Feeding your dog meds.....not sure what to try next

if you blow on their nose while holding their mouth shut its a reflex and they swallow..

I love that idea. Will have to try it.

Barb - can you see if the tablets come in a human form or an injectable form? With Deska's Tramadol, he would take the tablet when I got the human tablets, but when I switched him to the vet form he hated them. I realised it was because the human form was enteric coated to prevent the sour taste. Now with all his meds I investigate if they come in soluble, injectable, crushable forms or go for the human enteric coated ones.
 
if you blow on their nose while holding their mouth shut its a reflex and they swallow..
im lucky besides Mia (who doesnt like anything) when mine hear pills they get excited and think they are going to eat...side effect of pilling molly for so long I created a bunch of addicts!! LOL:lol:

I will definitely try that.

It seems that everytime I try something new, it lasts for a couple of days and then he figures it out again. (and yes, I'm talking about grinding pills into wet dog food, yoguort, peanut butter, cheez whiz, potatoe salad, now gravy.

He is not into treats at all. He does like a little bite of sweet potatoe and does love carrots. So I think I might try canned potatoe or pumpkin next, and also shaved carrots.

And yes, its aggravating because everytime I feed Bacca his meds, Indy thinks Bacca is getting treats and he is left out. So Indy is starting to get quite aggressive about it.

I could start to deal with Indy by treating him I suppose by making him wait for it, while Bacca gets his meds, but he is turning into a porker already, and the whole med thing takes about 40 minutes per day as it is.

I'm at my wits end.
 
I will definitely try that.
And yes, its aggravating because everytime I feed Bacca his meds, Indy thinks Bacca is getting treats and he is left out. So Indy is starting to get quite aggressive about it.

I could start to deal with Indy by treating him I suppose by making him wait for it, while Bacca gets his meds, but he is turning into a porker already, and the whole med thing takes about 40 minutes per day as it is.

I'm at my wits end.

You could try shutting Indy in the other room with a frozen kong, raw hide, deer antler, etc. I like to put peanut butter or cheese in the crevices of the raw hide, the dogs will spend a long time chewing and licking to get it out. It should give you some time to give Becca his pills without Indy getting all moody.:wink2:
 
I'm lucky... I put them in the palm of my hand and hold it in front of his face and he grabs it fast because it might be a cookie.

This is how my last dog was.....anything was a potential treat and was hoovered up as fast as possible.


For my other dog I have to wrap a pill in cheese. I make 4 cheese balls and only one has a pill. I feed them quick. Cheese, cheese, pill, cheese.

This is how Riley takes meds. If I put the pill in the first Cheese ball, he spits it out, but by the third or fourth one, he is no longer suspicious. Of course, he is also the dog that runs away if I open the "doggie medicine" cabinet or even the human med cabinet. Let's not even dare to make the crinkle noise of pill packages being opened either......it takes me 2-3 minuted to get him to come near me again.

Barb-Is Bacca less suspicious of the treats if Indy gets one also? I noticed that if Riley needs meds when another dog is over, I don't have to give him a few empty treats first. I give one to the other dog, then Riley gets the one with the meds and he gobbles it right down.
 
Sucess! and I'm an Idiot!

Well, I'm an idiot (and NO, no one needs to chime in to confirm my assessment!) LOL!

So all this time, and I'm a pet store owner with thousands of products....then suddenly today I find that I have a pill plunger in the store. Never knew that I had this product! :o

Brought it home tonight, and one quick squirt and two pills instantly down his throat! Halleulhah!

Voila! Pills and Lactulose via syringes down in 5 seconds flat! And yes, I blew on this nose and stroked his throat just to make sure!
 
I never had a problem wih any of the shelties,but Earnhardt was the one that gave us issues. We did what Linda does,and blew in his nose. it worked.
 
Back
Top