Doggie Door Questions

Oh how terrifying! My parents is built into the wall, to the left of the sliding glass door, which opens from the right side, so they wouldn't need to worry about that. A strong argument for getting the doors that go into the walls instead of the ones that go onto doors.

What ended up happening?

Being "locked up" and away from everything, seems the only thing he wanted was to feel "human" again by being in a real home oh, and a beer and a cigarette! Fortunately he really couldn't take anything because he had no way of taking it back to a cell. The solution to that was to just install a lock higher up the door that was out of reach, it really is not so easy to get in those doggie doors unless you are a small person. As we all know, almost all homes with a Sheltie security system in place will NEVER allow this entrance! :yes: In over 6 years of having the doggie door, it was a one time occurrence with no other problems, just wanted you aware that it is a possibility.
 
Skunk in the doggie door!!!

That's right. We were remodeling our kitchen and the dogs slept with us in the bedroom. I woke up early one morning hearing a strange noise. The dogs stayed with me (good thing) while my husband went to investigate. A skunk had come in the doggie door to eat the kibble that was in a dish on the floor. We had no idea what to do!!!

It was far to early to call animal control, and it was a weekend. We ended up calling the police (not 911) and asking them what to do. They had animal control call us. We had some big boxes so we blocked all the exits to any other part of the house and waited for it to get light. Fortunately the skunk left and didn't spray anywhere in the house. He did leave us a present though. Ugh. I'm just glad the dogs were not free in the house that night. It would have been disastrous, and quite smelly.
 
I too installed the same doggie door JacqueZ described but you won't like my response. I loved the door and the convenience of Bambi being able to be in the small fenced yard whenever she wanted, sometimes she just wanted to go lay in the sun for awhile. Never had any critters or any bugs, however, my husband and I both worked law enforcement and some of the inmates were used as grounds crews, so they were around the animals and befriended them, so when he worked half his body through the door just enough to be able to reach the doorknob Bambi let him come in. It can be done, so that has to be a concern you might want to think about. Don't want to scare you but you know the saying, "knowledge is power". Hope this helps.

Trust me, you're not going to scare me, I'm already thinking the worst. It's why I posed the question in the first place. If anyone broke into my house, anyways, Koji wouldn't do a darn thing. Probably just beg for food or wait for them to drop food. Then escort them to the door.
 
This is how I feel. My dogs are never outside unsupervised, so I don't like the idea of them going out and me not knowing what they're up to. They could be eating mushrooms, or rabbit poop, or barking at the neighbor's kids--all things I'd rather them not do. Also, we have coyotes so I want to be out with them. And lastly, I like to know when/how they potty. That way I know if something is wrong health-wise.

I totally understand this side of it too. I think for myself, it would depend on my backyard. If it looked like yours, yeah, no I probably wouldn't it. However, what I'm envisioning in my head is an area fenced off from the rest of the yard, where he can go outside, not get into anything as I would check the area, then come in. It would be there for the days that when, like cookiep, I can't be home. I'm already out of the house 11 hours and Koji now uses his puppy pads (which in truth, is happening only because it's on top of the spot he marks) and he eats his poop if he poops in the house. I only know, because I can see the poop marks on the pad and sometimes he leaves a piece.

I too would like to know his "goings", but honestly, sometimes it'd be nice to go out and not have to worry about him. Or only able to go out for a short time cuz I have to go let him out. I think it stems from not being able to be away from Miko for more than 4 hours. That was rough. It wears you down when you KNOW you CANNOT be away from home for more than 4 hours. I guess I'm just looking for a bit more freedom.
 
That's right. We were remodeling our kitchen and the dogs slept with us in the bedroom. I woke up early one morning hearing a strange noise. The dogs stayed with me (good thing) while my husband went to investigate. A skunk had come in the doggie door to eat the kibble that was in a dish on the floor. We had no idea what to do!!!

