Dr Shelties

mmcginty

Forums Enthusiast
(Title not intended as a pun.) :yes:

I had a not-so-little accident a couple of days ago, involving my hand and a table saw. The surgeon said that as long as I don't pull any sutures or get an infection, I'll get to keep my left index finger and will still have some feeling and motion... yeah, I know, not good, but could be way worse...

In any case my little Shelties have been very concerned, it's like they're taking shifts staying next to me. And they're on their best behavior, as curious as they must be about the soft cast on my hand, they're staying well away from it. Just having them there improves my frame of mind immeasureably. (I guess that's always the case, as I think of it, but when times are tough they really shine.)

A friend that came up to help me through this ordeal didn't want to let me sleep with my doggies, worried about keeping things antiseptic. But the emotional impact of that on me was pretty bad given all I'd been through, not to mention all the anxiety that keeping us separated was causing my Shelties, so we put a pillowcase over my hand to compromise... and she still didn't let my Shelties into my room until I woke up again (the pain killers took over while I was waiting for her to "dry their paws".)

When I finally had them near me again I almost forgot to take more pain pills, so my only conclusion has to be, Shelties are good medicine -- with no negative side-effects! :yes:

-Mark


btw, a word of caution: be extra careful when using power tools, it turns out that they're quite dangerous... the damage they can do in a fraction of a second is more than extreme.
 
First of all, I'm so sorry about your accident. I work for a commercial cabinet manufacturer and we have saws the size of small rooms. I'm always afraid something is going to happen!

Our shelties are GREAT MEDICINE. Mine cheer me up, make me feel better and make me feel loved beyond measure. I too would want them with me in my bed. I would imagine that someone would be hard pressed to keep mine out of my room if they thought I was sick. When I close the door to the bathroom if I'm throwing up, Cooper throws himself against the bathroom door.

They are awesome!
 
I too, am sorry to hear of your accident. It's amazing how things can go SOOOO wrong in a split second. Take care of yourself.

And yes, our Sheltie furbabies are so caring and concerned when they can sense something is wrong. If I'm sick with a cold or flu, they come and SNIFF to see if I'm OK, and lay with me constantly. OUR SHELTIES ARE THE BEST!!!!:yes:
 
I'm sorry to hear about your hand! Take good care of it and please be careful until it heals. We all know that Shelties are THE BEST MEDICINE so send your friend here and I guarantee we'll convince her. In the meantime, perhaps a switch to manual saws is in your future....:uhoh:
 
First of all, I'm so sorry about your accident. I work for a commercial cabinet manufacturer and we have saws the size of small rooms. I'm always afraid something is going to happen!

Our shelties are GREAT MEDICINE. Mine cheer me up, make me feel better and make me feel loved beyond measure. I too would want them with me in my bed. I would imagine that someone would be hard pressed to keep mine out of my room if they thought I was sick. When I close the door to the bathroom if I'm throwing up, Cooper throws himself against the bathroom door.

They are awesome!

I agree completely about feeling loved, Shelties really know how to show it. I hope I'm nearly as good at reciprocating, because the feeling is very much mutual. :yes:
 
I'm sorry to hear about your hand! Take good care of it and please be careful until it heals. We all know that Shelties are THE BEST MEDICINE so send your friend here and I guarantee we'll convince her. In the meantime, perhaps a switch to manual saws is in your future....:uhoh:

Thanks Ann. Hand saws can be pretty dangerous too, I'm thinking more along the lines of hiring-out when I need woodwork done. :yes:
 
Ouch, sounds like you did a dandy job and happy you have your finger.
Accidents can happen so fast, I do myself in with a knife, so I would never consider a saw. Stupid fingers just get in the way.

Glad to hear the shelties are comforting you, I believe they do sense when something is wrong.

Hope your back in action, without a saw of course, and you heal ASAP.
 
I too, am sorry to hear of your accident. It's amazing how things can go SOOOO wrong in a split second. Take care of yourself.

And yes, our Sheltie furbabies are so caring and concerned when they can sense something is wrong. If I'm sick with a cold or flu, they come and SNIFF to see if I'm OK, and lay with me constantly. OUR SHELTIES ARE THE BEST!!!!:yes:

Thanks Angie... it is amazing... shocking even.

About their sniffing, last week my little girl Brandy was really, REALLY interested in a spot on my scalp, she sinffed and sniffed and sniffed some more, I'm pretty sure there's nothing about that spot that she doesn't know. I think maybe I should have it checked by a dermatologist or something.
 
Just wanted to say that I am glad that you are okay--am sending healing thoughts that you have speedy recovery.

And shelties--keep up the good work!
 
So glad your finger will be alright. Take care of it. I have seen what damage a table saw can do - my Dad, a carpenter, hit the blade with two fingers two different times. Heal quickly and well. You are correct when you indicate that Shelties are great medicine. They bring comfort and healing to us in measureless ways.

Take care.
 
Back
Top