treated at the training place. I would as suggested keep treats around so she never knows when she is getting one, I keep several in my pocket. I would also keep her teathered to you inside and outside.
I think what Clantyresheltie was saying is she is like having a new rescue not that she is a rescue.
 
Ineresting I never expected her to come back such a different dog and I almost wonder how she was treated at the training place. I would as suggested keep treats around so she never knows when she is getting one, I keep several in my pocket. I would also keep her teathered to you inside and outside.
I think what Clantyresheltie was saying is she is like having a new rescue not that she is a rescue.

I think she was treated very well, but she was made to obey. Not mean, or nasty, just "this is the job and you CAN do it." I have complete faith in this trainer. You should see her dogs. Happy, friendly, loving, attentive. No fear, no cowering, just love, love, love and a willingness to please. I expected a complete turn around because she was in a completely different environment with a schedule and a different person and different dogs to interact with. And if you knew her personaility---she's just plain MAD! LOL! Like the trainer said--I couldn't phrase it better--"Ellie is willing to please--when it pleases HER."

We have had 100% success rate in our short inside exercises. Sit, stay, down, wait and come. She is happy to come now because our trainer called and talked to me at length and said to make sure that we didn't have her come to us and then take her outside to do the 10 minute "drill." She said when we did the 10 minute drill we were supposed to just pick up the leash and go. No calling us to her first. She doesn't want her to associate anything remotely negative with "come." Ellie will also be glad to hear that she gets some treats inside, alternated with praise and toys for a reward for being obedient. We are to keep everything short and sweet, always ending on a good note. We build up her confidence that way.

She seems much better this afternoon. Less grouchy. However, the cat has been hiding from her all day. Some don't forgive as easily as others. :wink2:
 
Last edited:
Back
Top