ear glue rant

Perhaps I am a bit callous, but my response to unsolicited negative comments is a polite, "not ya business", followed by less polite responses as (and if) the comments persist.

I'm like you; I save my ire for big things. There's already enough aggravation in life without creating it for yourself!

But if my next-door neighbor calls my Dickens a collie one more time, I'm gonna break his neck!!!! :gaah (Just kidding!) :biggrin2:
 
As a new member, I have hesitated to weigh in on a few topics since I joined to learn and not to muddle up the discussions with my lack of knowledge. I am here to "hopefully" avoid mistakes as I search for the perfect four footed companion.

This thread however, has piqued my curiosity. Here (as in SEVERAL other thread topics) there seems to be an inordinate amount of time and angst experienced over comments and impressions shared with Sheltie owners by unknown, non Sheltie owning (perhaps non dog owning), chance encounters regarding how you raise your dogs. I just don't understand why ANYONE would care (or entertain) such comments. I understand being concerned over comments shared HERE, particularly because comments are usually in response to a query posed. PLUS, there is obviously a high degree of knowledge here even over issues where some disagreement may exist. But for RANDOMLY shared negatives, why should we care? Am I missing something?

Perhaps I am a bit callous, but my response to unsolicited negative comments is a polite, "not ya business", followed by less polite responses as (and if) the comments persist.


I don't think anyone is entertaining such comments, unless they see an opportunity for meaningful discussion with the commenter. As for caring, well, it's tough to put up with the same types of comments about your dog/the way you train/the way you raise/care for/etc, from those ufamiliar with the breed or responsible dog ownership in general, without eventually getting irritated.

I haven't gotten too many unusual comments about Olive, lately it's been sideways glances at the Thundershirt when we're at stores (it's almost like a scarlet letter, it seems). There is a woman we run into occasionally on our walks who has told me that Olive is not, in fact, a Sheltie, because they "don't come in that color". I explained that Olive is purebred, with a highly respectable pedigree, but this woman said I was suckered. :rolleyes2: Oh well... my dog's smarter than her anyway!

People who make comments like those mentioned in this thread are not doing the breed any favors, and I think that is a large part of the reason we are quick to be annoyed by those comments.
 
Ugh.. I just had an employee at Bass Pro Shop last week telling me repeatedly how mean I am and that I'm hurting my puppy because his ears are glued. He also told me in a not so nice way how I'm spoiling him because I was carrying him (we were on a pier looking at boats.. hmm call me crazy but I a.Didn't want his paws getting between the boards or b.Getting near the edge. Also had multiple people make comments about him being in the cart.. Didn't want him on the floor (much) because there was an Easter event going on and peole, children, and carts EVERYWHERE and he's just baby, didn't want him stepped on or run over. Also, after an hour and a half he was so tired from all the stimulation that he would just sleep if I put him on the floor. People frustrate me. So judgemental when they don't understand.
you did the right thing... I don't let my puppy walk anywhere that I don't know what's going on. Plus, if they don't have all their shots, it can get him sick.
 
I don't think anyone is entertaining such comments, unless they see an opportunity for meaningful discussion with the commenter. As for caring, well, it's tough to put up with the same types of comments about your dog/the way you train/the way you raise/care for/etc, from those ufamiliar with the breed or responsible dog ownership in general, without eventually getting irritated.

I haven't gotten too many unusual comments about Olive, lately it's been sideways glances at the Thundershirt when we're at stores (it's almost like a scarlet letter, it seems). There is a woman we run into occasionally on our walks who has told me that Olive is not, in fact, a Sheltie, because they "don't come in that color". I explained that Olive is purebred, with a highly respectable pedigree, but this woman said I was suckered. :rolleyes2: Oh well... my dog's smarter than her anyway!

People who make comments like those mentioned in this thread are not doing the breed any favors, and I think that is a large part of the reason we are quick to be annoyed by those comments.
haha I could just see the color comment. but to me, if you're going to say any color doesn't look like a sheltie, I would say the blue Merle is out there. Still a sheltie, but a different pattern.

I don't like people making comments about my dogs because I believe you should correct people so they know what they're talking about.. so maybe next time someone sees it they're not so in shock. That being said, when people call them lassie or mini lassie or mini collie... I just say.. yes.. it's a Shetland sheepdog.... and move on my way :biggrin2:
 
That being said, when people call them lassie or mini lassie or mini collie... I just say.. yes.. it's a Shetland sheepdog.... and move on my way :biggrin2:

When Clara was a puppy, we had her on a walk. Some woman in a van drove up and asked how much we would sell her for. We told her she wasn't for sale (Don't care that we WERE walking three other dogs at the time, not selling my puppy.) The woman followed us, checkbook in hand and finally said, "But I want a Toy Collie." My husband stopped and said, "First of all, it's a dog, not a toy, and we told you she isn't for sale. Do some research first!" She finally drove off and he said some things he learned in his years as a sailor. :wink2:

We did keep an eye on our yard for a few days though.
 
haha I could just see the color comment. but to me, if you're going to say any color doesn't look like a sheltie, I would say the blue Merle is out there. Still a sheltie, but a different pattern.

I don't like people making comments about my dogs because I believe you should correct people so they know what they're talking about.. so maybe next time someone sees it they're not so in shock. That being said, when people call them lassie or mini lassie or mini collie... I just say.. yes.. it's a Shetland sheepdog.... and move on my way :biggrin2:

Every time we see her I think to myself how awesome it would be if I could have a sheltie of every color, in a line in front of me, charging down the sidewalk in formation, blocking the way of everyone else, intimidating all the lesser breeds and leaving all the humans quivering in the wake of the awesomeness. :cool::biggrin2: It would be like a slow-motion action movie sequence. Shelties takin' charge and takin' over.:pop
 
When Clara was a puppy, we had her on a walk. Some woman in a van drove up and asked how much we would sell her for. We told her she wasn't for sale (Don't care that we WERE walking three other dogs at the time, not selling my puppy.) The woman followed us, checkbook in hand and finally said, "But I want a Toy Collie." My husband stopped and said, "First of all, it's a dog, not a toy, and we told you she isn't for sale. Do some research first!" She finally drove off and he said some things he learned in his years as a sailor. :wink2:

We did keep an eye on our yard for a few days though.

Perfect example of why we should never let our dogs out of sight. That woman may be harmless, but you never know. People steal dogs all the time, and the irresistible-ness of shelties is undeniable.:yes:
 
Perfect example of why we should never let our dogs out of sight. That woman may be harmless, but you never know. People steal dogs all the time, and the irresistible-ness of shelties is undeniable.:yes:
big time. that's like when my fiance's crazy aunt mentioned we should just tie the dogs outside to go potty instead of us always running out. uh. no thannnnk you. I like my dogs.
 
Every time we see her I think to myself how awesome it would be if I could have a sheltie of every color, in a line in front of me, charging down the sidewalk in formation, blocking the way of everyone else, intimidating all the lesser breeds and leaving all the humans quivering in the wake of the awesomeness. :cool::biggrin2: It would be like a slow-motion action movie sequence. Shelties takin' charge and takin' over.:pop
:yes: film it i'd pay for it :biggrin2:
 
Back
Top