Food your dogs go crazy for?

jerros

Forums Enthusiast
I know food is a highly debated topic on this forum in terms of what to feed, what's good, and the like. But here is my situation...

I picked up my pup from the breeders at 2 months, at the time he was eating Purina One puppy (chicken & rice) and I kept him on it until he finished about 2 bags of the stuff (I didn't want to switch him to something else until I found something I was confident in feeding him, was in budget, and also easily purchaseable locally because I'm an incredible procrastinator.)

After that I decided to use Wellness kibble puppy formula. He's gone through one 5lb bag, and just started on a new bag. He eats the food but he's not "Crazy" about it like he was his purina one.

Well last week Vash was having some tummy problems and I took him to the vet. The vet gave me 3 cans of Hills Perscription Diet ID and told me to feed it to him for a few days. You would not believe how much Vash loves this stuff. I take out the can from the refrigerator and he is trying to figure out exactly what he needs to do to get fed. He sits, lays down, whimpers, ect.

I know the hills stuff isn't all that great (Not sure about the perscription formula). But I would love to feed my pup some food that he had this reaction over, and that I could be confident about feeding him. So I was kind of wondering if there were any particular foods that your dogs seemed to go this crazy over?

Vash is going to be due for a food change, likely after his neutering happens which should be about the time this bag of kibble runs out.
 
I can't recommend a food because my dogs go crazy over anything, but did want to comment. Typically pets will be more excited about "worse" foods. They have more fat content, and also have additives to make it smell more enticing. I mean, I know I get more excited about chocolate cake than a salad :)
 
I can't recommend a food because my dogs go crazy over anything, but did want to comment. Typically pets will be more excited about "worse" foods. They have more fat content, and also have additives to make it smell more enticing. I mean, I know I get more excited about chocolate cake than a salad :)

I completely understand that. I mean the lower quality foods are esentially like giving candy to your pup. But there has to be something equivilent food wise that's good for him, and tastes almost as good as the candy.


Right now Vash is a vaccume cleaner, he eats darn near anything (yesterday I had to pull out some of the foam wrapping used for packing out of his mouth when he found it on our walk). But there aren't too many things he goes this wild over. The only equivilent I've found is the Chicken/Turkey hot dogs I've fed him for treats.
 
You mentioned that he wasn't crazy about wellness kibble, but loves I/D canned.

Can food smells sooooo much better than kibble (to dogs of course :wink2:). That's probably why he goes crazy over canned food.

Sometimes I mix a little canned food with my dogs kibble. She goes crazy and gobbles it all down in 2 seconds.

When you transition him back to kibble food, you can always mix a little bit of canned food to entice him and make him excited about food again. Just make sure you only put a little but of canned food and gradually increase it, so he doesn't get a tummy ache.
 
You mentioned that he wasn't crazy about wellness kibble, but loves I/D canned.

Can food smells sooooo much better than kibble (to dogs of course :wink2:). That's probably why he goes crazy over canned food.

Sometimes I mix a little canned food with my dogs kibble. She goes crazy and gobbles it all down in 2 seconds.

When you transition him back to kibble food, you can always mix a little bit of canned food to entice him and make him excited about food again. Just make sure you only put a little but of canned food and gradually increase it, so he doesn't get a tummy ache.

Hrmm I did have a cupon for buy one get one free wellness stew. Maybe I'll try adding some of that to his normal kibble and see if his reactions the same.
 
It's funny that you mention it, because Wellness was the only dog food that Smudge has ever gone crazy for. :eek2: Until recently he was never a picky eater.
 
I can't recommend a food because my dogs go crazy over anything, but did want to comment. Typically pets will be more excited about "worse" foods. They have more fat content, and also have additives to make it smell more enticing. I mean, I know I get more excited about chocolate cake than a salad :)

Mmm... chocolate cake...

Interestingly enough, if you want to switch a dog to raw, you just hand them a piece of meat. 90% of them take that meat, say thank you very much and move on. Cats, OTOH... I hear there are support groups for people trying to switch cats to raw. Cats are so addicted to the sugars and additives in the foods that they don't want to eat anything else. Like getting a kid to eat veggies.
 
Sca goes in phases. He is now back in a food me phase where his kibble rocks (soon to be changed to adult dog food) other times he still eats it but is not as enthused. Now treats and cheese he almost spins for and he is not a spinning sheltie.

As long as Vash eats all of his food and is healthy why worry? I mean general food for you is not always a treat right? That is what treats and desert are for. Now if he won't touch it or it bothers his system that is another thing altogether.

After all that the answer is:
Sca gets Innova Puppy now as it was available and rated high

I am waffling on swapping him to Innova Evo or a Blue Buffalo product. I am happy with the Innova but the thread on them being bought has me concerned about long term quality. Blue, Orijen and Wellness seem independent still.... hmm need Sca food today...

http://www.sheltieforums.com/showthread.php?t=5702&highlight=innova
 
You could definitely try putting a tablespoon of wet food into the kibble. My babies LOVE when I do this. My favorite reactions are to anything Merricks, particularly Wingalings. I keep a glad container for wet food to put it in the fridge. Also, having a food with a few flavors to rotate can keep him interested.
 
Back
Top