so, I took Ruutu, who is now 10 weeks old, to the vet for the first time for his 2nd shot and a puppy physical... of course I get there, there was an older woman there and her granddaughter and she immediately asked me what breed he was, told her and she's like I thought it was! and they were all thrilled and petted him. Then this woman comes out with her dog (with NO leash on) and then comes back in and sees him, plays dumb like she didn't notice my dog the 1st time (okay, maybe she didn't) and then goes "oh my!! what happened to his ear!!!" I tried to explain to her that he's a Sheltie so you glue their tip of their ears down so they grow up to have a crease and not stand up.. and told her how this is the standard in confirmation as well. She just stares at me like I'm an idiot and I tell her how Shelties are not the only breed that go through this.. once again.. I get the idiot stare and that I'm crazy.... 
Then, we go in to the room and the vet technician asks us what he's in for (first off.. shouldn't you know this.. but whatever) then looks at him and his ears and basically cringes and asks us why we would glue his ears... reallly.....
Luckily, the vet who did his puppy physical and shot understood why they were glued and she was about to look in his ears and was like "oh wait they're glued, I almost messed up your ears!" so in the end.. luckily the vet was smart enough to know that this is a common thing in Shelties...
It's one thing to just not know, it's another thing to look at me like I'm stupid... yes I'm 23 years old so it is a possibility, BUT I've been around Shelties since before I was born!!! (My parents used to breed).
Ok rant is over
anyone else experience this?? What do you say to them?
, and couple people asked about her ears in general. When I explained everything, they all kinda gave me funny looks, but I threw in there that it doesn't hurt her and I was super careful when changing the tape (I used a combination of glue, japanese tape, and moleskin because she was determined to have prick ears. And she does now!). Luckily nobody made any comments about me abusing or hurting my puppy, because I wouldn't have handled that well. I am very self conscious about my dog already. I'm like one of those moms who gets really hurt any time someone criticizes their parenting or their baby...

Other times, I do the long explaination
That's what my fiance said afterwards to me. He's used to mini schnauzers and he's like at least his ear isn't clipped nor is his tail docked...
that's such a good way to say it. 