Dog Safe Mouse Poison?

Elei

Forums Enthusiast
Ugh.. I have a serious mouse problem. The best solution is to find all the places mice are getting in the house and block them, and I’m doing that. But it’s going to be a huge project, and getting the right materials for the project is slow because I can’t just go to hardware stores due to COVID.

I’d like to try poisoning the mice now, but I’m extremely concerned about secondary poisoning to my dogs and cat. I don’t think the dogs would eat a dead mouse, and I don’t let them in the yard unsupervised where they might find one. But I can’t be sure. The cat is worse because she is a hunter and goes outside whenever she wants.

Any suggestions for a poison that doesn’t harm pets? I’ve read about RatRX, and it is completely non toxic to pets, but I don’t know if it actually works. Probably worth a try since it’s so safe
 
I had roof rat issues in my ceiling many winters. The exterminator used a salt block so the pets wouldn't get secondary poisoning. I don't know how it worked, or even where you get it from (I doubt it was the one you give horses). But it worked and the rats would be gone within a fortnight.
 
A hardware store worker said they used Plaster of Paris with seeds in it to draw the mice in. I thought it was a weird solution but he said it works. Not a poison but when the mice/rats clean their paws from the powder they ingest the plaster of Paris and die from It hardening in their body.
 
Ugh.. I have a serious mouse problem. The best solution is to find all the places mice are getting in the house and block them, and I’m doing that. But it’s going to be a huge project, and getting the right materials for the project is slow because I can’t just go to hardware stores due to COVID.

I’d like to try poisoning the mice now, but I’m extremely concerned about secondary poisoning to my dogs and cat. I don’t think the dogs would eat a dead mouse, and I don’t let them in the yard unsupervised where they might find one. But I can’t be sure. The cat is worse because she is a hunter and goes outside whenever she wants.

Any suggestions for a poison that doesn’t harm pets? I’ve read about RatRX, and it is completely non toxic to pets, but I don’t know if it actually works. Probably worth a try since it’s so safe

Do not use the pellets!!!! Here’s my story! We had the pellets in the basements all tucked away from the dog she rarely went down there (Cocker Spaniel). Hubby was in the hospital with double pneumonia and I had to look in the file down in the basement for some papers to take the next day to the hospital and Sophie had followed me down. In front of the file cabinet was our artificial Christmas tree in one of those big bags you get for storage. I’m going through the files and hear crunching noises...remember mice store their food!!! There was a bunch of the pellets in a fold of the bag and Sophie was chow down on them. OMG! It’s Sunday night raining like you know what and the Vets office is closed. I called the emergency Vet Clinic and they said get her here NOW ( btw $100 just to go through the door). After the poor thing spent half an hour being induced to vomit she was put on vitamin k and we got to go home with a $300 vet bill. lol The Vet said she most likely had more in her belly than I realized as she is a healthy eater and had gulped it down and was glad I got her there so quickly. Since then no poisons we use the old fashion snap it kill it traps.
 
A hardware store worker said they used Plaster of Paris with seeds in it to draw the mice in. I thought it was a weird solution but he said it works. Not a poison but when the mice/rats clean their paws from the powder they ingest the plaster of Paris and die from It hardening in their body.


That’s actually an interesting thing to try as long as there is no where a dog can get near it, that will always be my concern I guess. We all know dogs find a way lol. By the way my town of “Paris” where I live had a mine for plaster of Paris aka gypsum plaster and that’s how it got the name not after Paris in France. Just a little info for you lol also know that Alexander Graham Bell made one of his first calls from our neighboring town of Brantford, Ontario to our town of Paris August 10, 1876..we have a plaque on the building in town...useless trivia :)
 
Coincidentally we are fighting rats in our attic right now. We have looked and looked all around the house and on the roof and can't figure out how they are getting in. Using old fashioned snap traps has gotten some of them but the ones now are so smart they somehow get the peanutbutter off the trap without it snapping....:( Since it's the attic no worries about the pups.

Gloria's idea might be worth trying if you can put the bait/plaster of paris in a secure area. I've found poisoned rats in our yard before (neighbors) that the dogs were way too interested in....:uhoh:
 
I put the plaster of Paris on a paper plate and sprinkled sunflower chips. Moved them around so they were coated.
I placed the plate behind a shed and have a fence surrounding the shed so no dog could get behind it. A week later all the seeds were gone and I never saw any more rats!
 
Do not use the pellets!!!! Here’s my story! We had the pellets in the basements all tucked away from the dog she rarely went down there (Cocker Spaniel). Hubby was in the hospital with double pneumonia and I had to look in the file down in the basement for some papers to take the next day to the hospital and Sophie had followed me down. In front of the file cabinet was our artificial Christmas tree in one of those big bags you get for storage. I’m going through the files and hear crunching noises...remember mice store their food!!! There was a bunch of the pellets in a fold of the bag and Sophie was chow down on them. OMG! It’s Sunday night raining like you know what and the Vets office is closed. I called the emergency Vet Clinic and they said get her here NOW ( btw $100 just to go through the door). After the poor thing spent half an hour being induced to vomit she was put on vitamin k and we got to go home with a $300 vet bill. lol The Vet said she most likely had more in her belly than I realized as she is a healthy eater and had gulped it down and was glad I got her there so quickly. Since then no poisons we use the old fashion snap it kill it traps.
That had to be a horrific experience for both of you! Thank goodness you were so proactive!
 
Last edited:
Back
Top