Feeding your dog meds.....not sure what to try next

BarbV

Forums Celebrity
Ok after apout 3-4 years of trying to feed Bacca pills, he has gotten really smart.

He has learned how to regurgitate his pills even after I shove them down his throat. Seriously! He swallows them up then spits them out once I'm sure he is done! Then I walk by and find spit up pills

Pill pockets, forget it. He won't touch them anymore

Peanut butter, chees whiz, yoguort....sometimes they work, sometimes not.

I though I found magic with potatoe salad ....that worked for about a week.

Now I'm onto crushing pills into beef gravy. So far so good, but I'm sure he will get smart about that soon too.

Anybody out there who has to feed 4 pills per day? How do you do it? p.s. I also have to squirt 4 ml of Lactulose twice per day on top of the meds...:cry::confused2:
 
Hollie was very difficult too. I don't have many suggestions b/c no matter what we tried she still spit them out. I tried hiding them in hot dogs or wrapping them in lunch meat or cheese. But it never worked for her. I ended up just shoving them down. She wouldn't touch the pill pockets either.

Now we are lucky with Shelby. She thinks pills are dog treats. She begs for them.
 
Chauncey was too smart with his flea pill. I just put it in the back of his throat and hold his mouth while rubbing his throat and feel the gulp. When I worked for a vet years ago we had a pill syringe you could really get it back of the throat well.
 
I got lucky with braunschweiger. Mackie loved it and it would form a nice ball that stuck together around the pill. Of course Mack was more of a gulper than a chewer so the whole ball went right down. I could never get the cheese to hold together, and the pill usually fell out of the hot dog.
 
I have tried all kinds of stuff too. Cream cheese works for the schnauzers. First I give them a lick of the plain stuff & then I sneak in the pill. For the cats if I have a capsule I open it & dump the stuff in whipped cream. They lap it up. But again I give some plain 1st. Maybe try acting like you're eating something & share with him. I have even had leftover pigs in a blanket & shoved the pill inside the "pig". By the time they realize it the stuff is eaten.

Good luck! Sometimes having a smart dog is tough.
 
I crush all of Deska's tablets now and then I put the powder in pet milk, he got too good at eating around the tablets. Only thing I can't do that with is the tramadol (tastes so bad).
 
You've gotten alot of good suggestions so far. Maybe you could rotate how you give him the pills? Don't give them to him the same way two days in a row, so that, hopefully, he doesn't catch on.
 
I don't know if this will work for you, but a couple of my friends (both super skeptical - one with a cat, another with a dog) tried it and it worked for them.

I basically shaped Juliet to eat her pills slowly. Took some time, but she started taking it willing on her own. She wouldn't eat it before and I had to hide it in food most of the time, and other times stuff it down the back of her throat, or break it up/squeeze it out into her food.

http://youtu.be/XHt9_pf-nK4
 
:gaah I'm right there with you and I only have to give Honey Trifexis once a month... We've now decided to crush it up a little and mix it with wet dog food that she loves. We'll see how long that works though
 
My mom has to grind up her dog's thyroid pill because if the pill is whole, she'll spit it out of whatever it is hidden in. I think she mixes it with a little wet food.

I recommend grinding it (if the medicine doesn't require to be taken whole) and mixing it with anything that smells good... beef gravy, chicken baby food, canned food, pumpkin. Hopefully, the smell of the food overpowers the pill and he doesn't notice. Good luck!

Bailey is just like Indy. She's a pig and will eat anything. If I drop something on the floor, she will grab it up without even sniffing it, so I have to be very carefully when handling pills or food. When I cook (which is rare!), I block off the kitchen. I always joke and say she would eat cardboard if I put it in her bowl. When she was on meds, she would just eat it whole. I put pills in her bowl without even mixing it and she eats it. She's a little slob. In a way, it's good thing because if she refuses food, I know something is seriously wrong.
 
Back
Top