It was far to early to call animal control, and it was a weekend. We ended up calling the police (not 911) and asking them what to do. They had animal control call us. We had some big boxes so we blocked all the exits to any other part of the house and waited for it to get light. Fortunately the skunk left and didn't spray anywhere in the house. He did leave us a present though. Ugh. I'm just glad the dogs were not free in the house that night. It would have been disastrous, and quite smelly.

Oh yikes. I much rather take a present than the smelly other one. :) I'm glad it worked out. I know the door I had, had a metal plate that you could use to close off the door. So nothing can get in when you dont' want to. Definitely will buy one of those if I ever get a door. Do NOT want that kind of visitor. I am so glad it just walked out.
 
we have a doggy door- not using it currently because I do want to know when the pups are out. when the pups are a little older- we may use it again......
our horror story is that Happy is the reason we got the door- he had some issues from being in the shelter for so long. he would go outside- if he could get outside. but then the tree stump in the corner rotted and took some fence boards with it and then Happy learned how to get out of the fenced yard. so no more doggy door while he was still around- but I like to keep an eye on the shelties so for the time being, I get up and let them in and out......
 
I might not be your favorite poster today but . . .

Personally, no to doggy doors. Where I live we risk everything from a rattler to a skunk to more getting in. We also risk the dogs getting bit by rattler, skunk, etc. while they are outside or getting out and into the pastures with the goats or the llamas who will happily kill a dog.

However, I just wanted to say IF you get a cat, doggy door is out the window unless you let the door go out into a covered dog run kind of set up. That could be quite pleasant, put steps/ramp/cat tree up to an elevated walk about and let cat go out there too and climb and bask and enjoy nature that way. Just pointing out a possible alternative to accommodate all possibilities.
 
Ive had a dog door for about 14 years now..no to other animals coming in on their own..yes to the damn cat bringing in animals and then forgetting he brought them in while they were still alive...Maybe no to the animals coming in because its soo high up?? IDK. there is about 12 steps to my deck so its not like its ground level. Flies do come in through the hole someone chewed on the corner in the summer...I do need to order a replacement..Mine was built into the sidelights on my french door so I can close and lock a door still if I wanted to...which comes in handy when I want the dogs either in or out..mostly outside when im cleaning the house.
 
I might not be your favorite poster today but . . .

Personally, no to doggy doors. Where I live we risk everything from a rattler to a skunk to more getting in. We also risk the dogs getting bit by rattler, skunk, etc. while they are outside or getting out and into the pastures with the goats or the llamas who will happily kill a dog.

However, I just wanted to say IF you get a cat, doggy door is out the window unless you let the door go out into a covered dog run kind of set up. That could be quite pleasant, put steps/ramp/cat tree up to an elevated walk about and let cat go out there too and climb and bask and enjoy nature that way. Just pointing out a possible alternative to accommodate all possibilities.

Don't worry, I appreciate all feedback, good and bad on both posts.

And this gives me ideas of what I'd like my backyard to look like. :)
 
Thanks everyone. I appreciate all the positive and negative feedback. I'm starting to think more about how I can create a safe haven in the backyard with a door. I don't have a house and when I buy one, my goal will be to have some land so I can do agility out there.

I saw this one house for sale...it sat on about 2 acres. But what I loved was that there was a fenced in portion surrounding the back side of the home. It didn't encompass the 2 acres, just a very small area. I thought, that's genius! I can let the dogs out, but they don't have access to the entire 2 acres, just the area I want them to.

And then the doggie door came into my mind and I wondered what kind of critters could come in, etc, especially if I'm on a piece of land like that.

I'll be honest, my ultimate goal will be to have about 2-3 acres (fenced in preferably), a house on that land, with a fenced yard, and a barn to house my indoor agility ring. The rest of the land, well, will be for supervised play for the dogs.

More thinking to do. I'm making a plan and all this feedback helps me determine if I'd want a doggie door or not.
 
Back
Top