First Trial

corbinam

Moderator
Hi everyone!

Bentley and I will be entering our first trial on the 29th here in Charleston. I'm so excited (and a bit nervous!) It's funny how what I've learned so far...that when Bentley "messes up" it's almost always my fault! I was just wondering if anyone has any tips or pointers to share. We aren't looking to qualify, just have fun and get some good experience.

Oh, and we are only doing Jumpers and Gamblers since we aren't yet proficient on weaves :)

Thanks!
 
Oh you are going to have fun!!! Once you get in the ring the agility bug will have bitten you and you will want more.You will want to get there early and find a place for your stuff unless you plan on working out of your car.Is this USDAA or NADAC? You will have a judges briefing and you have to make sure your dog is checked in and when the scribe calls your name make sure you are there or you miss your run.Make sure you have your number on before you enter the ring.Most of all just have fun with your dog and I bet you Q and win!!!!!:yes:
 
This one is USDAA. I guess we better get there early and hope Bentley calms down some (he's a barker!)

Thanks for the tips, and don't worry, I'm already hooked on agility and we haven't even competed yet!
 
Agility

You may want to consider AKC for your next trial. I know you said Bentley isn't proficent on the weaves. In AKC Novice weaves dont count. There are only 6 poles. You just have to complete them. You would be in Novice A.:yes:
 
Good luck!

I'm scheduled for my first trial, a CPE trial in Slippery Rock, PA, at the end of June so believe me, I REALLY understand that combination of excited and nervous. You may want to try CPE if it is offered in your area. Level 1 CPE doesn't have to worry about the Teeter or Weaves.

Best piece of advice I can give you is have fun with Bentley! Without the fun, nothing else matters. :)


(That reminds me... I need to go price X-Pens for Edan while at our trial.)
 
Last edited:
Oh, loads of luck to you all! I love agility, but I'm a complete beginner so Cadbury has sort of become my practice dog. I'm nowhere near ready to compete yet so I appreciate all the effort and energy you must have put into your dogs to reach this stage. Do let us know how you get on. :wink2:
 
Thanks everyone--I will let you know how it goes! Good luck to all of you all getting started (and those of you who have been doing it for awhile) in agility. It's so much fun!
 
Ashley-

I'm going to try to make it out to the trial on Friday evening to give Snap some exposure to it all. I'll keep my eye out for any and all shelties and their handlers. Any idea yet what the order might be for the runs ?
 
Running order

Thanks again, guys!

Katherine--I'm not sure of the running order yet. They've sent out some information but I'm so confused by it all that I'm not quite sure when is what.

Here's what I got in an email (for Friday):

Event Running Order
Fri - 26/22/16/12
Performance II Snooker (22/16/12/8) - 4 Entries
Advanced Snooker - 4 Entries
Performance I Snooker (22/16/12/8) - 4 Entries
Starters Snooker - 10 Entries
Performance II Gamblers (22/16/12/8) - 4 Entries
Advanced Gamblers - 5 Entries
Performance I Gamblers (22/16/12/8) - 7 Entries
Starters Gamblers - 12 Entries
Performance II Standard (22/16/12/8) - 3 Entries
Advanced Standard - 3 Entries
Performance I Standard (22/16/12/8) - 7 Entries
Starters Standard - 12 Entries
Performance II Jumpers (22/16/12/8) - 4 Entries
Advanced Jumpers - 7 Entries
Performance I Jumpers (22/16/12/8) - 5 Entries
Starters Jumpers - 11 Entries

So unfortunately I'm not sure what time things start, or how long each will take. Maybe you can make some sense of it!
 
Back
Top